EA tests on historical data seems defective - page 2

Yep, done that a fair few times too :-)

Hi, thanks, Good Saturday weekend to you UK.

A few updates, I have done all that, it was awesome. Then, after all that, importing, running script, getting all timeframe charts up etc, I opened a demo account, login. (is this a big mistake?)

Will that demo account I open, cause to overwrite, affect, etc, causing data quality to be ruined?

Or I should not have been such a wise ass in opening that demo, after all that hard work?

diostar:

Hi, thanks, Good Saturday weekend to you UK.

A few updates, I have done all that, it was awesome. Then, after all that, importing, running script, getting all timeframe charts up etc, I opened a demo account, login. (is this a big mistake?)

Will that demo account I open, cause to overwrite, affect, etc, causing data quality to be ruined?

Or I should not have been such a wise ass in opening that demo, after all that hard work?

:-) if you don't make mistakes you won't learn from them :-)

Open the Demo account by all means, you do infact need a valid account. But when I run the Strategy tester I don't login, then there is no risk of overwriting your test data that you have spent time creating . . .

The other thing you can do is when you have created all your hst files using period_converter copy them somewhere . . if they do get overwritten by mistake you can simply copy them back. I use tick data and have all my hst and fxt files saved well away from any MT4 terminals . . . ;-)

RaptorUK:

:-) if you don't make mistakes you won't learn from them :-)

Open the Demo account by all means, you do infact need a valid account. But when I run the Strategy tester I don't login, then there is no risk of overwriting your test data that you have spent time creating . . .

The other thing you can do is when you have created all your hst files using period_converter copy them somewhere . . if they do get overwritten by mistake you can simply copy them back. I use tick data and have all my hst and fxt files saved well away from any MT4 terminals . . . ;-)

Aren't the ones I have now, tick data? With 90% quality, right?

Bad news, I took a look at the History Center, and I saw that the data are updated by the demo account, perhaps overwritten as well. Looks like I did make a BIG mistake, after all.
I may need to go for a third lap, at this routine.

Since logging in isnt necessary while on test mode, there is actually no need for the account, right? I just want to make certain I am testing on good sets of data.

diostar:

Aren't the ones I have now, tick data? With 90% quality, right?

Bad news, I took a look at the History Center, and I saw that the data are updated by the demo account, perhaps overwritten as well. Looks like I did make a BIG mistake, after all.
I may need to go for a third lap, at this routine.

Since logging in isnt necessary while on test mode, there is actually no need for the account, right? I just want to make certain I am testing on good sets of data.

You have synthesised tick data, the M1 data and the volume info are used to synthesise the tick data, this "tick data" is stored in tester/history in an fxt file. The tick data I use is actually downloaded as tick data and saved into a CSV file, that CSV file is used to make the hst files and a real tick data fxt file to be used in the Strategy Tester.

You do need to have a valid account before you can start using the Strategy Tester as far as I know, from the website linked to . . . "The reason is to create a folder structure for all the currency pairs, which we will be importing data into very soon.". so if you have the folder structure already you probably don't need to create a new Demo account . . . although I'm not sure what will happen with your spreads . . . you might need a tool to fix the spread. i have one if you need it . . .

All I do to disconnect is click File, Login and use a random number, this login fails, then restart MT4 and click cancel when it asks you to login.

This picture of M1 chart showed what had happened. Jan 2009,...continue....27 Sep 2011.

Can you guys please tell me this - if you have a M1 chart is there a way to scroll quickly through it. For example, suppose I am looking at the beginning year 2001, and I quickly want to see some portion of 2005.

I mean clicking on a different period i.e. W1, does not accomplish what I want because I still want to be looking the the M1 chart but in a different section of time.

I hope I that's not a confusing question. If so I can clarify.

marketpirate:

Can you guys please tell me this - if you have a M1 chart is there a way to scroll quickly through it. For example, suppose I am looking at the beginning year 2001, and I quickly want to see some portion of 2005.

I mean clicking on a different period i.e. W1, does not accomplish what I want because I still want to be looking the the M1 chart but in a different section of time.

I hope I that's not a confusing question. If so I can clarify.

Do you have M1 data for 2001 ? You can scroll quickly using PageUp and PageDown and also Home and End

RaptorUK:
Do you have M1 data for 2001 ? You can scroll quickly using PageUp and PageDown and also Home and End

Yea I do...but i was asking more hypothetically, using hypothetical dates. When I look at the M1 chart (for example) to get beyond even the current DAY takes forever. But I guess I was using the LR arrows.

I'll be amazed if i missed such an obvious navigation option as pgup pgdown.

Let me try.

Thanks

marketpirate:

I'll be amazed if i missed such an obvious navigation option as pgup pgdown.

Let me try.

Thanks

Be amazed . . YW.
Reason: