Can't use custom indicators to make EA?

To add comments, please log in or register
JingleJongle
JingleJongle  

Hi guys,

I recently asked a developer if they can automate a strategy that I came up with using some indicators from the MT4 market.

However they said that it is not possible because in order to execute orders based on an indicator changing color (e.g buy signal to sell signal) there is no actual value available that they can use when they call the color value to get a position to execute an order.

Is is possible to make any indicator into an EA or are there specific rules and requirements an indicator needs before it can be turned into an EA?

I've done some programming myself so I can understand some of the coding side of things but due to English not being their native language it's quite hard for me to understand when they try to explain it to me.

I also don't have any experience with developing indicators/EAs so that explains why I don't know what these requirements are. If someone can fill me in and provide some info on how this works and if there are actually specific requirements that the indicator

developer has to have included for the indicator to be able to be used in an EA then if someone can explain that would be much appreciated!

fxsaber
fxsaber  
Show an example of such an indicator.
Alain Verleyen
Alain Verleyen  
JingleJongle:

Hi guys,

I recently asked a developer if they can automate a strategy that I came up with using some indicators from the MT4 market.

However they said that it is not possible because in order to execute orders based on an indicator changing color (e.g buy signal to sell signal) there is no actual value available that they can use when they call the color value to get a position to execute an order.

Is is possible to make any indicator into an EA or are there specific rules and requirements an indicator needs before it can be turned into an EA?

It's always possible. It can just be more or less difficult depending how the indicator is built.
William Roeder
William Roeder  
JingleJongle: Is is possible to make any indicator into an EA or are there specific rules and requirements an indicator needs before it can be turned into an EA?
Don't try do that. There are no buffers, no IndicatorCounted() or prev_calculated. No way to know if older bars have changed or been added (history update.)
Just get the value(s) of the indicator(s) into the EA (using iCustom) and do what you want with it.
You should encapsulate your iCustom calls to make your code self-documenting.
          Detailed explanation of iCustom - MQL4 programming forum
To add comments, please log in or register