Is MT5 strategy tester better than MT4? - page 2

It means - if visual mode for one platform is slower than for the other platform so it does not mean that ST is bad or good for any of them. For example - I am using visual mode for MT4 just sometimes only (almost not used for me), and I used visual mode for MT5 just because "it is interesting". But I am using ST for MT4 and MT5. I mean: visual mode is not a criteria for ST to be good or bad. At least for me sorry. Besides, as I see - visualization window is separated in MT5 ...

RaptorUK:

I'm a little confused by your response . . .  I have only used the MT5 Strategy Tester for the first time this week so I'm not sure why I would know very much about the MT5 ST.

In MT4 I verified the operation of my EAs by viewing the trades taken,  I do this by looking at the screen captures taken by the EA for each trade placed,  I can only do this using Visual mode,  why is it wrong that I should expect to be able to do the same with MT5 ? 

I changed my test EAs,  they both do virtually nothing now . . .

For a run of 1 month using Visual mode 

MT5  -  37 mins 

MT4  -  3 mins

OK,  I see part of what is happening now,  the tick counts in the MT5 data are far, far higher than the MT4 data.  My MT4 data is averaging in the region of 900 ticks for a H1 bar,  my MT5 data is averaging in the region of  4000 ticks for a H1 bar with some H1 bars having more than 20,000 ticks (> 5 tics/sec)  is this normal ?  or did I just pick a bad Broker ?

newdigital:
It means - if visual mode for one platform is slower than for the other platform so it does not mean that ST is bad or good for any of them. For example - I am using visual mode for MT4 just sometimes only (almost not used for me), and I used visual mode for MT5 just because "it is interesting". But I am using ST for MT4 and MT5. I mean: visual mode is not a criteria for ST to be good or bad. At least for me sorry. Besides, as I see - visualization window is separated in MT5 ...

Visual mode is critical for me,  it's the only way I can check that my code is doing what I intended it to do.

Many traders from other forums know that I do not like backtesting at all. I prefer trading on demo account instead. But if we compare ST for MT4 and MT5 so MT5 ST is more advanced.

I know some coders and traders who are looking to convert their EAs to mql5 only because they want to optimize the settings for it. Because they can do it easy in MT5 ST with more proven results than in MT4 ST. Besides, there is some proposal from traders to Metaquotes to separate ST from MT5 to be standalone software to be used for MT4 as well (it was some proposal on this forum for example).

If I (or someone) create new complex EA and want to optimize the settings and to backtest - I will convert this EA to mql5 for this purpose. 

RaptorUK:
Visual mode is critical for me,  it's the only way I can check that my code is doing what I intended it to do.

How can you check which indicator's line crossed the other line for many trades during the one month - if you are doing it for 3 minutes? How many trades? 100? 20? and you can check all crossing, all bugging in EA, all signalling, all dots on the chart, all the price for every trade during one month just for 3 minutes?

Why do you need a speed with this situation?

newdigital:

How can you check which indicator's line crossed the other line for many trades during the one month - if you are doing it for 3 minutes? How many trades? 100? 20? and you can check all crossing, all bugging in EA, all signalling, all dots on the chart, all the price for every trade during one month just for 3 minutes?

Why do you need a speed with this situation?

I don't use Technical Indicators.  Each time a trade is closed at SL or TP my EA takes a chart grab,  when the run is complete I have 100, 200, 1000 or how ever many trades have been taken, chart grabs.  I can look at the chart grabs and determine if the trade was taken correctly or not and thus determine if my code is correct or not.  If I want to test 3 years of data this would take in the region of 2 hours on MT4, if the EA is not taking many trades it become necessary to test a longer time range to find coding issues.

Yes, I understand - you are checking post-factum (checking the chart after backtesting finished). In this case - you may care about speed but it is special case. Because ... as to me so I am checking indicators (indicators' values) on the chart compare it with the trades.

Because I am not a coder, and if someone creates EA for me so I will check it in visual mode (check the trades aginst indicators' values or any), and the speed is not important for me.

By the way, we all are ST Backtesting Billionaire people (turn 1K to few millions for few months? no problem at all) :)

Reason: