strategy tester speed

How can I make the test faster?

Sometimes goes faster than other with the same set up. 

Maybe is something on my computer that I have to reset, ? 

relaxtrading:

How can I make the test faster?

You can use only M1 OHCL, but in this case the result will not exactly.

You can upgrade your CPU.

You can use the Agents Cloud.

BR: Gábor

When you say same setup, do you mean same settings on the input tab? or same settings on the settings tab?

Reason for me asking is because I read in the manual that if the pass count(in my terms iteration count - found on the input tab by selecting inputs) goes beyond a certain threshold number (depending on 32bit operating and 64bit operating machine) your optimization AUTOMATICALLY changes to "generic fast algorithm". Only way to confirm which algorithm the tester use for sure is to check your generated log file.

So you can use the same settings on the "settings" tab but if you change your inputs in such a way the the count increase to a very high number...the terminal will pick its own algorithm...which I hate...I'm the customer ...give me what I asked for...hope metatrader reads this post. If I go past a high count, let me learn...then I later will know I should use the cloud...but now I don't learn because the terminal was quick on "Slow complete algorithm" (but in true reality it was fast generic) now I feel happy with the obtained results and release my bot...and to my amazement I lost all my money...

anyway let me stop here... wasting my time :) ans yours.. 

my pc is a intel pentium 3.00GHz   3.24 GB RAM  with XP Professional   I use it only for MT5 so is pretty clean of rubbish.

I use the same inputs tab and inputs on setting tab. Only change the period. 

you can buy a new computer which have strong configuration example core i5,core i7

I am doing some strategy testing and I don't know why stops testing. I am doing 2011/2012 and 23/09/11 strategy tester stops. Another one was 03/01/12 to 28/12/12 always stops 09/01/12 . I tried in three different MT5 with similar results.

Why is working like this? 

OK.

I test with similar inputs , just changing the start and end date. From 2004 until 2012. I can run the strategy tester for 2004 and it takes 2 minutes, the same for 2005, and 06, but specially with 2011 and 2012 it takes 3 hours. I can understand why is doing that.

Anybody knows the reason. Any help will be very appreciated.  

You are crossing a number of different issues here from setup, speed and execution stopping, so I hope this helps you a little...

1. The MT5 optimiser will switch automatically to the faster genetic algo once it hits a certain number of tests (shown on left of testing progress when in test) I believe the number is 100,000 tests above this it will automatically use genetic. Which to be honest if you are running that volume of tests you are still using a broad brush so using the genetic algo is unlikely to give you detrimental results and will save you a lot of time.

2. Are the run times really unpredictable? you must run the same EA, on the exactly the same data, dates and timeframes with the same settings including optimisation settings, only if you are then getting variable run times can you say it is being unpredictable.

3. Look in the logs files and it will tell you all about the history data being used, the tests being run etc.  

4. Does your strategy only use new bar processing? ie: if you only calculate indicators etc and take action with a new bar, then you could run it in open price mode only, no tick data but much much faster.

Documentation on MQL5: Language Basics / Functions / Event Handling Functions
Documentation on MQL5: Language Basics / Functions / Event Handling Functions
  • www.mql5.com
Language Basics / Functions / Event Handling Functions - Documentation on MQL5

Many thank Max

I am very new to mt5 platform. My knowledge are very limited.   The EA I'm trying to run is very basic, without indicator and oscillators. Also it is not optimized. Only stoploss, Take profits.

The only things that I need to be able to use are "random delay" and "every tick" to be sure that the result are closed to reality. Without that I don't see the point to use strategy tester.  Can you tell me if the mt5 "data" for all previous years is capable to run , random delay and every tick  execution? I think that it should be ok, but I don't know for sure. 

I can do a test of 2008-2009 with "every tick" but if I put "random delay" don't move at all is like freeze. Without "random delay" it takes 40 seconds. The trades on the "open time" column every trade is 28.01.02 00:00, all of them are 00:00, it has not specific time. What does supposed to mean?
Documentation on MQL5: Standard Constants, Enumerations and Structures / Trade Constants / Position Properties
Documentation on MQL5: Standard Constants, Enumerations and Structures / Trade Constants / Position Properties
  • www.mql5.com
Standard Constants, Enumerations and Structures / Trade Constants / Position Properties - Documentation on MQL5

I am trying now to use cloud network but something is not working good. I tried first with "core 1" and it starts without problem. Then i disable it and activate it cloud network. As you can see in the jpg file, all are available and ready. When click on start in settings nothing happens. I have enough credit so I don't know what is wrong.

Any idea? 

Files:
33.JPG  258 kb
Reason: