difference of Tick and point

hello, i apologize if this question is too elementry for some of you.

i have resently found out that Tick and Point are different. and i can not modify my order if it is not more than a Tick. (i get error 1 , for not doing that currently)

in mql5 we can call  TickSize() to get the size of the Tick in that currency pair.

but in mql4 this function dose not exist. so how can i condition my OrderModify to change only when the change is bigger than the size of the Tick?

do we have a function in mql4 to return TickSize ?

again i apologize if this is too elementry.

kriss.ro: hello, i apologize if this question is too elementry for some of you. i have resently found out that Tick and Point are different. and i can not modify my order if it is not more than a Tick. (i get error 1 , for not doing that currently). in mql5 we can call  TickSize() to get the size of the Tick in that currency pair. but in mql4 this function dose not exist. so how can i condition my OrderModify to change only when the change is bigger than the size of the Tick? do we have a function in mql4 to return TickSize ? again i apologize if this is too elementry.

It does exist in MQL4 and it it is exactly the same as in MQL5.

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

Tick size vs Point(), can be a little tricky in Multicurrency EA

Fernando Carreiro, 2022.03.09 12:11

Tick Size and Point Size can be very different especially on stocks and other symbols besides forex.

Always use Tick Size to adjust and align your prices, not the point size. In essence, make sure that your price quotes, are properly aligned to the Tick size (see following examples).

double tickSize = SymbolInfoDouble( _Symbol, SYMBOL_TRADE_TICK_SIZE );
double normalised_price = round( price / tick_size ) * tick_size;
// Or use a function
double Round2Ticksize( double price )
{
   double tick_size = SymbolInfoDouble( _Symbol, SYMBOL_TRADE_TICK_SIZE );
   return( round( price / tick_size ) * tick_size );
};

Here is the MQL4 documentation reference:

SymbolInfoDouble - Market Info - MQL4 Reference
  • docs.mql4.com

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

Symbol Point Value

Fernando Carreiro, 2022.06.02 01:14

Here are two examples from AMP Global (Europe):

• Micro E-mini S&P 500 (Futures): point size = 0.01, tick size = 0.25, tick value = $1.25
  • EURO STOXX Banks (Stock Index): point size = 0.01, tick size = 0.05, tick value = €2.50

PIP, Point, or Tick are all different in general.
          What is a TICK? - MQL4 programming forum (2014)

thank you for your answer, and for showing me how to get the value of thick size in mql4.

but in mql5 is not the same. in mql5 we can call TickSize() , and TickSize() dosent exist in mql4 , unleast not with this function.

as you mentioned in mql4 we can call symbol info double.

thank you for showing that to me.

you have been very helpfull.

kriss.ro #: thank you for your answer, and for showing me how to get the value of thick size in mql4. but in mql5 is not the same. in mql5 we can call TickSize() , and TickSize() dosent exist in mql4 , unleast not with this function.as you mentioned in mql4 we can call symbol info double.thank you for showing that to me. you have been very helpfull.

Don't confuse the Standard Library with the built in MQL functions. The Standard Library is an object-oriented layer that builds on top of the built-in functionality of MQL.

It is the same in MQL5. Here is the reference documentation for MQL5 for the same thing as in MQL4 that I posted before.

Documentation on MQL5: Market Info / SymbolInfoDouble
Documentation on MQL5: Market Info / SymbolInfoDouble
  • www.mql5.com
SymbolInfoDouble - Market Info - MQL5 Reference - Reference on algorithmic/automated trading language for MetaTrader 5

you are right. i did not know that standard Library are not build-in functions.

i apologize for my mistake.

thank you for your information.

Reason: