Symbol() OR NULL ?

I've seen in alot of indicators that if there is any sub-indicator, like an indicator based on moving averages, stochastichs or so, those sub-indicators inside an indicator either have the symbol set to NULL or to Symbol(). Whats the difference between it?

Proximus:
I've seen in alot of indicators that if there is any sub-indicator, like an indicator based on moving averages, stochastichs or so, those sub-indicators inside an indicator either have the symbol set to NULL or to Symbol(). Whats the difference between it?
NULL is a special constant and equals int 0, and can represent "the current chart symbol" for many functions, although not all . . . Symbol() means the current chart symbol.

RaptorUK:
NULL is a special constant and equals int 0, and can represent "the current chart symbol" for many functions, although not all . . . Symbol() means the current chart symbol.

so it's more accurate to use Symbol() if the indicator is only running on the plotted chart and doesnt take data from other ones?

Proximus:
so it's more accurate to use Symbol() if the indicator is only running on the plotted chart and doesnt take data from other ones?

It is more logical. Using a substitute for integer zero, which name is NULL, and placing it where a string is expected, it is rather misleading.

Proximus:

Not more or less accurate but certainly is unambiguous and less prone to causing errors as it's harder to use incorrectly. It will probably be imperceptably slower . . .

RaptorUK:

I am probably tired, but Symbol() isn't always the current chart symbol ?

angevoyageur:
I am probably tired, but Symbol() isn't always the current chart symbol ?

Yes it is . . . but NULL "equals int 0, and can represent "the current chart symbol" for many functions, although not all . . . . "

RaptorUK:
Yes it is . . . but NULL "equals int 0, and can represent "the current chart symbol" for many functions, although not all . . . . "

Oops...yes I am tired
Reason: