Moving from MQL4 to MQL5 Questions

Hi everyone,

So far, I like the fact that I can run multiple strategies on multiple assets to get a better picture of my DD. Also, I can forward test, use the debugger, in addition to other things. One thing I'm having trouble with, is the ability to read information about positions.

For instance, OrderCloseTime and OrderClosePrice were two things that were useful in MT4. I cannot find them here or find a solution to analyze trades without having to write another thousand lines of code.

I read the articles and stuff, but it seems like it can be a pain keeping track of ticket numbers and etc.

Please give me some advice.

Thanks

Are you ready to give up MT4 for MT5 ?

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

Are you ready to give up MT4 for MT5 ?

Alain Verleyen, 2016.04.21 13:15

Hello all,

If you are not aware about it, you have to know that Metaquotes is pushing hard for traders and brokers to adopt MT5. They are currently developing MT5/mql5 to fill in all the missing features that prevent the switch to MT5 from MT4.

In addition, as we promised last year, we will open the ability to write plug-ins for the Data Feed platform. This will have its own custom tools and their history.  

Brokers will get facilities to migrate MT4 account to MT5 :

Terminal: In addition to hedging support, the new platform version provides wider opportunities for migrating accounts from MetaTrader 4. Now, brokers can automatically transfer accounts to MetaTrader 5, including all operations: open and pending orders, and complete trading history.

So, what's your opinion, will Metaquotes succeed or traders will stay hooked to MT4 ? What will you do personally ?

"Disclaimer" 

The topic is hot, so please keep calm and polite. I am not employee of Metaquotes and don't have any interested on MT4 or MT5, so don't blame the messenger.

Sergey Golubev,

I feel that the API needs to be improved a lot. I don't mind learning a complicated language if it's powerful and all the extra stuff is justified, but with MQL5, it seems like I have to write a hundred line of code to do anything. Like, I'm frustrated that there's no OrderCloseTime or OrderClosePrice. These are very important functions and I cannot figure it out to save my life, why those important functions were left out. I'm sure I can get creative and come up with something, but man, is MetaQuotes trying to annoy potential programmers of the language?

Thanks

Chris:

Hi everyone,

Please give me some advice.

Thanks

Nobody is holding you back to just stick with MQL4.

I agree with what you said, and i have been thinking along the same lines for a very long time.

Is there a reason you want to switch platforms?

Marco vd Heijden:

Nobody is holding you back to just stick with MQL4.

I agree with what you said, and i have been thinking along the same lines for a very long time.

Is there a reason you want to switch platforms?

Hi Marco vd Heijden,

The reason is because I want to be able to run a strategy on multiple assets at a time. This gives you a more accurate picture. Also, I can forward test in addition to other things.

Thanks

Try to use MT4Orders. It brings MT4 orders look and feel into MT5.

Stanislav Korotky:
Try to use MT4Orders. It brings MT4 orders look and feel into MT5.

Hi Stanislaw Korotky,

Just now seeing your post. This looks promising :). Thanks a zillion. I'll try it and hope that it bug free and etc. It has over 4 stars, so I'm sure that everything should be fine.

chrizpro17:

Just now seeing your post. This looks promising :). Thanks a zillion. I'll try it and hope that it bug free and etc. It has over 4 stars, so I'm sure that everything should be fine.

Unfortunately, there is no software without bugs. Anyways, it's open source - so you can fix bugs if you find them.
Reason: