Question for the pros: is a stable profitable EA a myth? - page 8

timbo:

The book outlines one of the methods of paired trading. Vidyamurthy is a mathematician and therefore his book is worth reading. It is the natural nature of mathematicians to count and write about it, if a mathematician prints a book, it is a recognition of his success.

A book by a "famous trader" is not worth reading. The nature of traders is to trade, if he went to write books then as a trader he is unsuccessful, then why should you believe what he has written?

That's it.

So a mathematician can write, but a trader can't. I see. I guess I have one last question. Do you always check if the author is a trader first and only then decide if it's worth reading?

FION:
Is it Martin after all?
If you are sure that the distribution of profitable and losing trades is not independent, then you can have a martin, you can do better than that. But it is as difficult to ensure this non-independence as it is to make a profitable Expert Advisor. If trades are independent, and in all pioneer traps they are, then the martin will not help.

Abzasc:

I.e. a mathematician can write, but a trader can't. I see. I guess I have one last question. Do you always check if the author is a trader first and only then decide if it is worth reading?

This is obvious from the start - if the author promises to reveal a secret method and talks a lot about how immeasurably he got rich using this method, then he is a "famous trader". No mathematician would get dirty with such tales/promises.

Another good way to evaluate a book before reading it is to study the list of references used by the author, if it lists decent books/articles, then it's potentially a good book. And the publications listed in that list are worth a look too. The "famous traders" don't have any of that, and nobody refers to their books either.

Abzasc:

That is, a mathematician can write, but a trader cannot.
A mathematician must write - it is an integral part of his job, he cannot not write. A trader's job is to trade.
Reason: