Discussion of article "Merrill patterns"

New article Merrill patterns has been published:

In this article, we will have a look at Merrill patterns' model and try to evaluate their current relevance. To do this, we will develop a tool to test the patterns and apply the model to various data types such as Close, High and Low prices, as well as oscillators.

In order to clarify how and for what data we are going to apply Merrill patterns, we need to understand what they actually are. The main two categories are the patterns resembling the letters M and W. They are called M and W patterns. Each of the categories contains 16 patterns.

Fig. 1 represents 16 M patterns. As we can see, the difference is in the mutual arrangement of the five points that make up the pattern.  

Author: Alexander Fedosov

Interesting article(!) but haven't you run at least a basic test of the performance of the patterns and share it here like: timeframe, timespan, found, threshold, how often threshold touched?

Carl Schreiber:
Interesting article(!) but haven't you run at least a basic test of the performance of the patterns and share it here like: timeframe, timespan, found, threshold, how often threshold touched?

What's the point of this? There are a lot of configuration options. Everyone can choose something of their own.

Good article, but I found a mistake.
In the GetCategories function on line 1055 of MainWindow.mqh, you calculate the number of days (or other timeframe). That's different than the number of candles.
I have tested it with the D1 Chart (EURUSD), Pattern M1. GetCategories returns the result of 37 candles backwards from the patterns. M1 Pattern on 1.7.2019, GetCategories returns the result of 9.5.2019 (Highs and Lows).

I don't know how to correct this. 

Regards

Alex

Hi Alex,

What a great article and i'm interesting to try it. 

I opened the your project in MQL5 editor. 

I have placed all the files on the location and run the program. found below errors 

resource file '\Images\EasyAndFastGUI\Candles\passive_2.bmp' not found MainWindow.mqh 1244 11

resource file '\Images\EasyAndFastGUI\Candles\pressed_2.bmp' not found MainWindow.mqh 1245 11

'iATR' - wrong parameters count MainWindow.mqh 850 14

3 errors and 18 warnings. is anything missing?

Wan Hasanul:
resource file '\Images\EasyAndFastGUI\Candles\passive_2.bmp' not found MainWindow.mqh 1244 11

resource file '\Images\EasyAndFastGUI\Candles\pressed_2.bmp' not found MainWindow.mqh 1245 11
Files:
Images.zip  188 kb
Reason: