Offtopic: Stealing Aleynikov or how arbitration is done ;-)

I don't think anyone has started a thread yet, so I'll go first.

So the FBI accuses a Russian national of hacking into Goldman Sachs computers. In short - the guy was making good money - $400,000 a year, but he wanted more and stole "computer codes, including instant stock and commodity trading mechanisms, that helped this 'major financial company' make millions of dollars" - whatever that means.

But I wonder - what are these "mechanisms"?

The search for scapegoats - those responsible for the crisis - is well under way

Reuters reports that Sergei Aleynikov, a Russian national, has been charged with stealing the secret access code to an automated trading system for the commodities and securities markets. This trading system is automatic: it performs mathematical calculations to make the most profitable sales and purchases.

http://www.infox.ru/hi-tech/soft/2009/07/06/Rossiyskiy_programmi.phtml

"The unique computer "platform" stolen by Aleynikov allowed Goldman Sachs to react instantly to frequent market changes and, using secret mathematical formulas, make quick automatic sell or buy decisions."

I particularly liked: "secret mathematical formulas". :)

Aha! So this Automatic Trading System should be in CodeBase soon. Then let's have a look at the secret formulas :)

coaster >> :
I especially liked: "secret mathematical formulas". :)

Maths is a secret science.

HIDDEN >> :

>> Maths is a secret science.

And fraught.

Itso >> :

But I wonder what these "mechanisms" are?

>> http://www.sql.ru/forum/actualthread.aspx?tid=659515

Lead development of a distributed real-time co-located high-frequency trading (HFT) platform. The main objective was to engineer a very low latency (microseconds) event-driven market data processing, strategy, and order submission engine. The system was obtaining multicast market data from Nasdaq, Arca/NYSE, CME and running trading algorithms with low latency requirements responsive to changes in market conditions.
- Implemented a real-time monitoring solution for the distributed trading system using a combination of technologies (SNMP, Erlang/OTP, boost, ACE, TibcoRV, real-time distributed replicated database, etc) to monitor load and health of trading processes in the mother-ship and co-located sites so that trading decisions can be prioritized based on congestion and queuing delays.
- Responsible for development of real-time market feed handlers, order processing engines and trading tools at a Quantitative Equity Trading revenue-making HFT desk.

http://zerohedge.blogspot.com/search/label/program%20trading

I wonder if the author has some strong weed or if they are really describing the hell that pipsqueak can lead to.

Itso писал(а) >>

And so - the FBI accuses a Russian national of hacking into Goldman Sachs computers. In short - the guy was making good money - $400,000 a year, but he wanted more and stole "computer codes, including instant stock and commodity trading mechanisms, that helped this 'major financial company' make millions of dollars" - whatever that means.

But I wonder - what are these "mechanisms"?

After reading this:

Only one bank has its own language. That bank is called Goldman Sachs (maybe you've heard of it?). The code name for Goldman's internal language is SLANG and it is used almost everywhere, although I'm sure market makers do use C++. Goldman, in introducing his own language, had two goals: first, a person who has worked with Slang for 10 years has already forgotten the other languages, so it's very hard for him to go to another bank. Secondly, it is much harder to steal code written in a language not used by other companies.

thought that maybe the man was only going to jail for trying to change jobs.
Reason: