OnTick function

Hello,

Could anyone explain what a single Tick really means on a chart (the event for which the OnTick function is called upon) ?

For me, it is every time the server sends a new price data on the chart. But, how often does the server do this data transfer? Is it for every specific time interval, or maybe it corresponds to a predetermined number of trades, or a predetermined volume of trades, etc ... ?

It is whenever there is a price change.

Keith Watford:
It is whenever there is a price change.

Thanks,

But, there may be 50 market trades or more in one second, usually each with slightly different price. I don't think the server really sends a new data to the chart for every micro trades, it should update the chart by grouping individual trades somehow. The chart never gets updated more than 3 times per second, even if the price fluctuates much faster (for example when an important news is being released). 

I even wonder if it is different for every broker or for every currency pairs.

pmemari:

Thanks,

But, there may be 50 market trades or more in one second, usually each with slightly different price. I don't think the server really sends a new data to the chart for every micro trades, it should update the chart by grouping individual trades somehow. The chart never gets updated more than 3 times per second, even if the price fluctuates much faster (for example when an important news is being released). 

I even wonder if it is different for every broker or for every currency pairs.

Why are you asking question if it's to ignore the answer ?

You got an answer. The chart is updated on each tick and you can have hundred ticks in a second.

Ok!! according to this very nice and patient person (!) above, there is not any upper limit for time frequency for price updates on chart.

that was all I wanted to know.

Topic closed

pmemari:

Ok!! according to this very nice and patient person (!) above, there is not any upper limit for time frequency for price updates on chart.

that was all I wanted to know.

Topic closed

Thanks for your kind words.
Reason: