MT4 broker server search no longer working in Windows 2012 R2? - page 2

Fernando Carreiro #:

I'm having no difficulty at all on build 1356, so the problem must be with your VPS ISP network connectivity or firewall policies and not with MT4 nor Windows.

The tests below are from my home location in Portugal ...

Thanks.  Is that on Windows 2012 R2 though OR Windows 10/11 ?

Brandon S #: Thanks. Is that on Windows 2012 R2 though OR Windows 10/11 ?
I don't have Windows 12 at my disposal, sorry!

Fernando Carreiro #:
I don't have Windows 12 at my disposal, sorry!

Yea alright, thanks anyway Fernando.

I believe the problem is only on Windows 2012 R2 or older from the testing I have done today. 

I am wondering if something did not change with Metaquotes search API security wise that is preventing the older Windows 2012 R2 from succeeding in communications for the MT4 broker server search feature.

Direct connect still works by entering for example 'server1.brokerdomain.com:443' for whichever broker server. 

That requires some technical knowledge to know or discover the broker ip:port though so not ideal solution.

Brandon S #: Yea alright, thanks anyway Fernando. I believe the problem is only on Windows 2012 R2 or older from the testing I have done today. I am wondering if something did not change with Metaquotes search API security wise that is preventing the older Windows 2012 R2 from succeeding in communications for the MT4 broker server search feature. Direct connect still works by entering for example 'server1.brokerdomain.com:443' for whichever broker server. That requires some technical knowledge to know or discover the broker ip:port though so not ideal solution.

I don't agree with your evaluation. My Windows 7 32 bit is working just fine with the search as well.

There have often been posts here on the forum of users using VPS with network problems, either the Market tab not working, or difficulty connecting to some brokers but not all and other related problems.

And in most of those cases it was due to either the ISP having external firewall settings that caused the conflict, or incorrectly defined windows settings, or windows firewall configurations that were incorrect, etc.

It is my belief, that your case is similar and that it is not MT4 that is the cause, especially since build 1356 is from May and no one else has reported similar problems since then.

Fernando Carreiro #:

I don't agree with your evaluation. My Windows 7 32 bit is working just fine with the search as well.

There have often been posts here on the forum of users using VPS with network problems, either the Market tab not working, or difficulty connecting to some brokers but not all and other related problems.

And in most of those cases it was due to either the ISP having external firewall settings that caused the conflict, or incorrectly defined windows settings, or windows firewall configurations that were incorrect, etc.

It is my belief, that your case is similar and that it is not MT4 that is the cause, especially since build 1356 is from May and no one else has reported similar problems since then.

Ok well we can disagree.

I've tried 3 different internet service provider networks, multiple geographic locations, and the 2 different MT4 builds (1356/1367) along with Windows 2008 R2 (does not work), 2012 R2 (does not work), 2016 (works), and 2019 (works) and Windows 10 home pc (works).

Turning off the Windows firewall makes no difference.

I've also tested at the same time from home on Windows 2012 R2 system which does not work while at the same time Windows 10 does from same home network.

Brandon S #: Ok well we can disagree. I've tried 3 different internet service provider networks, multiple geographic locations, and the 2 different MT4 builds (1356/1367) along with Windows 2008 R2 (does not work), 2012 R2 (does not work), 2016 (works), and 2019 (works) and Windows 10 home pc (works). Turning off the Windows firewall makes no difference. I've also tested at the same time from home on Windows 2012 R2 system which does not work while at the same time Windows 10 does from same home network.

Sorry, to contradict but my MT4 build 1356 (in portable mode), on Windows 2008 R2 VPS (1 vCPU, 512MB RAM, 25GB SSD), on Vultr ISP, is working just fine too.

Fernando Carreiro #:
Sorry, to burst your bubble but my MT4 build 1356 (in portable mode), on Windows 2008 R2 VPS (1 vCPU, 512MB RAM, 25GB SSD), on Vultr ISP, is working just fine too.
interesting.  ok will test another provider and see results, thanks for that info

Brandon S #: interesting.  ok will test another provider and see results, thanks for that info
One thing to note, is that the Windows 2008 R2 installation and setup was done my me and not the ISP, as it is my own personal license and not provided by the ISP.

Well still same result with another provider - Amazon AWS . 

I downloaded latest MT4 installer from Pepperstone broker from client area as a new test.  

The Pepperstone MT4 installer resulted in MT4 build 1367 being installed - so the newest one (9 Nov 2022). 

I tried this on an Amazon AWS Windows 2012 R2 VPS using their operating system image ( amazon/Windows_Server-2012-R2_RTM-English-64Bit-Base-2022.10.27 ) just now and it is the same issue.  

I tested before with the Windows 2012 R2 VPS as default with absolutely no changes.

Also I updated it fully and tested again after was updated and is the same issue.

MT4 works but, the broker server search does not for searching for other broker servers.

I had a copy of another Pepperstone MT4 install with build 1356 on my home pc and i copied it to the same AWS VPS and tried it and still same issue.

My colleague did some more digging and testing.  It appears updates.metaquotes.net is used in search for the broker search feature.  

Testing that shows a 'Server sent fatal alert: handshake_failure' is encountered on the simulated Windows 8.1 (2012) tests.

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=updates.metaquotes.net

Files:
Reason: