MetaTrader5 installation fails on wine

Hello. As mentioned, I have tried and failed to get a trading terminal working on linux. This problem surfaced a week or two ago, and I have retried using different steps in vain. Does anyone have a solution for this? The error I'm getting has something to do with win32u.dll . If you have a working installation, how are you  doing it?

This comes just when I'm supposed to deploy an expert I've been coding for 3 years. Honestly, I'm at the lowest point a dev can get

The Alchemist:

Hello. As mentioned, I have tried and failed to get a trading terminal working on linux. This problem surfaced a week or two ago, and I have retried using different steps in vain. Does anyone have a solution for this? The error I'm getting has something to do with win32u.dll . If you have a working installation, how are you  doing it?

This comes just when I'm supposed to deploy an expert I've been coding for 3 years. Honestly, I'm at the lowest point a dev can get

I think that at this moment the only solution is to downgrade to previous versions.

I believe that metaquotes does not provide downloads of previous versions, but some users maintain their own archive. Check here:

https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/10114/page7#comment_43850140

Build 3540 works for me on ubuntu 22.04 LTS.

If the latest version is needed, t for now, you'll have to use virtual box or some other virtualization.

Discussion of article "MetaTrader 5 on Linux"
Discussion of article "MetaTrader 5 on Linux"
  • www.mql5.com
New article MetaTrader 5 on Linux is published: Author: MetaQuotes...

SrFosc Fosc #:

I think that at this moment the only solution is to downgrade to previous versions.

Thanks. I'm just hoping their automatic updates won't do me dirty :(

The Alchemist #:

Thanks. I'm just hoping their automatic updates won't do me dirty :(

In the same link, the following page mentions how to prevent mt5 from updating on windows. I guess on linux you could remove all write permissions on the directories mentioned. I have not tried it.

For now I have opted to simply overwrite the EXE each time before running MT5.

The Alchemist:

MT5 build 3550 is running here on Ubuntu 18.04/Wine 5.0.3 but not on Wine 7.0.1

I tried exchanging the win32u.dll on the Wine 7.0.1 install, but this didn't fix the problem.

Maybe downgrading to Wine 5.0.3 is an option?

Hey, use winehq-devel package or you can try winehq-staging, it should have version 8 something. Although we opt to use bleeding edge version of wine, but it launches mt5 properly.

You can just install wine as explained above then launch mt5 again, no need to install mt5 again.

Other cases, don't execute mt5 installation script entirely as it will overwrite your wine back to stable version which won't work. Just execute the last three commands as seen in the script after you manually install wine (devel or staging) package.

Or simply no need to involve using installation script at all provided that you didn't remove mt5, you can just install wine package then immediately launch mt5.

ps: I didn't try staging but only devel package.

I have now a big problem. Metatrader 5 ran all the time on both linux computers with ubuntu 20.04 on a server and on notebook without any problems.

Now first the terminal on the notebook ask in Metatrader5 to update itself with a restart of the terminal. I now get Metattrader5 - Error Message

"An Error has occured while loading imports. Wrong DLL present" and the Terminal won't start up anymore.

Then i tested on the server. Metatrader terminal ran as expected and then asked for updating. After two updateds the same problem.

Does anyone know, how to solve the problem and were is the correct DLL?

tradetester #:

I have now a big problem. Metatrader 5 ran all the time on both linux computers with ubuntu 20.04 on a server and on notebook without any problems.

Now first the terminal on the notebook ask in Metatrader5 to update itself with a restart of the terminal. I now get Metattrader5 - Error Message

"An Error has occured while loading imports. Wrong DLL present" and the Terminal won't start up anymore.

Then i tested on the server. Metatrader terminal ran as expected and then asked for updating. After two updateds the same problem.

Does anyone know, how to solve the problem and were is the correct DLL?

Who knows the correct DLL?

But to solve the issue try using the install script provided by metaquotes. Don't know if you have maybe bought EAs.

Else, you could try to debug the problem. With WineGUI you can do lots of stuff to the prefix for MT5.

I am using a vanilla wine prefix for my MT5 and MT4 versions, never had an issue with updates.

Maybe you have installed more Windows apps into the wine prefix, and now it's somehow broken.

Whatever you do, just know changing the prefix will cost you an activation on your products.
Reason: