[Archive c 17.03.2008] Humour [Archive to 28.04.2012] - page 162

Richie:

The '88 is already "late". Everything was earlier.

"The Wall came out in '82.

Where to before that?

Or was there a KGB colonel sitting under every bush spying on passers-by?

Or were there total searches of Soviet citizens in the evenings?

Come on, don't be shy, tell us the truth - how terrible it was in the USSR.

No, it's not very scary. In '80, when Vysotsky died, you could hear his songs everywhere. And "The Time Machine" too.

At least after '83, if not before, you could easily buy or rent any vinyl at Gorbukha - any band, up to the "heaviest and nastiest" - Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, etc. I was really into "metal" at the time.

Maybe there were some horror stories when Andropov was general secretary, but that was a bit of a mishap.

Swetten:

"The Wall came out in '82.

Where to before that?

Or was there a KGB colonel sitting under every bush spying on passers-by?

Or were there total searches of Soviet citizens in the evenings?

Come on, don't be shy, tell us the truth - how scary it was in the USSR.

All discos were held within the framework of the relevant Komsomol district committee

The organisers had lists of bands that couldn't be "put on".

I've got a list from '85 somewhere. I remember "Zoo" "Televisor", about 50 bands in total.

I was a light-musician.

Fuck that.

Swetten:

"The Wall came out in '82. Where to before that? Or was there a KGB colonel sitting under every bush spying on passers-by? Or were there total searches of Soviet citizens in the evenings? Come on, don't be shy, tell us the truth - how scary it was in the USSR.

In '82, it was scary to listen to Vysotsky.

Richie:

In '82, it was scary to listen to Vysotsky.

Not every house in St. Petersburg had a tape recorder, but whoever had one had Vysotsky.

Tape recorder salesmen in shops would almost openly write anything they wanted on your tape for a fee.

Mischek: Don't go overboard, not every house in St. Petersburg had a tape recorder, but whoever had one had a Vysotsky.

The tape salesmen in the shops would almost openly write anything they wanted on your tape for a fee.

I'm not saying that, but I remember when the police confiscated a bunch of reels. Nothing happened but noise, but it left a mark.

I'm not talking about currency. You could go to jail for it.

Richie:

I'm not going overboard, I just remember the police seizing a bunch of reels. Nothing happened but noise, but it left a mark.

Just showed up and confiscated them?

Just to do nothing?

Richie:

I'm not going overboard, I just remember the police seizing a bunch of reels. Nothing happened but noise, but it did leave a residue.

I'm not talking about currency. You could easily go to jail for it.

I had a whole collection of currencies.

From Hungarian forints to U.S. quid.

From a two-pound GBP coin to some Indian pennies.

A lot of people knew about the collection - right down to the teachers and headmaster - I used to take it to school to do currency exchange.

And no one shot me down.

And part of the collection still lies safe and sound, by the way.

Richie, don't make a big deal out of it. It's about humour, if anything, not the bans of a "past country".

OK, Svetlana, I guess we lived in different dimensions :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaY2wM9zrM4&feature=fvw

Mischek:

All discos were held within the framework of the respective district committee of the Komsomol

The organisers had lists of bands that couldn't be "put on".

I've got a list from '85 somewhere, five of them were Zoo, Television, about 50 bands in all

I was a lighting musician.

Fuck it...

Hi colleague :)) The district committee made me organize a disco in the House of Culture because they liked the get-together we used to have at work.

In '82 we had a running strobe with 8 IFC-120 with reversing, 16 kW of stationary light on thyristors, a "light-piano" with 8 channels with manual and automatic rhythm setter, two guns, a 0.8 m ball, ultraviolet, and a pair of mini projectors on gimbal suspensions. On the screen - four slide projectors, two horizontally on the centre with an influx, two vertically on the edges. 600 people dance hall, 150 rubles for a disco for four.

Reason: