Request: MetaTrader 4 Client API

Hello,

This is mostly direct to MetaQuotes' CEO. I'd like to make a request for MT4 Client API. Please make this API free and for all like you did with MetaTrader 3 Client API. The API is very important for developers and traders like me, as it is the backbone of many trading robots. If you unable to provide the API for free, I'm sure that many people including me and my robot users will switch from MT platform to other platforms that provide API for free, GainCapital for example.

I have been waiting for many months now for the release of the API that was once announced "will be available after the MT4 is stable" by a reprentative. But just recently, another representative announced that it is for broker only and not free. So which answer is the right one? Two contradicting answers from the same company.

I am looking forward to hearing from you,
Regards,

Scorpion@fxfisherman.com

Hello,

This is mostly direct to MetaQuotes' CEO. I'd like to make a request for MT4 Client API. Please make this API free and for all like you did with MetaTrader 3 Client API. The API is very important for developers and traders like me, as it is the backbone of many trading robots. If you unable to provide the API for free, I'm sure that many people including me and my robot users will switch from MT platform to other platforms that provide API for free, GainCapital for example.

Dear Sir,

we understand that the API is very important. We`ve told that there won`t be Client Terminal API. But the half of API`s functions are given to the MQL 4.

I have been waiting for many months now for the release of the API that was once announced "will be available after the MT4 is stable" by a reprentative.

Unfortunatelly during software development some plans can change. In current situation the API was refused.

But just recently, another representative announced that it is for broker only and not free. So which answer is the right one? Two contradicting answers from the same company.

Both are right. The situation is following:
1. MetaTrader 4 Client Termianl API - will not be realised.
2. MetaTrader 4 Server, Data Feed, Manager APIs - are realised.

I am looking forward to hearing from you,
Regards,

Scorpion@fxfisherman.com

Bring our appologies for the delay in answering.

Lena, thanks anyway.

we understand that the API is very important. We`ve told that there won`t be Client Terminal API. But the half of API`s functions are given to the MQL 4.

I understand MetaQuotes discontinues Client API because of security risk, but risk is unavoidable and everywhere. Financial world involves risk. The fact is even MQL4 is not anything safer. I have analysed MQL4 mechanism, and I found several CRITICAL security risks right inside those uncompiled and compiled experts. MQL4 is highly vulnerable; with proper injection, hackers can completely take over clients computer, and steal account id, password, and so on.

I have published one medium-risk vulnerabilty report out of several vulnerabilities at Security Issues in MetaTrader 4 (http://www.fxfisherman.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68).

After investing an enormous amount of time developing code in the form of DLL's I am walking away from MQ/MTx. scOrpiOn has stated the same issues I have with MQ's position in not releasing an API. Having been a professional developer for two decades I can speak with a modicom of understanding MQ simply refuses to create and/or release the API. Please note how MQ did not disclose the MT4 API would not be available until they were ready to release the MT4 Server. If you feel used you should. MQ needed to test their server technology and they needed numerous traders in a live environment to do so.

MQ should take note that first time customers to a broker are nice, but they are not the ones who keep that broker in business. Repeat customers keep a broker in business and that means successful traders need trading systems that are a notch above the lagging linear indicators so widely used today. Successful trading systems exceeding 90% efficiency (and yes they do exist!) require more horse power than what the MT4 platform currently offers. Stated succinctly an API is not optional for a day-trader who would like to be in business 12 months from todays date.

> Stated succinctly an API is not optional for a day-trader who
> would like to be in business 12 months from todays date.

What kinds of things do you guys do with the API?

Is MT4 a rip-off version of MT3 + new icons?

What kinds of things do you guys do with the API?

I develop my systems that are beyond the capability of MQL/MQL4, I write my own indicators in whatever language I like (.Net and VB suit me), and then I need that API to trade automatically with brokers. I believe it is long-run business when you put computer into work solo.

Obviously, Client API means survival of me, traders, brokers, and thus MetaQuotes, coz you can't just sit day and night to click BUY and SELL buttons for your trading software (robot).

I wrote many test programs to dicover what DLL's can do within MT4. I write all of my code in WIN32 Assembly. I have written a program to calculate the USDX in real time within MT4. MQ's demo server does not offer the SEK so my USDX had a small error from the real USDX. For those interested the formula used to calculate the USDX is:

USDX = 50.14348112 * (EURUSD^-0.576) * (USDJPY^0.136) * (GBPUSD^-0.119) * (USDCAD^0.091) * (USDSEK^0.042) * (USDCHF^0.036)

To make this work I needed to open five cross-currencies (excluding the SEK) and attach the USDX study to each of them. To make matters worse my trading system demands five time frames (5m, 10m, 30m, 2hr and 4hr) per cross! While MT4 is capable of opening a near unlimited number of child windows I cringe at having 25 windows open just to have the USDX. To be honest it bothers me having five windows open when I know an API would solve this problem elegantly, but that's another rant. scOrpiOn (as well as others) is probably starting to see the logistic issues knowing MQ does not (again a willful decision on MQ's part as there is NO technical reason for them not to) offer the 10 minute or 2 hour time frames.

First I load the 5m, 30m, 1hr and 4hr OLHC arrays. After creating the 10m array from the 5m array and 2hr array from the 1hr array I pass the addresses of the 5m, 10m, 30m, 2hr and 4hr arrays to an initialization function within my DLL. I then pass the live tick prices and time to the DLL which handles the updating of the five time frames relating to the particular cross in question. To make my life easier I load the study on the 5m time frame and never touch that window again.

I may be wrong, but to the best of my knowledge MQ has not documented the capabilities of DLL's attached to studies on their platform. DLL's have full access to EDS! This means you have full access to variables and arrays from one window/study to another window/study via a DLL that is written to take advantage of this. That's exactly what my USDX DLL does.

Yes I am burning bridges with MQ because they have behaved in a manner that is, to say the least, unprofessional. I am a professional trader not some fly-by-night gambler who just wants to see what this whole FOREX thing is about. If MQ can not differentiate between these two types of traders they will continue being nothing more than an add-on at the behest of the brokers willing to work with them. I will not do business with brokers who work with MQ (CEO's have a fiduciary responsibility to make as much money as they can for their shareholders...I will no longer help the CEO of MQ keep his job). With their current business model they will continue having dreams of giving serious competition to eSignal, TradeStation and other like companies. If MQ should ever awaken from their grandiosity they have a chance of becoming a world class company.

It's been a slice everyone!

Having an API is a distinguishing factor of trading terminals. Not too many have good ones, and barely any have them for free. I hate to always harp on MQ for things they should be doing. I know it is hard to do what you do. But bottom line is MQ has so much potential that it is just horribly squandering away.

It is time for someone there to sit down and do some serious re-evalutation about where they want to take this company. Too many people are speaking up on this issue. Take heed, b/c you guys are screwing up by the numbers.

With all due respect.

The MetaTrader 4 Client API theme is closed. We got our position, and wont change it.

I wrote many test programs to dicover what DLL's can do within MT4. I write all of my code in WIN32 Assembly. I have written a program to calculate the USDX in real time within MT4. MQ's demo server does not offer the SEK so my USDX had a small error from the real USDX. For those interested the formula used to calculate the USDX is:

USDX = 50.14348112 * (EURUSD^-0.576) * (USDJPY^0.136) * (GBPUSD^-0.119) * (USDCAD^0.091) * (USDSEK^0.042) * (USDCHF^0.036)

To make this work I needed to open five cross-currencies (excluding the SEK) and attach the USDX study to each of them.

What is "SEK" and "USDX"? I am pretty new to the Forex game and would realy like to know what all these things are. Any Idea where I can do a course that can give me a good chance of success?
Reason: