[Archive c 17.03.2008] Humour [Archive to 28.04.2012] - page 513

From the Internet:

Diver friends go diving with orcas every year. Herring come to the Norwegian fjords to spawn and orcas come there to hunt. The divers are thrown into the herring pack and see nothing around them but hundreds of thousands of fish. At some point, the herring fly apart and a huge orca carcass with its mouth open flies at the diver. Those who have seen it, say that you can't get such adrenaline anywhere else in your life. Some of them were really scared out of their suits. You could feel it, not just figuratively, it was so scary! It is consolation that for 15 years of similar diving not a single attack on the diver is registered.

and what's interesting is that it's a jpg that can't reproduce animation

IgorM:

The movement stops if you squint your eyes. The concentration on the object increases - the brain stops making up illusions for itself. Also, a characteristic indicator is that the less tired the brain is, the less the motion effect in the picture appears.

joo: the less tired the brain is , the less the motion effect in the picture will appear.

I apparently have a very small one :)

I can't see anything, no movement. How to look at what? First you have to be very tired, and then the glitches appear?

IgorM:

So the animation is because of the running eyes, because of the change of angles. Stop looking and the animation stops!

Mathemat:

I apparently have a very small one :)

I can't see anything, no movement. How do you look at what? Do I have to get really tired first, and then the glitches will appear?

The effect is only visible if you have good eyesight. Focus on your head or your feet and then move your vision to the other side of the picture. The near peripheral vision (I'm no expert - I coined the term myself), the one around the focal point, will pick up the movement. When you try to focus on this movement, the zone of near peripheral vision will move to the place where the focus of vision was before, and the difference in position of the white and black half rings will create the same effect at that point. But this will all work if the vision is 100%. When I look at an out-of-focus image, the effect is gone.

My eyesight's not 100%, that's for sure: it's the computer.

All right, that's reassuring. I thought it was something special to do, like spreading the images to match the centre, or something else...

Mathemat:

My eyesight's not 100%, that's for sure: it's the computer.

Well, that's reassuring. I thought it was something special to do, like spreading the images to match the centre, or something else...

You were right, though. If you separate the images, it turns out that all the circles in the two weirdos are reversed in relation to each other.
That is, if one of the circles on the left has white on top and black on the bottom, then the other has the opposite on the same circle.
This probably gives the effect of unsteadiness and, as a consequence, the visual mobility of the circles.

Reason: