Discussion on MQL4 documentation

I'm sorry, gentlemen, but what is posted in the documentation section characterizes MQL (i.e. the company metaquotes) not from the best side. So it seems to me that as long as there isn't a normal description (much more comprehensive, with real examples) MQL will remain the destiny of the company's programmers and a very small number of enthusiasts. A pity - given the impressive number of MT users, MQL would have long ago gained a whole army of followers. Or are the company's experts simply incompetent?

On the whole, I support it.
The company of such a solid phenomenon as MT has been asking for a long time:
- A glossary of terms;
- A textbook on MQL4 with examples.

Dear titron,

- Have you read the built-in help in MetaEditor in Russian and English?
- Have you looked through the source code of many built-in indicators in MQL4?
- Have you seen other people's source codes, published in MQL4 Codebase and available through the editor in the "Library" window?

Any programming language requires a certain common level of programming knowledge.
MQL4 is based on C language, so you can read almost any C book and start programming.

Besides, we are seriously working on increasing the documentation and descriptions of our language.
And the https://www.mql4.com/ resource was created for this very purpose.

The main problem here is that many people simply do not know how to program, not in MQL, I am a C++ and Java programmer and learning MQL took well over a week at most... I'm a C++ and Java programmer, it took me about a week or more to learn MQL. the whole "difficulty" was to read about the basic functions, which, by the way, are given in exhaustive examples!
So first learn to program in C, at least in C, there are a ton of books for that, and do not blame the developers!!!! Good luck!

Ronen:
The main problem here is that many people simply do not know how to program, not in MQL, I am a C++ and Java programmer and learning MQL took well over a week at most... I'm a C++ and Java programmer, it took me about a week or more to learn MQL. the whole "difficulty" was to read about the basic functions, which, by the way, are given in exhaustive examples!
So first learn to program in C, at least in C, there are a ton of books for that, and do not blame the developers!!!! Good luck!
I'm not "persecuting" anyone personally. By the way, choose your words and don't be so categorical.

Users are indeed different, some of them unfairly accuse developers without good understanding of the question.
However, I stand by my opinion: a solid software product must be accompanied by its own complete documentation without reference to any other software products, languages or principles.

Apparently, this is why the developers keep improving the documentation:
In addition, we are seriously working to increase the documentation and descriptions of our language.
And we created the https://www.mql4.com/ resource precisely for this purpose.
This is a good thing.

I agree.
The documentation is very non-trivial. When I tried to open MQL4 documentation locally I had no access to it and thought it was missing. I have looked through the navigator - how do I get there?

Explain in detail - it's not clear from the pictures - how to open the language reference in the navigator window?

chelmaster:
I agree.
The documentation is very non-trivial. When I tried to open MQL4 documentation locally I had no access to it and thought it was missing. I have looked through the navigator - how do I get there?

Please explain in details - it is not clear from the pictures - how to open the language reference in the Navigator window?
Go to MetaEditor from the terminal by pressing F4, and in it already look for windows from screenshots.

now I see

Advice to those who want to learn MQL programming, but have not
have had no experience with good languages like C or Java,
First, read a book from the "C for Dummies" series, and write
some simple C programs with functions,
After this it will be easier to get the hang of MQL.

The existing documentation is good and sufficient
for work.
By the way, I've got a question by the way - has anyone encountered such a problem
- In MetaEditor, half of the help for the language
is displayed normally, and half of it, instead of Cyrillic, has some
gibberish instead of Cyrillic?

New:
By the way, a related question - has anyone encountered the following problem
- In MetaEditor, in the help of the language half of the help information
is displayed normally, and half of the information instead of Cyrillic some
gibberish instead of Cyrillic?
It is because of Internet Explorer settings and a bug described in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323569.
We tried many different ways to cope with this problem. Finally we settled on the following option:
if the hypertext has a charset setting, the topic is dumped to a temporary file, which opens it.
Wait for the next build.

I am a professional programmer, perfectly know several programming languages (including C-like ones) and earn my bread by programming, but, however, I fully support the author of this topic. Not for the first time I come across such a professional mistake of engineers, when having developed a project they say: "To master our product it is enough to read the technical documentation and the help, - and everything will be clear". Of course, the developers themselves will understand everything, but for the rest it is not so, the help is one thing, a textbook is another.

Your existing reference, I'm sure, has everything, but because of that it's easy to get lost, easy to get into those mazes that maybe I will never need. Without knowing the importance of those "thickets", I have to grit my teeth to read everything. A tutorial is necessary and it should play the role of a guide giving the user the basic information and "Hello, World!" level examples. The basic ideas of MQL should be consistent with the worldview. Now this is not the case.

For me, for example, to understand the general principle of programming in MQL, it is important to understand the space in which a program is executed and how it interacts with the "world around it" (for example, as JavaScript in a browser that sees a document through the DOM; or as a console program that runs code from beginning to end; or as a Delphi program that reacts only to various events). I searched for a description of the program structure or an example of a simple program, but didn't find one (maybe they exist somewhere, of course). The first two or three chapters of a textbook, which usually describe the role of the subject and its basics, would have been enough for me to understand it all, and then the existing reference book would come into effect. Of course, I will understand it all, over time, on the basis of the reference, but with much more effort.

By the way, how is it with the tutorial? The topic seems to be old, they haven't done it yet?

Reason: