Are EA activations tied to the computer or the account?

From what I remember, when I activated an EA on different installs of MT4 (tied to different accounts) on the same computer, I used one activation for each install. According to all the documentation I've read on this, it is one activation PER COMPUTER...meaning I can install the EA on as many accounts as I want and still only use one activation as long as this occurred on one computer. Which is correct? 

desertjedi:
From what I remember, when I activated an EA on different installs of MT4 (tied to different accounts) on the same computer, I used one activation for each install. According to all the documentation I've read on this, it is one activation PER COMPUTER...meaning I can install the EA on as many accounts as I want and still only use one activation as long as this occurred on one computer. Which is correct? 

You get one activation per machine (may it be PC, server or VPS), regardless of the number of accounts or MT instances you are running on that machine. So if the product shows 10 activations, you can use it on 10 different machines under the MQL5 login account you purchased the indicator or EA on. One caveat though is that when you make a hardware change on a machine the product will most likely need a new activation.

You're reply tipped me off to the answer. Thankfully  you mentioned the word VPS. I always use VPSes so when I put an EA on two different VPSes, I used two activations. Thanks for jogging my brain! 

Also if your computer takes some kind of major OS update, that could cause a few issues. Everytime Windows 10 takes a major update, my EA's has to be reactivated. 

But you can delete licenses from old computers, right? And then use it on new computers?

reich.r:
But you can delete licenses from old computers, right? And then use it on new computers?

Of course not, if that was possible what would be the point of limited activations?

Ja but if you change the computer more often. Then you cannot use it on new ones. And you bought the product. So you have the right to use it on different machines also in future.

reich.r:
Ja but if you change the computer more often. Then you cannot use it on new ones. And you bought the product. So you have the right to use it on different machines also in future.

You'd think so but this is not the case. 

I accidentally activated my licence on 2 other PC's, when I didn't require to activate it (I could have used Demo mode). 

I reached out to MetaQuotes support and they advised they won't deactivate it on the other computers and provide the 2 activations back.

I.e. If you run out, no matter what, you have to purchase the EA again. It's kind of crazy you have to pay for it after you already did so. I'm now careful not to activate it anymore in case I change PC's as I only had 5 activations.  

reich.r:

It's the same with your operating system.

That is also licenced for the computer/hardware that you are using.

You did not buy the operating system, you paid for a licence to be able to use legally it on that computer.

When you buy a new computer, it will come with a new licence, most of the time.

Make sure you read the terms and conditions that apply https://www.mql5.com/en/market/rules#part_IV
Rules of Using the Market Service
Rules of Using the Market Service
  • www.mql5.com
The Market section of mql5.com is a service for safe purchasing and selling of programs written in the MQL5/MQL4 language, hereinafter referred to as Products. The "Market" service is available for use only to mql5.com registered Users aged 18 and older, who accepted and agreed to be bound by the terms and conditions of the Market Terms of Use...

Oh my god, someone please help.

I changed a few VPS because of lousy internet connection and stability. Now i bought new VPS, and couldnt install the EA due to old VPS activation?

Oh my god. I changed few VPS in few days man. How to remove the previous vps that i have destroyed?

TRI Tham #:

Oh my god, someone please help.

I changed a few VPS because of lousy internet connection and stability. Now i bought new VPS, and couldnt install the EA due to old VPS activation?

Oh my god. I changed few VPS in few days man. How to remove the previous vps that i have destroyed?

go to your mql5 profile, on the left side, half way down page, is "Hosting", you can delete your vps's there. you can then create a new vps, but when you install your ea, you will use up another activation. If you run out of ea activations, you will have to buy more activations.

Reason: