backtesting strategy

No. You have to write an EA based on the indicator - how would the indicator perform tests?

Or you mean visually backtest - for that, start a visual backtest with a random EA, and then attach your testing indicator to the chart that is opened.

ThomasB:
No. You have to write an EA based on the indicator - how would the indicator perform tests?

Or you mean visually backtest - for that, start a visual backtest with a random EA, and then attach your testing indicator to the chart that is opened.
hey thomas. aiite. so i have to create an EA based on the indicator or backtest with random EA? so what are the difference between backtesting an EA based on an indicator and a visual backtest with random EA? thanks alot as im a newbie.. >. <

by the way thomas, i was asking for the difference in results of both backtest strategy. lotsa appreciation. =]

The first one, the non-visual backtest, you automate the strategy, so that the entries and exits are automatic. That way it tests it for you.

You could also use a random EA that does nothing, and start a visual backtest. That way you can add your indicator to the chart from the visual backtest, and paper-trade your strategy yourself on that past data that is shown. You can use the simulator to pause the backtest to take a better look. So this way you would not automatically backtest your strategy, but manually.

ThomasB:
The first one, the non-visual backtest, you automate the strategy, so that the entries and exits are automatic. That way it tests it for you.

You could also use a random EA that does nothing, and start a visual backtest. That way you can add your indicator to the chart from the visual backtest, and paper-trade your strategy yourself on that past data that is shown. You can use the simulator to pause the backtest to take a better look. So this way you would not automatically backtest your strategy, but manually.
so thomas this is what i did, tell me if im wrong..
well basically i backtest a random EA on a chart..the results are reflected and i chose a custom indicator and attach to it.
what do u think? =]

No - you backtest a random EA just for the data - you need to manually see where you could enter with your indicator, and where to exit, and how much profit you would make doing that.

ThomasB:
No - you backtest a random EA just for the data - you need to manually see where you could enter with your indicator, and where to exit, and how much profit you would make doing that.
okay. well let's say for example that i apply the fx5 divergence indicator on the chart that reflects the random EA result..it does show the buying and selling signal. =]i guess i know my buying and selling point then?

You can to write EA which performs random trades with set in OrderComment() values of any indicator. Then you may to collect statistics in deinit() function and to analyse it.
How to do it you may see here - http://www.alpari-idc.ru/ru/articles_mql4/23.html

Rosh:
You can to write EA which performs random trades with set in OrderComment() values of any indicator. Then you may to collect statistics in deinit() function and to analyse it.
How to do it you may see here - http://www.alpari-idc.ru/ru/articles_mql4/23.html
thanks alot rosh. but im afraid it's not in english? =]
Reason: