Using NN with MT4 - Need asst with DLL usage (errors)

Greetings all,

I was about to shoot a msg to the author of the Fann app, but remembered the msg from (here) earlier from the guy who wanted his EA written for him - so I thought that I'd post here first,

Here's the set-up [ for those who may/maynot be interested]

I added this Fann NN EA to my MT4 app this afternoon, ran a sample set of data thru it and recv'd the msg that MT4 wont allow DLL calls.

Umm. I say to myself - this is odd.

2010.05.30 21:35:35 2010.05.28 22:59 Fann2MQL EURUSD,M5: dll calls are not allowed; 'Fann2MQL.dll'-'f2M_destroy_all_anns'

Can someone please explain what I need to do to tell this app to do as I wish it to do?

oh ps.

I am new to forex

I am not new to programming

I studied NN's in school but that was 30 plus years ago.

and it's taken me all day to learn how to install this app - I didn't even know this sort of thing existed until this morning.

Anyways

Please advise. (se attached for additional stufff)

TNX

FX1023JohnB wrote >>

2010.05.30 21:35:35 2010.05.28 22:59 Fann2MQL EURUSD,M5: dll calls are not allowed; 'Fann2MQL.dll'-'f2M_destroy_all_anns'

Can someone please explain what I need to do to tell this app to do as I wish it to do?

Are DLL's enabled?

Tools > Options > Expert Advisors > Tick 'Allow DLL imports', Untick 'Confirm DLL function calls'.

gordon:

Are DLL's enabled?

Tools > Options > Expert Advisors > Tick 'Allow DLL imports', Untick 'Confirm DLL function calls'.

This, it turns-out, to be both a THANK YOU letter and a rant to the App developers.

I knew, coming into this thread that it was likely to be something straight-forward.

Duh – Enable the Libraries.

I have to say that I like this app because it’s written the way that I would have written it.

However ! Disabling the Libraries as the default is rather counter intuitive.

As an aside, I can understand Libraries, esp. Dynamic ones to be disabled because of environmental or security [to the app] reasons, HOWEVER, I do strongly believe that the App could ‘see’ that I was utilizing the EA editor and therefore enable the DLL’s or notify me that I should manually enable them – or certainly that the Compiler could be modified so that it could flag this event. Either warn me that I was compiling source that contains a ref to a DLL

or ( a little out of scope) enable DLL usage programmatically.

The reason I feel strongly about this is because the instructions ‘imply’ that I should use test data from Jan 1 to about March 31

– about 100 days of (5-minute) data. His set took 4 days to run ( to train) on a single processor cpu.

I only wasted a full day. I would have been really upset had I used the same data set (as the author).

I’ll have to anyways, to confirm my init results – but something this basic and something this critical “Should” have flagged me well before the app “Successfully” finished.

Note: I use the term ‘Successfully” because in fact, the app did finish successfully. It was not until I checked the log that I happen to notice that some of the functions failed to run.

TNX again for the advise.

FX1023JohnB

The only person you need to aim your 'rant' at is the EA's maker. If he gave you specific instructions then they should have mentioned that DLL's should be enabled.

MQ has implemented this system for our own good. Any attempt on MQ's part to make it a little 'easier' to use DLL's would have turned into a security hole. And obviously it should be disabled by default! The majority of users don't even know what DLL's are.
Reason: