EA not showing up in MT5 after downloading

Hi,

I've never used any of the Metatrader software packages before but have decided to make the leap and give MT5 (demo - AlpariUK) a try.

I downloaded an EA from the Code Base and put it in the Experts folder. When I re-start or refresh MT5 the EA dosn't show up.

Is this because its only a demo account and has limitations?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew

Documentation on MQL5: Standard Constants, Enumerations and Structures / Environment State / Account Properties
Documentation on MQL5: Standard Constants, Enumerations and Structures / Environment State / Account Properties
  • www.mql5.com
Standard Constants, Enumerations and Structures / Environment State / Account Properties - Documentation on MQL5

andyduvall:

Hi,

I've never used any of the Metatrader software packages before but have decided to make the leap and give MT5 (demo - AlpariUK) a try.

I downloaded an EA from the Code Base and put it in the Experts folder. When I re-start or refresh MT5 the EA dosn't show up.

Did you follow this ?    How to download code using MetaTrader 5

andyduvall:

Hi,

Thanks

Andrew

Where the directory of this Expert folder ? If it is in installed directory, then you have to run MT5 with /portable command.

Here's the simple solution : open MetaEditor (press F4 from MT5), click "File" menu and click "Open Data Folder", and then look for MQL5/Expert folder and save your EA there. Double click the EA to open it in MetaEditor, and compile it by pressing F7.

See if the EA appear in MT5. 

phi.nuts:

Where the directory of this Expert folder ? If it is in installed directory, then you have to run MT5 with /portable command.

Here's the simple solution : open MetaEditor (press F4 from MT5), click "File" menu and click "Open Data Folder", and then look for MQL5/Expert folder and save your EA there. Double click the EA to open it in MetaEditor, and compile it by pressing F7.

andyduvall:

Hi,

Thanks

Andrew

The biggest issue that I have in getting an EA to be recognized by metatrader 5 is when I am using a windows 7 computer. I am not a windows expert but I understand that for some reason microsoft does not allow files to be copied into the program files directory. I dont have these problems on my windows XP machines. (I have windows XP at the office and windows 7 at home)

To get around this, what I do is open up the metaeditor program from within the metatrader 5 terminal. Under the "File" menu item, click the "open data folder". this gets me to this directory:

C:\Users\Main092212\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal\D0E8209F77C8CF37AD8BF550E51FF075

This is the directory windows 7 uses for the metatrader 5 user files. It will probably be different for each computer. 

In the righthand pane I then click the "MQL5" directory, then the "Experts" directory, then the "Advisors" directory. So I end up with this:

C:\Users\Main092212\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal\D0E8209F77C8CF37AD8BF550E51FF075\MQL5\Experts\Advisors

I paste the EA here. If it is mql5 code, I open it up in the metaeditor and compile it. At that point the metatrader terminal will then find it.

This works for me , hopefully it will help you.

CappinJack:

The biggest issue that I have in getting an EA to be recognized by metatrader 5 is when I am using a windows 7 computer. I am not a windows expert but I understand that for some reason microsoft does not allow files to be copied into the program files directory. I dont have these problems on my windows XP machines. (I have windows XP at the office and windows 7 at home)

To get around this, what I do is open up the metaeditor program from within the metatrader 5 terminal. Under the "File" menu item, click the "open data folder". this gets me to this directory:

C:\Users\Main092212\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal\D0E8209F77C8CF37AD8BF550E51FF075

This is the directory windows 7 uses for the metatrader 5 user files. It will probably be different for each computer. 

This is related to UAC . . .  the simplest way to avoid UAC issues is to not install MT5 (or MT4) in the Program Files folder,  instead use something like C:\MT5Installs\ 
User Account Control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
User Account Control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • en.wikipedia.org
To reduce the possibility of lower-privilege applications communicating with higher-privilege ones, another new technology, User Interface Privilege Isolation is used in conjunction with User Account Control to isolate these processes from each other.2 One prominent use of this is Internet Explorer 7's "Protected Mode".3 Operating systems on...

RaptorUK:
This is related to UAC . . .  the simplest way to avoid UAC issues is to not install MT5 (or MT4) in the Program Files folder,  instead use something like C:\MT5Installs\ 

Hi

Yes the "open data folder" did it.

Thanks very much for you're help

Cheers

Andrew

I also had this problem in Windows 8 Pro, and the solution was to find a folder that Windows creates for MT5, which is:

C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal\F49F6D84DE337BA25E6F8205834F0EB8\MQL5\Experts\Advisors

Detail that my UAC was already disabled since before installing MT5.

tcferreira:
I also had this problem in Windows 8 Pro, and the solution was to find a folder that Windows creates for MT5, which is:

C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal\F49F6D84DE337BA25E6F8205834F0EB8\MQL5\Experts\Advisors

Detail that my UAC was already disabled since before installing MT5.
It's always a good idea to read the documentation ;-)

phi nuts #:

You are the man! 

Your answer helped me a lot! :)

I have a EA, .ex5 that only shows up as an EA when in the subfolder, Experts/Examples  (?) and doesn't run.  In the Metaquotes language editor it doesn't see it as an MQL 5, .ex5 program, though it shows the correct icon.  If I try looking under 'All files *.*' it shows but gets kicked out and won't open.  I bought it here and have tried to open under Win 11 and Windows 2012 Server w/o success. Could there be some lock preventing it from even compiling?

Any help is much appreciated.

@jonboy700 #:I have a EA, .ex5 that only shows up as an EA when in the subfolder, Experts/Examples  (?) and doesn't run.  In the Metaquotes language editor it doesn't see it as an MQL 5, .ex5 program, though it shows the correct icon.  If I try looking under 'All files *.*' it shows but gets kicked out and won't open.  I bought it here and have tried to open under Win 11 and Windows 2012 Server w/o success. Could there be some lock preventing it from even compiling? Any help is much appreciated.

If you bought it via the Market, then yes, it is "locked" and will only work when downloaded and activated via the proper procedure (the "Market" subfolder).

It will not work on any other computer except on the one where it was activated on.

And, as of the most recent build 3800, it will only run if you are also logged on with the MQL5 Community credentials used to buy it.

Forex Market – App Store of MetaTrader 5 trading robots, Expert Advisors and technical indicators
Forex Market – App Store of MetaTrader 5 trading robots, Expert Advisors and technical indicators
  • www.mql5.com
An official showcase of applications for trading from the terminal
Reason: