Interesting and humorous - page 9

Zhunko:
A steam locomotive is at least twice as efficient as an electric locomotive.

Can you show me the calculations?

Mathemat:

I think that's over-optimistic. It is unlikely that an LED is an order of magnitude more efficient than an energy-saving one... Although if you look at the price, yes, it should be.
I once estimated the efficiency of an incandescent bulb (that was long ago, when I was a sophomore). It was about 5%, like the efficiency of a steam locomotive. Well, then the LED bulb's efficiency is higher than 100%. Perpetuum mobile.

Don't pick on it, it's from a housewife show. Besides, an 11W energy-saving doesn't shine like a 75W incandescent, no matter what they promise. I have them next to each other, and there's no doubt about the difference.
But the order is basically as written. I can tell by the LED torch, which I forgot when I charged it.

Zhunko:
Strange... I thought a steam locomotive had an efficiency closer to 80%. At least if you count from energy consumption. A steam locomotive is at least twice as efficient as an electric locomotive.
http://www.1520mm.ru/locomotives/kpd-loc.phtml

Mischek:

Show me the calculations?
Why calculations? It costs 50% less to deliver electricity across the vast expanse of Russia.

Zhunko:
Why the calculation? It costs 50% less to deliver electricity across the vast expanse of Russia.

You'd think coal or wood would reach a steam locomotive without kickbacks:)

Zhunko:
Why the calculation? It costs 50% less to deliver electricity across the vast expanse of Russia.

So you don't have the calculations.

Electric locomotives have an efficiency of 88-90% with a total traction efficiency of around 22-24% (taking into account the efficiency of CHP or HPP, traction substations, transmission lines and overhead lines). The energy return can be as high as 25% of traction energy consumption.
I remember reading that somewhere. Good article. Turns out my memory didn't fail me! :-))

Can I kill myself at the end, or better yet, at the beginning of the game, stick my fingers in a socket and drink poison?

Roger:

You'd think coal or firewood would reach the locomotive without kickback, wouldn't you?)
Yes. Almost no loss. The steam locomotive is the most perfect mechanism for transportation that man has created.