VPS Reboot/Maintenance?

Hi,

Do the VPS sometimes reboot unexpectedly or do they have a published maintenance schedule?

Background:

Been using VPS for the first time on Metatrader 5 for the last three weeks.

Woke up today to find that a couple of trades had unexpectedly and unfortunately hit their server side stoplosses, whereas we would have expected our EAs to have intervened and managed them to minimise the loss or even out of loss.  Thankfully we are currently still testing for differences between live and test environments with tightly controlled risk settings (and also had the risk tightened down due to the volatility of the markets at the moment) so in financial terms the loss was contained to under £100, but irritating nevertheless.

On noticing we had push notifications of the EAs restarting at 02:00 investigated and it seems the VPS may have stopped and restarted.  We run the same EA across several pairs and each starts creating a unique MAGIC and found that the EA now managing any given pair had a different MAGIC from the failed trades, showing they were not the same instance of EAs running last night, and the EA logs confirm that the "old" EAs simply seems to have vanished and the new set seem to have started up with the journal giving the same kind of text it does when we have manually migrated a new version of the EAs. 

So question really as we are new to VPS but one of the main reason for using VPS is to avoid exactly this circumstance of a machine unexpectedly rebooting.

thanks

Steve

Steve Clark:

Hi,

Do the VPS sometimes reboot unexpectedly or do they have a published maintenance schedule?

Background:

Been using VPS for the first time on Metatrader 5 for the last three weeks.

Woke up today to find that a couple of trades had unexpectedly and unfortunately hit their server side stoplosses, whereas we would have expected our EAs to have intervened and managed them to minimise the loss or even out of loss.  Thankfully we are currently still testing for differences between live and test environments with tightly controlled risk settings (and also had the risk tightened down due to the volatility of the markets at the moment) so in financial terms the loss was contained to under £100, but irritating nevertheless.

On noticing we had push notifications of the EAs restarting at 02:00 investigated and it seems the VPS may have stopped and restarted.  We run the same EA across several pairs and each starts creating a unique MAGIC and found that the EA now managing any given pair had a different MAGIC from the failed trades, showing they were not the same instance of EAs running last night, and the EA logs confirm that the "old" EAs simply seems to have vanished and the new set seem to have started up with the journal giving the same kind of text it does when we have manually migrated a new version of the EAs. 

So question really as we are new to VPS but one of the main reason for using VPS is to avoid exactly this circumstance of a machine unexpectedly rebooting.

thanks

Steve

The MQL5 VPS can restart on upgrade (or some failure) sometimes, but this usually takes a few seconds (5-10 at the most) and then your prior trading environment with your EAs and indicators is loaded again.

Eleni Anna Branou:

The MQL5 VPS can restart on upgrade (or some failure) sometimes, but this usually takes a few seconds (5-10 at the most) and then your prior trading environment with your EAs and indicators is loaded again.

Thanks for the information.

That's a bit of a pain, but I'm glad we discovered it now while trading with tight risk parameters.  I'll have to look at getting the restarted EAs readopting the orphaned trades that are already open and reconstructing the decision making information.

Steve 

Steve Clark #:

Thanks for the information.

That's a bit of a pain, but I'm glad we discovered it now while trading with tight risk parameters.  I'll have to look at getting the restarted EAs readopting the orphaned trades that are already open and reconstructing the decision making information.

Steve 

I have been having this issue for a long time with other VPS's so this is why I am starting to look here.

If the VPS is shut down for update/maintenance I lose all my information with the chart which is created during the EA operation, it is not hard info but a memory info.

It has forced me to change my EA but still have the same problem.

A big problem when they do have maintenance is the little notice.

GTman #:

I have been having this issue for a long time with other VPS's so this is why I am starting to look here.

If the VPS is shut down for update/maintenance I lose all my information with the chart which is created during the EA operation, it is not hard info but a memory info.

It has forced me to change my EA but still have the same problem.

A big problem when they do have maintenance is the little notice.

This is not the case with MQL5 VPS, it stores the trading environment on file before any maintenance or update and re-loads it afterwards.

Reason: