How do I prevent auto updates? Or create fallback-points - page 3

kypa:
If MT4 is installed in Program Files (x86) folder UAC should be able to stop it.

Yes it is.

But when in a folder like C:\MT4\...it's not stopped. I still don't see why the UAC is asking a Yes/No confirmation to allow the application (MT4) to modify files, and if you answer No it modifies them anyway. Is this a UAC issue or an MT4 one, or what ?

Fernando Carreiro:

Yes, my installation was a "portable" one on seperate folder.

However, if I  revoke permissions on the two executables, I then get a UAC requesting for overwriting the file. If I say "no", then MetaTrader will just not run at all!

So, the only safe way to to block it, is to delete the downloaded files altogether and by revoking permissions on the download folder ("%APPDATA%\MetaQuotes\WebInstall") so that it does not downloaded ever again (see message below)!

2018.11.09 21:07:35.949    LiveUpdate: download of 'metaeditor.exe' failed

Yes of course, change permissions is working but that's an other matter. I would prefer to let the update be downloaded and just decide myself on which MT4 instance I install it.

Anyway...thanks for your time.

Alain Verleyen:

Yes it is.

But when in a folder like C:\MT4\...it's not stopped. I still don't see why the UAC is asking a Yes/No confirmation to allow the application (MT4) to modify files, and if you answer No it modifies them anyway. Is this a UAC issue or an MT4 one, or what ?

It could be a combination of the two where one method is blocked by the UAC, but then MetaTrader tries a different method when the first attempt fails!

Alain Verleyen: Yes of course, change permissions is working but that's an other matter. I would prefer to let the update be downloaded and just decide myself on which MT4 instance I install it. Anyway...thanks for your time.

Since when did MetaQuotes ever care about giveing us a choice in the matter?

Fernando Carreiro:
It could be a combination of the two where one method is blocked by the UAC, but then MetaTrader tries a different method when the first attempt fails!

Maybe.

Fernando Carreiro:

Since when did MetaQuotes ever care about giveing us a choice in the matter?

Yeah for sure, they don't care.

Alain Verleyen:

Maybe.

Yeah for sure, they don't care.

I have found a solution!! 

I'm just not sure whether it is a good idea to post it here on the forum for them to see. :)

Reason: