Offtopic: Stealing Aleynikov or how arbitration is done ;-) - page 11

SProgrammer >> :

I wonder when the pure-natives will go, I mean those whose families have lived there for 100 years?

If you're really interested, then Thailand, the Philippines, Latin America - the cheap countries. After selling a modest house in the States the money will be enough to buy a very decent house in one of those countries, hire a maid and eat/drink at the local restaurant for the next 30 years. So that's the kind of pension.

SProgrammer писал(а) >>

400 is not a very high quality of life for America. So - average stone house. 1-2 hectares of land if not NY/NJ, same couple of cars. :) Same TV. There is NO QUALITY DIFFERENCE between 150K and 400K. That's the thing about America and the world. Same toilets, same sinks, almost the same houses. If you are a fan, you may have a middling Porsche.

But otherwise, it is the same.

America is a shitty place. :) It's a lot nicer in Russia. By the way I know some of the children of immigrants, they will help them to get settled in Russia. In America, more than 50 per cent of non-whites are those who do not consider themselves white. Hindus have a lot of nerve. In a word. People who are smarter have started to get used to the idea of "Should we move back to Russia?" It is funny and at the same time a bit sad for the guys - you get a second emigration. I wonder when the pure-natives leave, I mean those whose families have lived there for 100 years?

About emigrating back to their homeland...

About three or four years ago a guy from Russia wrote about how he worked (as a programmer) in America and then decided to go back... One thing that he drew from his article was that America is a country of snitches...

timbo >> :

If you're really interested, go to Thailand, the Philippines, Latin America - cheap countries. After selling a modest house in the States, you'll have enough money to buy a very decent house in one of those countries, hire a maid and eat/drink at the local restaurant for the next 30 years. That's the kind of pension.

Timbo, I wrote some confusing points in the previous post, how do you see them ? i.e. how do you see them... Please comment on your view.

BARS писал(а) >>

Timbo, I wrote a few points in the previous post that I didn't understand, how do you see them? please comment on your view.

a joke in the pre-crisis period (somewhere around may 2008) :

Sell flat in Kiev - Buy a small village.

timbo писал(а) >>

If you're really interested, go to Thailand, the Philippines, Latin America - cheap countries. After selling a modest house in the States, you'll have enough money to buy a very decent house in one of those countries, hire a maid and eat/drink at the local restaurant for the next 30 years. Such a pension.

No way. Just retired people are very comfortable living in the shats. Only weird people retire there. There are states like Florida that are very comfortable to live in. They have the kind of closed towns where they have their own guards and where people are only allowed to live with the consent of local authorities. Like a kind of reservation for white people. Quiet life behind the fence.

To Russia, those, who understand that there will be 100 years of just growth and enough for themselves and their children to earn money, have already started to move. There is plenty of space, where to put their hands and heads. Yes and on pension for example in the same Australia on it - the sun it is very harmful. It is better to live in a midland. And go on holiday to hot countries.

BARS >> :

Actually, it's a dark story, a lot of very slippery issues.

1. If he was involved in the development, why would he steal it? He has a lot of information in his head (the algorithm) and the formulas can be memorised in a day or two. He can take out valuable information and cobble together a program on the side.

He cannot have the algorithm in his head. You have no idea what you are talking about. There are dozens, even hundreds of pages of formulas. Even if you have the formulas, you can't figure them out, and you can't even learn them. He did some of it. A programmer is like an assembly line worker, he may never see the whole machine.

2) Would he cheat on a German server and upload it to the website? ( I doubt it )

Why not, if it's a file server. He did not put it in the public domain.

3. How was it found - i.e. who found out that the uploaded software is secret? (well, here we can, as Timbo said: "that he took the secret files unintentionally along with the open-source ones. ") and then what is the secret if there is an open-source version ?

It wasn't timbo who said this, it was Aleynikov himself. Identified by the logs of what was downloaded and where. They went and got it.

4. Any secret software, is developed on a computer with no internet connection, no drives ( RW) and no flash drive connectors. (even sometimes put the alarm on the case inside the computer so as not to open the lid) and the extraction of files is usually the customer or his trusted person, ie how to copy it - dunno.

You watch too many detectives. Most of the time, people are trusted and don't go to concentration camps. There's a healthy dose of pussyfooting everywhere.

5. Even if there was a similar gaffe (which happens) why make a fuss? Whatever, even if it was a secret, and the demo, they differ decently ie it is not easy to figure out. Well, they would have got rid of it by calling it a defective version with a bunch of bugs, and quickly replaced it with a normal demo. (In this case, the hype would not have been, and now the customers how to judge? Once they have a secret software - crawled up, which hammered a lot of dough, is it worth trusting them with money? - I do not think so. The clients would have to decide among themselves how to deal with the new, higher salaries).

This Goldman is an absolutely useless company, they don't even have their own gangsters to quietly deal with Aleynikov. They ran like suckers to complain to the police because it was the only way to stop the thief.

timbo писал(а) >>

This Goldman is a totally useless company; they don't even have gangsters of their own to deal quietly with this Aleynikov. They ran like suckers to complain to the police, because that would have been the only way to stop the thief.

If they had used thugs. Creepy - :) What already forgotten things. :)) They'd have been screwed by that poor man Aleynikov.

SProgrammer >> :

No way. It's just that pensioners live very comfortably in Shatsk. Only strange people retire there. There are states like Florida that are very comfortable to live in. They have the kind of closed towns where they have their own guards and where people are only allowed to live with the consent of local authorities. Kind of a reservation for white people. Quiet life behind the fence.

To Russia, those, who understand that there will be 100 years of just growth and enough for themselves and their children to earn money, have already started to move. There is plenty of space, where to put their hands and heads. Yes and on pension for example in the same Australia on it - the sun it is very harmful. It is better to live in a midland. And go on holiday to hot countries.

When I say "retirement", I don't mean after 65... "Retire rich, retire young." Retire in the sense that you don't have to work ever again.

Retire to Russia? That's only for complete masochists. Have you been anywhere but Russia and Turkey/Egypt?

It seems that the "German file-sharing service" is rapidshare.de

timbo писал(а) >>

When I said 'retirement', I didn't mean after 65... "Retire rich, retire young." Retire in the sense that you don't have to work ever again.

Retire to Russia? That's only for complete masochists. Have you been anywhere but Russia and Turkey/Egypt?

Did I say retired to Russia?

I've been almost all over the world. Lived in America for a few years, lived in Spain for a few years in the Canaries. Lived almost a year in Germany in Bavaria. I've been to Australia several times. Bali, Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, India, been to Tibet. Been to Cuba, and the Emirates... the Maldives.

Drove all over France. I don't count how many times I've been to London.

Is there something you want to tell me? :) What are you asking, or just saying. :)

Reason: