Why are the indicators (lines, arrows, histograms) flickering in the MT5 terminal? - page 8

-Aleks-:

I'm talking about the standard ZigZag indicator from MT5.

I don't even want to look at the standard zigzag, it's a disgrace to MT5, let the developers sort out their own creation.

Sergey Chalyshev:

I don't even want to look at the standard zigzag, it's a disgrace to MT5, let the developers sort out their own creation.

The saddest part is that they ignore this issue.

Sergey Chalyshev: Is this particular indicator glitchy? I will look into it at my leisure.

Regarding this particular indicator, the glitch looks like this: the names and values of the two indicator buffers disappear in the data window for some time (1-2 seconds) and then reappear. The indicator, which also flickers on the chart, I can't quote here yet, because it's the author's one. The only thing I can say about it is that it uses the drawing type DRAW_SECTION, i.e. it contains the following line

#property  indicator_type1  DRAW_SECTION

I would say that perhaps only those indicators that have been created using the DRAW_SECTION or DRAW_ZIGZAG types or their colored counterparts DRAW_COLOR_SECTION or DRAW_COLOR_ZIGZAG have overdrawing (blinking). Although the disappearance of names and values of indicator buffers is typical for other types of graphical constructions from the ENUM_DRAW_TYPE enumeration.

Also discovered that the blinks are triggered by CopyTicks/CopyTicksRange calls.

Stanislav Korotky:
I also found out that blinks are caused by CopyTicks/CopyTicksRange calls.

New bars are added to the history - the indicator rebuilds (clears the buffer, recalculates all over again). So it blinks.
As soon as the history is fully loaded/constructed, the blinking will disappear.

Taras Slobodyanik:

New bars are added to the history - the indicator rebuilds (clears the buffer, recalculates everything again). So it blinks.
As soon as the history is fully loaded/constructed, the blinking will disappear.

Nah, the bar history has been loaded for a long time.

Taras Slobodyanik:

New bars are added to the history - the indicator rebuilds (clears the buffer, recalculates everything again). So it blinks.

MT4 does not flicker...

Aleksey Vyazmikin:

MT4 doesn't flicker...

In MT4 it's simpler than that. MT5 has a lot of entities and new threads, which are synchronised in some tricky way, as far as I understand. It is in such intervals that flicker may occur. In theory, of course, the program should not behave this way.

Flicker is very easily reproduced when the processor is heavily loaded.

Run optimization on all local cores and try removing/creating a dozen objects and doing ChartRedrow. The swag effect is assured.

Taras Slobodyanik: New bars are added to the history - the indicator rebuilds (clears the buffer, recalculates everything anew). So it blinks.

I disagree, the update in the data window and the blinking of indicator lines also occurs within the current bar. Also, I'm a supporter of indicators that update only when the bar is closed, i.e. the indicator is not drawn on the current bar. Moreover, it is not clear; the history is completely loaded and the current bar is not processed, while the indicator lines keep blinking.

Reason: