How does windows run MT5 when I click on "buy signal" in the browser?

Hi,

I would like to understand (and do the same on Linux) how Windows is calling terminal64.exe when I click on the"Start copying in MetaTrader" button when subscribing to a signal.

After some investigations, I figured out that the links is

mql5buy://signal/subscribe/

which is interpreted by Windows.

Now, Windows starts terminal64.exe with some arguments to show the details of the signal to the user in the "Signals" tab.

Does anyone know which argument is used for terminal64.exe to achieve that?

The documentation about the start arguments does not mention anything in this direction.

Thank you very much in advance!

Platform Start - For Advanced Users - MetaTrader 5 Help
Platform Start - For Advanced Users - MetaTrader 5 Help
  • www.metatrader5.com
After installation, a group of programs of the trading platform is added to the Start menu, and the program shortcut is created on the desktop. Use them to run the platform. Two copies of the platform cannot run from the same directory. If you need to run multiple copies at the same time, install the appropriate number of programs in different...

Hannes Waser:

Does anyone know which argument is used for terminal64.exe to achieve that?

The command line is almost certainly just:

<path>\terminal64.exe mql5buy://signal/subscribe/644941.IOS_EURUSD_MT5

The mql5buy:// link is simply handled by a pluggable protocol defined in the Windows registry (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/389204/how-do-i-create-my-own-url-protocol-e-g-so)

The open command set up for mql5buy is simply:

<path>\terminal64.exe "%1"

Therefore, the command line should be as above.

Hi JC,

thanks a lot!

This indeed works on Windows as described!

However, I could not reproduce the same behavior under wine/Linux. :( But this is probably not an issue of MT5 but Wine.

JC
JC
  • www.mql5.com
Published post Socket library for MT4 and MT5 [Published as a blog entry because submission to the Codebase stalled on the fact that this socket library works with both MT4 and MT5, whereas the Codebase is divided into separate sections for MT4 and MT5. The support desk couldn't work out how to handle this...] [Updated 2019-07-16... Added topic...
Reason: