EA Backtesting with real broker Historical data

Hi, how can you backtest against real live data ? I see that MT4 historical data is stored in history folder (there are multiple default, DEMO & LIVE folders). I am guessting live data goes into live folders, but my question is, how can I modify settings in EA tester so it runs against this live data and not any other data. 

Also, what do you recommend to get updated historical data into MT4 that works reliably ?

thanks in advance

tomgivens2015:

Hi, how can you backtest against real live data ? I see that MT4 historical data is stored in history folder (there are multiple default, DEMO & LIVE folders). I am guessting live data goes into live folders, but my question is, how can I modify settings in EA tester so it runs against this live data and not any other data. 

Also, what do you recommend to get updated historical data into MT4 that works reliably ?

thanks in advance

Personally, I log in to the LIVE and download the historical data, save it in a known location. Then I close all the charts in the demo (important), delete the history folder in the demo, relaunch the demo, and import the files that u downloaded from the LIVE. Its a process, but the results are obvious. 

Thanks @cidand1, 

I got part of where data goes. Should I assume that we can go about doing back testing in MT4 the usual way after doing this step ? Means, MT4 tester will use live data instead of demo data ? I am afraid somehow I might open a chart in demo, and it might overwrite live data with demo data, I am wondering is there a way we can setup folder location where to take test data for back testing ?

I tried to import .hst files into demo, but it does not seem to be working, am I doing it differently than what needs to be ? 

Also, do we need to log into demo or live account when using backtester in MT4 ? Can we do testing without logging into broker server ?

Files:

In future please post in the correct section
I will move your topic to the MQL4 and Metatrader 4 section.

update, I managed to google, and search forum to find some links, but sometimes having too much information from different perspective creates confusion. Can anyone help clarify ?

I have also tried to copy and paste .hst files in tester/history folder, I have lots of data for M1, but it only shows very few bars compared to years of history downloaded..so not sure where its a disconnect. I also have tried to login into demo account, live account while using back tester..not that it is helping ,but just in case..

would appreciate any direction. 

Oh, thanks Keith, was not aware of which section it needs to go. 

Tom Givens: I have lots of data for M1,

You need all TFs. Only  MT5 creates them from M1 data. Download the others or use the period converter to create them.

Reason: