Using MT4's VPS on Mac

Is it possible to use MT4's own VPS on a Mac, for a user who does not use robots (manual point and click trading only)? I am hoping to use the "Microsoft Remote Desktop" App (from the Apple App Store) or something similar, straight from my Mac. If I purchase a Third-Party VPS subscription, I believe I would be given login details I could enter in the "Microsoft Remote Desktop" app and was hoping these credentials would be available if I sign up for MT4's own VPS too.

Thank you!

170397: Is it possible to use MT4's own VPS on a Mac, for a user who does not use robots (manual point and click trading only)? I am hoping to use the "Microsoft Remote Desktop" App (from the Apple App Store) or something similar, straight from my Mac. If I purchase a Third-Party VPS subscription, I believe I would be given login details I could enter in the "Microsoft Remote Desktop" app and was hoping these credentials would be available if I sign up for MT4's own VPS too. Thank you!

MQL5 VPS system does not work that way. It is not a traditional VPS system and you cannot remotly connect to it via "Microsoft Remote Desktop".

Also, a VPS would also not help you at all for manual trading. A VPS is only useful for running EAs or Signal copy-trading.

Thank you. But I think you may have misunderstood my purpose for getting a VPS: I want to trade from my mac directly, without Windows Virtual Machinery or having to own a separate laptop with Windows installed (to run MT4 natively, not a clunky wineskin version, for example).

Furthermore, I want the benefits that a VPS offers over a home computer: Lower latency, more computing power, and less strain on my mac. Manually trading through a VPS, and doing so faster and more accurately than from a traditional home computer, would definitely be worth it for me.

By the way, I would be curious to know what virtualization technology, if any, MT4 uses for their VPS. One of the benefits of a Third Party VPS is being able to rely on the insulation of Hyper-V. Any idea if MT4 uses Hyper-V to ensure that each user has adequate RAM/CPU at all times, no matter how intensive other users' activities on the same server may be?

170397: Thank you. But I think you may have misunderstood my purpose for getting a VPS: I want to trade from my mac directly, without Windows Virtual Machinery or having to own a separate laptop with Windows installed (to run MT4 natively, not a clunky wineskin version, for example). Furthermore, I want the benefits that a VPS offers over a home computer: Lower latency, more computing power, and less strain on my mac. Manually trading through a VPS, and doing so faster and more accurately than from a traditional home computer, would definitely be worth it for me.

Manual trading via a VPS will not be faster. In fact, it can be slower! You will have the latency of your own connection from your Mac to the VPS, plus the latency from the VPS to the broker.

Also, for a VPS to be more powerful than your own mac, both in CPU and RAM, you will have to pay for a much more expensive setup. Besides, a traditional VPS is also a "Virtual Windows Machine", just like running it on your Mac.

I repeat, for manual trading you will not get any benefit from using a VPS!

If you really don't want to use a Virtual Windows from your Mac, then use the MetaTrader Web-terminal instead which you can use from Safari directly. No installation necessary!

MetaTrader 5 Web Platform
MetaTrader 5 Web Platform
  • www.mql5.com
Connect to your account and trade in financial markets directly from your browser

I really appreciate your feedback, but I must disagree strongly. Most true FX professionals use a VPS, even if they are trading manually: It is a huge disadvantage to not do so. See the video attached here for more info:<Deleted>

Feel free to share any articles or videos supporting your opinion on the drawbacks of a VPS for manual trading!

Thanks for your time!

170397: I really appreciate your feedback, but I must disagree strongly. Most true FX professionals use a VPS, even if they are trading manually: It is a huge disadvantage to not do so. See the video attached here for more info: Feel free to share any articles or videos supporting your opinion on the drawbacks of a VPS for manual trading! Thanks for your time!

I don't need articles or videos. I deal in facts, not fiction! If you want to believe in that propaganda video by a 3rd party VPS provider, then be my guest!

However, you will NEVER be able to use MetaQuotes MQL5 VPS system for manual trading no matter how much you try!

170397:

Do not post videos or links to any commercial website.

Fernando is correct. There cannot be any advantage by using a VPS for manual trading.

I won't be using  MetaQuotes MQL5 VPS system for manual trading, but will be using a different VPS. Like thousands of other professional manual traders. The video is made by a Forex Broker, who has absolutely no reason to lie about a free VPS they provide. If what you say is indeed factual, there would be tons of video/written proof and I would love to see some!

All the best!

Keith Watford:

Do not post videos or links to any commercial website.

Fernando is correct. There cannot be any advantage by using a VPS for manual trading.

Thousands of manual traders all over the world use a VPS. A professional who is in the business of making money (myself included) would not waste money on monthly subscriptions for something that loses money. If they did, they would not be in business very long. Kindly do a quick internet search on "VPS forex manual trading".

170397: I won't be using  MetaQuotes MQL5 VPS system for manual trading, but will be using a different VPS. Like thousands of other professional manual traders. The video is made by a Forex Broker, who has absolutely no reason to lie about a free VPS they provide. If what you say is indeed factual, there would be tons of video/written proof and I would love to see some!

Who would you rather learn from about this - a trader working for a broker, up-selling a VPS service that is only free if your account has a minimum of $2000 (and 20 lots traded per month), or an electronics engineer with 37 years of experience in IT, who has actually physically worked at a VPS hosting center, who has actually setup VPS systems many times, dealing with all the network issues that it entails, and knows in detail about the communications paths between the various endpoints, and also has the trading background to complement his knowledge?

But if you know better, then please go right ahead. It's your money and your time! Do with it as you please!

Reason: