Trailing Stop : Does it work for you? - page 5

doshur :

would you like to describe a little more how it helps?

what kind of strategy are you using? Trend or Range? Time Frame?

I would like to do some case studies. 

Important news, that pose the market against the original trend.

Some days back I was thinking about this thread and this thread > https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/12373

Previously I have a bias that using trailing stop hurts profits but when I think again on the thread : Do you agree optimising TP and SL will curve fit

I think have trailing stop actually makes the EA more robust and less curve fitting.

What do you think? 

Do you agree optimising TP and SL will curve fit
Do you agree optimising TP and SL will curve fit
  • www.mql5.com
You have just registered and most likely you have questions such as, "How do I insert a picture to my a message?" "How do I format my MQL5 source code?" "Where are my personal messages...

@ doshur: What do you think? 

Trailing Stop help to protect the profit you already made.

You can set a minimum distance to keep between price and trailing stoploss
and also allow this distance to grow as a ratio or % of the order profit, like 3/4

or also set it (the trailing stop) to the volatility in the last % of the order duration from its opening

You can set conditions to detect a retracement and close the order before the price hit the actual stoploss.

All this can help.

oddpip:

Trailing Stop help to protect the profit you already made.

You can set a minimum distance to keep between price and trailing stoploss
and also allow this distance to grow as a ratio or % of the order profit, like 3/4

or also set it (the trailing stop) to the volatility in the last % of the order duration from its opening

You can set conditions to detect a retracement and close the order before the price hit the actual stoploss.

All this can help.

Trade management is a very tricky issue. It can make the EA very very robust.

It's a very interesting poll, in my opinion trailing stop must no be used as a workaround solution or a bypass when the strategy fail.

In other words, if you have a good strategy, it must precisely define the exit point of any trade. The exception that proves the rule is when you use trailing stop as an easier or safer algorithm to code the strategy exit point.

figurelli:

It's a very interesting poll, in my opinion trailing stop must no be used as a workaround solution or a bypass when the strategy fail.

In other words, if you have a good strategy, it must precisely define the exit point of any trade. The exception that proves the rule is when you use trailing stop as an easier or safer algorithm to code the strategy exit point.

How do you define your exits points? Does your EA checks the market condition and decide when to exit?

doshur:
How do you define your exits points? Does your EA checks the market condition and decide when to exit?

As a developer I must test all kind of money management I know, and for sure several exit points tatics, and, why not, trailing stop.

So what I stated before is just a conclusion of what I measure and I believe, but maybe one day some new money management based in trailing stop can surprise me and teach me something different.

launic:

Hi Doshur,

My opinion is that Trailing Stop purpose is to avoid losing accumulated profits when some unpredictable events occur,

overall it can be usefull if the stops are placed at calculated points, I personally used the parabolic sar points to trail the stop loss.

KR.

normaly i'm use TS 300 points (30 pips) without TP , if you look in the 1 H chart you see the return on single candle is normaly half candle max 75 % of single candle. anytime when the return is more then 100 % of the previous candle is better to entri in sell :).

so if you are in gain is ok any time when close with TS. 

I used trailing stop quite frequently in order not to miss a bigger profit possibility :-)
Reason: