How to random Lot size

How do i do a random lot size script on a simple MA EA?

Lets say for the fun of back test 10 - 100 Lot size

input int SmallSMA=5;
input int BigSMA=20;

void OnTick()
  {
   //we create a string variable for the signal
   string signal="";

//we calculate the small moving average
   double SmallMovingAverage1 = iMA(_Symbol, _Period, SmallSMA, 0, MODE_SMA, PRICE_CLOSE, 1);

//we calculate the big moving average
   double BigMovingAverage1 = iMA(_Symbol, _Period, BigSMA, 0, MODE_SMA, PRICE_CLOSE, 1);

//we calculate the small moving average
   double SmallMovingAverage2 = iMA(_Symbol, _Period, SmallSMA, 0, MODE_SMA, PRICE_CLOSE, 2);

//we calculate the big moving average
   double BigMovingAverage2 = iMA(_Symbol, _Period, BigSMA, 0, MODE_SMA, PRICE_CLOSE, 2);

// If BigMovingAverage > SmallMovingAverage
   if (BigMovingAverage1 > SmallMovingAverage1)

// If BigMovingAverage < SmallMovingAverage before
   if (BigMovingAverage2 < SmallMovingAverage2)

{
      //Set the signal variable to sell
      signal="sell";
  }

// If BigMovingAverage < SmallMovingAverage
   if (BigMovingAverage1 < SmallMovingAverage1)

// If BigMovingAverage > SmallMovingAverage before
   if (BigMovingAverage2 > SmallMovingAverage2)

{
      //Set the signal variable to buy
      signal="buy";
   }

// Buy Order   
   if (signal=="buy" && OrdersTotal()==0)
      {
      RefreshRates();   
      int ticket = OrderSend(_Symbol,OP_BUY,Lots,Ask,3,0,Ask+150*_Point,NULL,0,0,Green);

}  

else;

// Sell Order
   if (signal=="sell" && OrdersTotal()==0)
      {
      RefreshRates();
      int ticket =OrderSend(_Symbol,OP_SELL,Lots,Bid,3,0,Bid-150*_Point,NULL,0,0,Red);
      }
   // Chart Output for the signal
   Comment ("The Current Signal is: ",signal);

}   
//+------------------------------------------------------------------+

Smith Maxis:

Hi, before the OrderSend command you may recalculate "Lots" to a random number between 10 and 100.  I would do that on several steps to make it easier to follow, but once you recognizes how the MathRand function works, you would just code it straightforward in a single line:

double getRandomFrom0to32767 = MathRand();                // Standard "random" output of 0 to 32767

double lotsFrom0to1 = getRandomFrom0to32767 / 32767.0;    // Normalize it from 0 to 1

double lotsMultiplied90x = lotsFrom0to1 * 90;             // Expand the range from 10 to 100 (that is 90 width)

double yourRandomLots = lotsMultiplied90x + 10;           // Move the range to a minimum of 10

Lots = MathRound(yourRandomLots); // Round it to the closest integer (no decimal places)

https://docs.mql4.com/math/mathrand
MathRand - Math Functions - MQL4 Reference
  • docs.mql4.com

Rene Fernando Tovar Macchi:

Hi, before the OrderSend command you may recalculate "Lots" to a random number between 10 and 100.  I would do that on several steps to make it easier to follow, but once you recognizes how the MathRand function works, you would just code it straightforward in a single line:

double getRandomFrom0to32767 = MathRand();                // Standard "random" output of 0 to 32767

double lotsFrom0to1 = getRandomFrom0to32767 / 32767.0;    // Normalize it from 0 to 1

double lotsMultiplied90x = lotsFrom0to1 * 90;             // Expand the range from 10 to 100 (that is 90 width)

double yourRandomLots = lotsMultiplied90x + 10;           // Move the range to a minimum of 10

Lots = MathRound(yourRandomLots); // Round it to the closest integer (no decimal places)

https://docs.mql4.com/math/mathrand

Oh. Hmmm....i'm still quite new to this though. But interested in EA.  lol....was looking through MathRand but couldn't figure it out.

I'll give it a try. Thanks a lot.

Do u know anything about looping the OrderSend maybe 10 - 20 times?

Say i close the entry manual and the EA takes another entry. Look through quite a few examples but its all very complicated.

Hmm.....no errors no warnings when complie. But i do get OrderSend error 131....lol

Smith Maxis:
Hmm.....no errors no warnings when complie. But i do get OrderSend error 131....lol

Hi, error 131 is "ERR_INVALID_TRADE_VOLUME" ... which means the number sent to the broker as the lot quantity does match the broker limits.  i.e. If I use "0.01" but the broker minimum is "0.10".  Or if I use "0.12" but the broker step increase for lots is "0.10" hence I have to go for "0.10" or "0.20".  Or if I use "0.1111" but only 2 decimals are accepted.  Or if I use "123.00" but the broker limit is "10.00".  Try displaying in the log the amount used in the OrderSend command.  i.e. Print("Lots=", Lots);

Smith Maxis:

Oh. Hmmm....i'm still quite new to this though. But interested in EA.  lol....was looking through MathRand but couldn't figure it out.

I'll give it a try. Thanks a lot.

Do u know anything about looping the OrderSend maybe 10 - 20 times?

Say i close the entry manual and the EA takes another entry. Look through quite a few examples but its all very complicated.

Hi, to the MathRand command, you may play a bit to get to learn .... i.e.

int OnInit()
  {
    for (int k=0; k<100; k++)
    {
      Print(MathRand());
      // then you may add here whatever idea you would like to test to play how you can get what you have in mind
    }
    return(INIT_SUCCEEDED); 
  }

I always write quick EA's just with the On Init section to get to learn, or to assemble a new function where I could test it thru loops to make sure is returns the desired value for every possible scenario before I add it to my real EA.

To your question about "looping the OrderSend" ... yeah, I learnt it from a money manager, he suggested me rather than creating a single order of 0.20 lots, better create 4 of 0.05.  Then it's easier to perform "partial closure" if he thinks it's time to take some Profit, but risking another part if it grows more.  Then, I just split the former lot into 4 and put the "OrderSend" in a loop.

But .... programming validations ... don't forget to always check return code after an OrderSend.  i.e. "int justChecking = GetLastError()" ... because there could be any circumstance where your price is no longer valid, market closed, or just internet delays / temporary disconnections, etc. .... you could take action on the error.  Usually I just code a loop to attempt "OrderSend" 3 times.  You may play with that in a demo account to get to learn more details that a real EA would need to take into account.

Rene Fernando Tovar Macchi:

Hi, to the MathRand command, you may play a bit to get to learn .... i.e.

I always write quick EA's just with the On Init section to get to learn, or to assemble a new function where I could test it thru loops to make sure is returns the desired value for every possible scenario before I add it to my real EA.

To your question about "looping the OrderSend" ... yeah, I learnt it from a money manager, he suggested me rather than creating a single order of 0.20 lots, better create 4 of 0.05.  Then it's easier to perform "partial closure" if he thinks it's time to take some Profit, but risking another part if it grows more.  Then, I just split the former lot into 4 and put the "OrderSend" in a loop.

But .... programming validations ... don't forget to always check return code after an OrderSend.  i.e. "int justChecking = GetLastError()" ... because there could be any circumstance where your price is no longer valid, market closed, or just internet delays / temporary disconnections, etc. .... you could take action on the error.  Usually I just code a loop to attempt "OrderSend" 3 times.  You may play with that in a demo account to get to learn more details that a real EA would need to take into account.

I see, thank you so much. I have teached me a lot. 

I was interested in EA many years back. But real life work took too much of my time and I forgotten all about it. 

Not really a programmer myself. Only able to understand simple stuff for MQL5. 

Thanks again.!

Reason: