Can anyone help a noob with programming an EA from this indicator? - page 2

engcomp: ...If you use the EA just for entry and monitor the exit manually (can't be done in back testing), it is highly profitable...

Engcomp, do you have an example of an Exit which cannot be done in back-tests? :) 

zzuegg:

hi, even if the code is removed by the OP the code is still in the database of the forum.

you can change the link of some other post, or if you don't want to guess the original filename you could ask the cache of a search engine ;)

I am not sure if SimpleEntry.ex4 is public domain or an indicator that OP bought.

In any case, I wouldn't bother because the signal quality is very similar to Heiken Ashi, which is public domain.

ubzen:

engcomp: ...If you use the EA just for entry and monitor the exit manually (can't be done in back testing), it is highly profitable...

Engcomp, do you have an example of an Exit which cannot be done in back-tests? :)

For example, the size of trailing stop is set in Properties and can't be reset while the test is running because the properties window is grayed.

Unless there is a way to change properties when a test is running? If there is, I would like to know because I want to do a back-test of FAPturbo.

To do that, I need to get into Properties to enter my license number, which gets set to 12345 when the test chart loads.

engcomp:

For example, the size of trailing stop is set in Properties and can't be reset while the test is running because the properties window is grayed.

Unless there is a way to change properties when a test is running? If there is, I would like to know because I want to do a back-test of FAPturbo.

To do that, I need to get into Properties to enter my license number, which gets set to 12345 when the test chart loads.

And why not change the trailing stops within the ea? For example set the trailing stop to a static variable instead of a global variable and do calculations on it. I don't know much about commercial software back-testing. There would seem allot of bottle-necks there from both the software maker, meta-trader and brokers for reasons I'd rather save for another topic ;)

ubzen:

And why not change the trailing stops within the ea?
My experts do change the trailing stop within the EA based on the SAR value. I also have the possibility of setting stops dynamically based on ATR. I only quoted the above as an example of not being able to trade manually within a back test to answer your question "Engcomp, do you have an example of an Exit which cannot be done in back-tests?" The simple matter of closing a position manually cannot be performed within an EA test.

Viffer:
See now you've gone and peaked my interest.... I was going to take a look at what the iny does but I see OP has been back to the thread to remove the original code. Always fun to play around with this stuff... oh well.

I did the same for CY 2009, and am currently optimizing it on one of my desktops... I wouldn't trust it though cuz my backtest data sucks (like 42% accurate).. But look at the initial optimization results.. I wonder, is it profitable because of the indicator is good or is it just coincidental that the SL and TPs are perfectly set..

PS. unlike engcomps findings, mine are positive.. but i'm using a trailing stop as % of profit (ie trailing stop always = X% of the trade's profit) I'm not an expert on it so tell me what you think.

engcomp:
My experts do change the trailing stop within the EA based on the SAR value. I also have the possibility of setting stops dynamically based on ATR. I only quoted the above as an example of not being able to trade manually within a back test to answer your question "Engcomp, do you have an example of an Exit which cannot be done in back-tests?" The simple matter of closing a position manually cannot be performed within an EA test.

Why would you want to close an order manually within an EA test? IMO: this is a psychological issue which would most certainly transfer to real trading. If you have a Criterion within your head for closing an order manually, why not transfer it into programming language. If your answer is because you don't have the technical knowledge of programming such an EA then I'd agree with you. If you answer is because it's Not programmable then I wanna know what it is. I'm just asking because I don't wanna waste my time trying to learn how to program something which is Not programmable.

heyarn:

I did the same for CY 2009, and am currently optimizing it on one of my desktops... I wouldn't trust it though cuz my backtest data sucks (like 42% accurate).. But look at the initial optimization results.. I wonder, is it profitable because of the indicator is good or is it just coincidental that the SL and TPs are perfectly set..

PS. unlike engcomps findings, mine are positive.. but i'm using a trailing stop as % of profit (ie trailing stop always = X% of the trade's profit) I'm not an expert on it so tell me what you think.

The numbers look suspicious. For example:

Line one has a drawdown of $5,960, TP 0.0085 and SL 0.002 (20 pips). At lot size 0.1, the drawdown equals 298 consecutive losses of $20. Total trades is 257!

The risk/reward ratio of 20/85 looks about right, but most other trades have very high risk ratios, up to 1760/125.

Personally, I couldn't stand by and watch a trade go south by 1760 pips.

ubzen:

Why would you want to close an order manually within an EA test? IMO: this is a psychological issue which would most certainly transfer to real trading. If you have a Criterion within your head for closing an order manually, why not transfer it into programming language. If your answer is because you don't have the technical knowledge of programming such an EA then I'd agree with you. If you answer is because it's Not programmable then I wanna know what it is. I'm just asking because I don't wanna waste my time trying to learn how to program something which is Not programmable.
Dear ubzen, when I trade "live" I watch the position my EA has instigated very carefully. Most of the time, I let the EA prevail. But every now and again, I see signs that tell me to close the position before the EA would close it at a worse price. These signs are a combination of past experience, intuition, and subconscious processing. If I knew how to program such a complex process, I would, but I don't. So you might as well agree with me.
Reason: