Selecting a computer configuration (expert optimisation a priority) - page 12

Aleksey Vyazmikin:

Amazing. Does it load all the cores?

Yes, all six cores. But judging by the heat it's not enough.

With hyperthreading it is almost as hot as LinX, the difference is a few degrees.

But without it all seems to be fully loaded and my CPU is about 15 deg less heated. Though I switch only one switch in BIOS.

I have this suspicion, that something else must be switched, in order to load six cores normally.

P.S.

Now i'm running standard MACD - same situation, i can't heat up the CPU without hypertrading !

Georgiy Merts:

Yes, all six cores. But judging by the heat it's not enough.

With hyperthreading it is almost as hot as LinX, the difference is a few degrees.

But without it - it's like all cores are fully loaded and CPU is 15 deg less heated. Though, I switch only one switch in BIOS.

I have this suspicion that something else needs to be switched to make the six cores work properly.

I don't know, it's not logical... One can only be glad that everything works with hypertrading :)

Aleksey Vyazmikin:

I don't know, it doesn't make sense... I'm just glad that everything works with hypertrading :)

So underheating, man ! With hypertrading - that's right, you can see how LinX almost heats up the CPU. But without - like on monitor - all six cores are busy, load 100% - but judging by the temperature - nada ! I can also see a fan - it's enough without hypertrading - I don't even overclock it to maximum. But when I enable hypertrading, I can see that the fan is maxed out.

EXPLORER - in both cases it responds equally fast, at least I don't feel any difference. The only difference is in heating (well, and processing speed). I have a feeling that somewhere some tricks in UEFI need to be taken into account. It's hard to find a knack for these settings, the board is an overclocker... I left everything by default, but most likely the defaults are designed specifically for hypertrading.

Georgiy Merts:

So underheating, man ! With hypertrading - that's right, you can see how LinX heats up the CPU. But without - I see on monitoring all six cores are busy, load 100% - but judging by temperature - nothing! I can also see a fan - it's enough without hypertrading - I don't even overclock it to maximum. When I enable hypertrading I see that the fan is maxed out.

Explorer is the same fast in both cases, at least I don't feel any difference. The only difference is in heat (and in processing speed). I have a feeling that somewhere some tricks in UEFI need to be taken into account. It's hard to find a knack for these settings, the board is an overclocker... I left everything by default, but most likely the defaults are designed specifically for hypertrading.

And did you check gigaflops in LinX - what's the difference there?

Aleksey Vyazmikin:

Have you looked at the gigaflops in LinX, what's the difference?

Nah... Didn't run it at all.

I'm going to run it now, take a look.

Ha ! Funny... but LinX is faster without hypertrading ! 250 GFlops. And the heating is a bit more, 85 degrees reached quickly, and apparently will continue to heat up (didn't wait any longer).

Seems like the benefit of hypertrading is highly dependent on the nature of the tasks. Actually, in many places it is written that this technology gives an advantage when the software is optimised for it.

Georgiy Merts:

Nah... Didn't start it at all.

I'll run it now and have a look.

Ha ! Funny... but LinX is faster without hypertrading ! 250 GFlops. And the heating is a bit more, 85 degrees reached quickly, and apparently will continue to heat up (didn't wait any longer).

It seems that the benefit of hypertrading - depends a lot on the nature of the tasks. Actually, it is written in many places that this technology gives an advantage when the software is optimised for it.

Curious.

Well, can you try with MT4 there optimization? Two terminals against one?

Aleksey Vyazmikin:

Interesting.

Well, can you try with MT4 there optimisation? Two terminals versus one?

Well, it doesn't parallelize tasks! In theory, of course, you may try it... But, the point is in parallel processing...

With an acquaintance - tried farm optimisation.

My i7 8700 from RAM-disk, my old Core2 Duo from regular disk (not SSD) and his remote i5 4440, also from regular disk.

It turns out, in terms of number of runs done - his one physical core (he has four) is about 30-50% more powerful than my one virtual core (I have 12 of them). And one my virtual core is about equal to one physical core of my old Core2 Duo dual core

Georgiy Merts:

Well, it doesn't parallelize tasks! You can try it in theory, of course... But the point is in parallel processing...

So I don't understand the effect, the point is that MT5 does not parallelize tasks during optimization - i.e. agents are created for each core simply, i.e. there is task distribution between programs. Accordingly, the bottleneck may be the process of task distribution or something else which leads processor to unnecessary cycles and hence performance drops.

And, try it with SSD without RAM disk.

I read in Overclockers forum that TDP is standard heat pack, without Turbo Boost technology, and that Coffe Lake processors have a very aggressive technology.

I decided to check it out. In order to turn it off, it was recommended to set max power mode to 99%, not 100%.

I removed this percentage. Hmmm... The effect is amazing.

CPU frequency is now 3100 instead of 4300. LinX stably shows 170 GFlops (before 190).

But CPU temp will not go higher than 50 degree ! The fan runs at 1100 and is barely audible !

What a trick ... So, without TurboBoost - my cooler is quite enough. But if you enable Turbo Boost - you have to put a cooler with 150W heat pack.

I wonder, is it possible to set intermediary Turbo Boost aggressiveness in my bios?

Tomorrow I will compare optimization speed with and without Turbo Boost.

P.S.

Ok, Alexey, I'll try it without RAM drive.

Reason: