MT4 End Of Life - page 3

narco #:

I don't mean this specific indicator. I am talking about the 100's of thousands of MT4 users who have been happily going about their business with MT4 and their indicator stack.

Metaquotes have done zero to assist those users migrate. They've not even told users to migrate, why or when. All we have a single line saying it is soon to become End of Life with no other details.

Nobody uses MT5 apart from just executing trades since that's what the broker gives them. People use MT4 for indicators and Trading View for charting. This is quite obvious due to the lack of MT5 indicators when compared to MT4.

Metaquotes could have provided far more guidance over the years but buried their heads in the sand and hoped this problem will just go away.

Look, this back-and-forth discussion is getting us nowhere, and has gone on long enough.

You could give all the reasons you wish, as to why MT4 should remain on for much longer, or how you think MetaQuotes should have handled it.

But the reality, is that neither you nor I have any control over the lifetime of the MT4 platform nor any influence over MetaQuotes' plans.

The only control you have is whether you migrate now, while you still have time to adapt, or you do it later when you have to crunch everything in at the last minute.

Make your choice! Focus on a solution and not on the problem!

Fernando Carreiro #:

Look, this back-and-forth discussion is getting us nowhere, and has gone on long enough.

You could give all the reasons you wish, as to why MT4 should remain on for much longer, or how you think MetaQuotes should have handled it.

But the reality, is that neither you nor I have any control over the lifetime of the MT4 platform nor any influence over MetaQuotes' plans.

The only control you have is whether you migrate now, while you still have time to adapt, or you do it later when you have to crunch everything in at the last minute.

Make your choice! Focus on a solution and not on the problem!

I agree. This is my job and I am sure it is the same for many other traders who have built their toolset on MT4.

All we need is clear communication so any potential transition can be as smooth as possible.

narco #:

Thanks, appreciate you looking over it. Perhaps it is possible that this (and other similar tools) can be converted successfully with the right knowledge.

The original developer found a way to make it work on MT5, but it seemed the indicator stopped functioning in 2019 after an update.

https://www.forexfactory.com/thread/post/12268843#post12268843

This is the type of stuff that can really help users migrate over. People just want their basic tools and they will be happy to switch.

If you want to "hack" MT5 all you need is Spy++ 64-bit version and a bit of understanding how WinApi works and you can do all stuff that is possible on MT4. Spy you can get as a part of free Visual Studio CE 2022.

narco #:
I provided a basic MQ4 file that I know 100% cannot be converted to MQ5

Regarding the possibility of conversion...

Below is an example of a problem whose solution is free (in terms of performance) for MT4 and obscenely expensive for MT5

(I translated as best I could using google translate)

Форум по трейдингу, автоматическим торговым системам и тестированию торговых стратегий

Ошибки, баги, вопросы

fxsaber, 2023.06.01 22:20

Please comment on how to solve a simple problem in MT5.

• When any pending order is deleted, the EA must report the ticket of that order.
  • From the OnTick function, without using OnTrade-functions.
  • The calculations don't have to be cumbersome. This is important because the history can contain hundreds of thousands of pending orders.

Here is an example of a solution for MT4, we need an analogue for MT5.

void DeleteOrders()
{
  static int PrevTotal = OrdersHistoryTotal();

const int Total = OrdersHistoryTotal();

while (PrevTotal < Total)
    if (OrderSelect(PrevTotal++, SELECT_BY_POS, MODE_HISTORY) && (OrderType() > OP_SELL))
      Alert(OrderTicket());
}

For me personally, this is the only reason why I don't want to switch to MT5.

Working with order history is very important for developing reliable advisors. MT5 developers have made working with order history prohibitively expensive. The terminal developers are ignoring repeated requests to comment on this.

I appeal to all supporters of switching to MT5. Please convert these 6 lines of code from MT4 to MT5

Vladislav Boyko #:

I appeal to all supporters of switching to MT5. Please convert these 6 lines of code from MT4 to MT5

The problem is that in MT5 new orders are added not at the end of the history, but at any position in the list. You must analyze the entire history with each tick to find out, for example, some property of the most recent order.

Haha I agree with the last commenter and narco.

I think that the reason why there hasn't been a clear communication by the devs themselves might be because there is doubt from within them as well.  MT5 could be a mistake from the beginning, something they cannot fix. Maybe hoping someone will fix it with new technology.  My broker still offers only mt4 and it must be for a reason. They are a reputable company and wouldn't offer anything that is subpar. Sounds to me like they better get to building MT6(MQL6), on the shoulders of MT4. Fully backwards-compatible, improved, yet completely redesigned to address any current issues. This guy that wants you to "swallow the hard pill" is quite right. Also quite biased, and maybe a little bitter since he thought everyone will be switching over to mt5 so he was first to swallow, but then looked back and everyone is still here, no one's following. So of course his opinion is what it is, and doesn't give you an inch about the point you're making.  Even went as far as to "mod" someone for adding their opinions and take his time to try and convert some code for you and show you what mq5 can do.  Now that's dedication. Can't say I would have done it differently. Everyone does what's best for them in the situation that life has you in at the moment. We are all created equal, just adapted to our surroundings and shaped by the environment we live in.

All the best

(some noob rambling about something he knows nothing about)  

David Franco #:

Haha I agree with the last commenter and narco.

I think that the reason why there hasn't been a clear communication by the devs themselves might be because there is doubt from within them as well.  MT5 could be a mistake from the beginning, something they cannot fix. Maybe hoping someone will fix it with new technology.  My broker still offers only mt4 and it must be for a reason. They are a reputable company and wouldn't offer anything that is subpar. Sounds to me like they better get to building MT6(MQL6), on the shoulders of MT4. Fully backwards-compatible, improved, yet completely redesigned to address any current issues. This guy that wants you to "swallow the hard pill" is quite right. Also quite biased, and maybe a little bitter since he thought everyone will be switching over to mt5 so he was first to swallow, but then looked back and everyone is still here, no one's following. So of course his opinion is what it is, and doesn't give you an inch about the point you're making.  Even went as far as to "mod" someone for adding their opinions and take his time to try and convert some code for you and show you what mq5 can do.  Now that's dedication. Can't say I would have done it differently. Everyone does what's best for them in the situation that life has you in at the moment. We are all created equal, just adapted to our surroundings and shaped by the environment we live in.

All the best

(some noob rambling about something he knows nothing about)  

It's not about bitter or sweet , mt5 -now- is superior to mt4 . There is a lesson to be learned though about launching right . 

If i'm not mistaken they launched mt5 with netting mode only and that tripped them up . 

But at this point in time it would be beneficial for them to stop mt4 .

If they delay stopping it , then those migrating from mt4 might have additional platforms to choose from . So they probably would do it now that the only other company that can decimate them has no trading platform .

And they have an additional problem . Where will all the mt4 traffic go . We'll end up with a bootleg ea market . Now it might be on forex factory for freewares but the commercial one will pop up elsewhere as FF has its own "funny" approach to how competent someone who is selling stuff is.

Lorentzos Roussos #:

If they delay stopping it , then those migrating from mt4 might have additional platforms to choose from . So they probably would do it now that the only other company that can decimate them has no trading platform .

Why would forcing users from a fully functioning / feature complete 18 year old platform to 14 year old one make any sense at all?

Users have already made MT4 their choice for indicators, EA's and scripts. The switch to MT5 is extremely painful and ultimately pointless.

Do we know how many users of MT4 there are compared to MT5? I am guessing it is probably at least 5x higher.

narco #:

Why would forcing users from a fully functioning / feature complete 18 year old platform to 14 year old one make any sense at all?

Users have already made MT4 their choice for indicators, EA's and scripts. The switch to MT5 is extremely painful and ultimately pointless.

Do we know how many users of MT4 there are compared to MT5? I am guessing it is probably at least 5x higher.

Because its better overall , so imagine this for a moment . You want your users to use your new version of the EA because you know its better but they keep insisting on the old version of the ea because it feels easier . 

We won't go into "why not make the second version easier" or "could you not have maintained the easy part" or backwards compatible , but , instead view it from the perspective that for now you have no serious competition so if you pull the plug now they will have to move to your new version vs if you pull the plug down the line where there will be alternatives .

Also i think the broker has to do more to "install" mt5 like they must have tick backends , more info per symbol etc . When you are deploying a system for instance you will notice theres things that may be there or not in mt4 but in mt5 there is a "bit more certainty" about what you are querying being what you are querying . 

There's definitely more users on mt4

(as a fun thought , think of the interaction between an mt5 rep and a broker regarding the updated features of mt5 and what the broker does not want to do to offer mt5 )

Metaqote want to keep you busy solving problems they created which they know the answers..

The Truth remains mt4 is their stable version and they should adopt with it and change whatever colors they want to 3D facet as they like and no platform can match or competite with mt4 as long as automation is concern..

How can one wake up and tell his mt4 students that they platform they paid for to learn is no longer in existence that they should learn a new one called mt5..soon mt6 will be out , isn't obviously confusion..?

Only thing they succeeded in mt5 is change colors and modifying few existing function to a complex one which is very easy to management on mt4..

Mt4 has everything you need and professionally as standard code, but on Mt5 they hide a lot of functions in the name of update,simply to keep people busy for nothing..

Before they say mt5 is faster than mt4 ,but I used mt5 and drop it few weeks after because everything there is just costume with bug all around,taking their company many steps backwards.. and mt5 has no serious function line like mt4 and no difference in speed ,cause mt4 is almost bug free and a stable version..

Maybe they are trying to keep freelance and their platform busy ,but they should know its not same as 2011...

What people are waiting for now is platform that offer developers exact same services like mt4 code base and they may get a serious hit..

Reason: