Buffer overflows - page 5

Sergey Golubev:
I was joking .. "on behalf of comrad Stalin" ... he was a moderator of my country some years ago ..

tf😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

JC:

Yeah, I was literally laughing out loud at the Stalinist way in which my posts have been deleted, but the moderator has kept his own posts where he denounces me for writing things which have now been removed from history. 

On behalf of this forum, we have failed you.

We can't continue trashing people who provide useful responses in this forum.

I'd take a one or two less relevant posts from a useful contributor positively. Surely, I can tell if a post is off-topic, and decide whether to read it or not.

JC

We're sorry.

JC:

No, they weren't about that. They were quoting from it, because it is a very, very, very famous line about censorship.

Ban me all you like. Before I go, I'll just remind you that it's me who produced the answer on this topic which the OP actually found useful. The moderators of this forum have, over the years, driven away pretty much all the most useful contributors - go back and look.

The main problem of this forum is not the lack of a strong organization, or the lack of contributors with a good knowledge of trading as you stated somewhere (probably on a deleted post as I didn't find it), although these are real issues. The main problem is ego, you have demonstrated it masterfully here. No offense but your reaction there is just ridiculous, think about it quietly. I fell myself several times in this trap, and when I was moderator I made a lot of errors in that regards. But I am still here, because I was able to learn (interestingly I probably learnt more about human behaviour than about coding on this forum) and to move forward. I hope you will be able to do it as you are without any doubt one of the great content contributor on this forum.

Buffer overflows
Buffer overflows
  • www.mql5.com
Hello. I'm curious...

Nelson Wanyama:

On behalf of this forum, we have failed you.

We can't continue trashing people who provide useful responses in this forum.

I'd take a one or two less relevant posts from a useful contributor positively. Surely, I can tell if a post is off-topic, and decide whether to read it or not.

JC

We're sorry.

Who do you think you are?

You are a forum member and you are entitled to your opinion, but your views do not represent the forum membership as a whole.

Please direct us to the posts where this so-called trashing of JC has happened. It won't take long to review the topic and post some links to the "trashing" posts.

Incidentally, I notice that you feel it is perfectly OK for you to trash WHRoeder in post #2. WHRoeder may be blunt but he is also a very useful contibutor to the forum.

Nelson Wanyama:

Well, buffer overflow is a not a secret, and any C++ programmer should be aware of it. If you are not, just relax and let those who have, give their opinions.

And btw, I have noticed your rude answers in most threads. You might wanna stop answering since you're not so helpful anyway.

You may be able to make your own decision as to whether a post is off-topic or not and choose to read it or not. Other people get exasperated when there is a deluge of posts not relevant to the topic.

As a moderator, I am often criticised either for deleting/moving posts by some or for allowing them to stay by others. You can't please everybody......

You have no idea what the forum would be like without the work that we moderators do. Work that generally goes unappreciated. Without moderation the forum would end up in a total mess (or I should say a bigger mess than it is in now).

Now, if you feel that you have something to apologise for, fair enough, but please do not apologise on behalf of me or any other forum member. I have nothing to apologise for.

After this post I will move the 2 off-topic posts that started this fuss back here. Maybe somebody can enlighten me as to what all the fuss was about?

And these are the 3 posts by JC that I deleted.

JC:

Comments that do not relate to this topic, have been moved to "Off Topic Posts".

Interesting choice of posts to leave, and to remove.

Ant & Cleo, II.ii, line 108.

JC:

JC:

Ant & Cleo, II.ii, line 108.

.. given that the text is notoriously corrupt, I suppose I should say that the edition to hand which I'm referencing is the Riverside, 1974 edition.

JC:

English isn't your first language. For an educated native speaker, the reference above is to Shakespeare's Antony and Cleopatra, act 2 scene 2, line 108, Enobarbus to Antony:

Not babbling. Just succinctly commenting on which one got removed out of a series of equally "off topic" posts.

I am really considering following in Alain's footsteps and resigning as a moderator.

I've had enough of the criticism and the endless PMs from people who think that I should solve all their problems. As well as the "hate" mail from people who try to sneak in advertising.

Nelson Wanyama:
Hello. I'm curious. Since MQL is very similar to C++, is there a possibility of buffer overflow being a course of consern for MQL programmers or MetaQuotes? How  has MetaQuotes navigated around this problem if it is non-existent?
  1. If you are "Curious", you didn't do the proper research, so expect any kind of answers.
  2. MQL is NOT very similar to C++, MQL is derived from C++.
  3. There is not such a thing of "buffer overflow". There is MEMORY overflow, and it could happen anywhere from low-level programming languages through high-level programming languages.
  4. What concern?? If you are a good programmer you don't need to be worried about it!
  5. If you are a bad programmer you will know that when your code crashes miserably from the start.
What EXACTLY do you need to know??

Flavio Jarabeck:
  1. If you are "Curious", you didn't do the proper research, so expect any kind of answers.
  3. There is not such a thing of "buffer overflow". There is MEMORY overflow, and it could happen anywhere from low-level programming languages through high-level programming languages.
  4. What concern?? If you are a good programmer you don't need to be worried about it!
  5. If you are a bad programmer you will know that when your code crashes miserably from the start.

Though what you said is maybe correct, I don't see the pertinence of this post, it add nothing to what was already said, the question was already answered. And you are using uselessly an aggressive and arrogant tone.

Please don't start an other dispute.

Flavio Jarabeck:

1. I'm expecting any kind of answer, including yours.

2. Thanks for quoting me.

3. No buffer overflow? Really? 

4. I'm curious. Not concerned.

5. I'm a good programmer. I guess this doesn't apply to me.

Keith Watford:

Who do you think you are?

You are a forum member and you are entitled to your opinion, but your views do not represent the forum membership as a whole.

Please direct us to the posts where this so-called trashing of JC has happened. It won't take long to review the topic and post some links to the "trashing" posts.

Incidentally, I notice that you feel it is perfectly OK for you to trash WHRoeder in post #2. WHRoeder may be blunt but he is also a very useful contibutor to the forum.

You may be able to make your own decision as to whether a post is off-topic or not and choose to read it or not. Other people get exasperated when there is a deluge of posts not relevant to the topic.

As a moderator, I am often criticised either for deleting/moving posts by some or for allowing them to stay by others. You can't please everybody......

You have no idea what the forum would be like without the work that we moderators do. Work that generally goes unappreciated. Without moderation the forum would end up in a total mess (or I should say a bigger mess than it is in now).

Now, if you feel that you have something to apologise for, fair enough, but please do not apologise on behalf of me or any other forum member. I have nothing to apologise for.

After this post I will move the 2 off-topic posts that started this fuss back here. Maybe somebody can enlighten me as to what all the fuss was about?

I don't see where we're going with this. Ego can sometimes be a bad thing. So, I'm letting you win since I'm not getting paid to maintain this thread😎

Reason: