Off-topic MT4/mql4 questions. - page 22

Rita:

Good morning, everyone. I have one more question.

If my "working drive" is the C drive, why is it set to only 17gb ?

It turns out that (for example) 44gb of drive E - is practically unused and wasted, running idle?

Wouldn't it make sense to move some memory from the under-utilised E drive to the working C drive?

The C drive is only used for Windows, there is no important data on it so that in case of problems you can reinstall Windows and all the data remains on the D drive. You should move the "My Documents" folder to D if it is not there.

I see now. I'll move it now.

The last time I reinstalled Windows, my former C drive is now my D drive.

And there is a new C drive with a new Windows.

And the old Windows folder in the PROGR.FILES of this current drive D is still there. I guess it is no longer in use? Can it be deleted altogether? Its size is several GB and since it is not used, why is it taking up memory?

Why do I need two WINDOWS (in C and D)?

Integer:

The C drive is only used for Windows, there is no important data on it so in case of problems you can reinstall Windows and keep all the data on the D drive. You should move the My Documents folder to D if it is not there.

Bold is recommended, but unknown to Rita.

As of today, 17gb as a system drive, if you also use W7, is not enough to do your job properly. Even if you install software to drive D, some of the software libraries are still installed on the system drive. It is preferable to have a system disc of 30-40gb so that fragmentation does not affect productivity. For this reason, it would still be better for Rita to increase the size of the system disk.

Documents should only be stored on separate logical (physical) disks to be able to reinstall the system painlessly - I agree with that.

Rita:

I see now. I'll move it now.

The last time I reinstalled Windows, my former C drive is now my D drive.

And there is a new C drive with a new Windows.

And the old Windows folder in the PROGR.FILES of this current drive D is still there. I guess it is no longer in use? Can it be deleted altogether? Its size is several GB and since it is not used, why is it taking up memory?

Why do I need two WINDOWS (in C and D)?

Yes, old system folders can be deleted. Make sure you don't have any valuable documents there (some programmes use the system drive to store their settings).

It is also advisable to remove the swap file from the system drive and periodically clean the temp and tmp folders - these are often used to temporarily unpack files and will become clogged over time.

TheXpert:
It is also recommended to remove swap file from system disk and periodically clean temp and tmp folders -- they are often used for temporary unpacking of files and get clogged with time.

The swap file should not be moved anywhere. You think it's good in theory, but you haven't tested it.

I specifically tested it, it turns out that in normal systems the swap file has to be on the system disk, otherwise Windows starts lagging on swaps. I'm not quite sure what this has to do with, but it does.

May be it has to do with mapping system files to virtual memory, if they are on the same drive, it won't swap, I don't know in general.

joo:
Yes, old system folders can be deleted. Make sure you don't have any valuable documents there (some programs use to store their settings on the system drive).

Did I get it right? If there are no old programmes there.

You can simply delete the WINDOWS folder from the D-disk and the same WINDOWS folder from the D/PROGR. FILES?

Rita:

Did I get it right? If there are no old programs there.

You can simply delete the WINDOWS folder from the D-disk and the same WINDOWS folder from the D/PROGR. FILES?

Oh, and also what I highlighted in red.

Check the folders highlighted in blue to see if there are any valuable documents there and delete them too.

I see. Thank you.

gip:

The swap file cannot be moved anywhere. You're the one who thinks it's good in theory and hasn't tested it.

Hmm, no. It used to be practically one of the first things I did after installation. Didn't notice much difference. There's a file on the drive on the work computer at the moment.

Maybe it was the fragmentation?

Reason: