Help understanding indicator functions

Good day all

I just need some help understanding what the functions do/mean in the attached indicators

They are not explained well and i really have no idea how to configure the parameters

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Files:

ahmedk: I just need some help understanding what the functions do/mean in the attached indicators

They are not explained well and i really have no idea how to configure the parameters

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

For the AMA, read up on Kaufman's Adaptive Moving Average.

For the other, it is a Triple Donchian Channel breakout indicator.

Fernando Carreiro:

For the AMA, read up on Kaufman's Adaptive Moving Average.

For the other, it is a Triple Donchian Channel breakout indicator.

Hi fernando. Thank you for the info kind sir. will have a look. Much appreciated!

I checked all that out. Something things are clear. But i still don't know how to configure the actual inputs like if it's a moving average, deviation  or interpolation or what. Could you explain what the inputs mean please?

ahmedk: I checked all that out. Something things are clear. But i still don't know how to configure the actual inputs like if it's a moving average, deviation  or interpolation or what. Could you explain what the inputs mean please?

If you don't understand the indicators, then you should not be trading with them.

I suggest you first dedicate some time to learning the basics of trading and money management (position sizing), as well as learning more about the standard indicators and basic strategies used before playing around with custom indicators.

Fernando Carreiro:

If you don't understand the indicators, then you should not be trading with them.

I suggest you first dedicate some time to learning the basics of trading and money management (position sizing), as well as learning more about the standard indicators and basic strategies used before playing around with custom indicators.

i do know basics and all that. am not playing with anything.

How can i use them if i dont understand them? hence i asked so i can use them

If you dont know either that's fine. there's no need for condescending comments. you learn by trying and not just reading

one step taken is better than a 1000 steps imagined

ahmedk:

i do know basics and all that. am not playing with anything.

How can i use them if i dont understand them? hence i asked so i can use them

If you dont know either that's fine. there's no need for condescending comments

I was not being condescending and I was trying to be truely helpful. You may not appreciate what I said, but that is another matter.

For example, the Kaufman Adaptive Moving Average is described in great detail by the author in his book and describes each parameter and the mathematics of it, since it is based on a standard Exponential Moving Average. So, if you don't understand it, then you must dedicate some time to researching it until you understand how it works.

The same goes for the Donchian Channels and how a breakout strategy can be used with them. In this case, your indicator uses three different Donchian Channels of different depths. So, you will have to do research on that as well.

The parameters that you choose depend on many factores, such as the instrument being used and the time-frame as well as what type of strategy being used.

That is why you have to research all of these. It is impossible for me to teach you all of that in just a few lines of a post.

Fernando Carreiro:

I was not being condescending and I was trying to be truely helpful. You may not appreciate what I said, but that is another matter.

For example, the Kaufman Adaptive Moving Average is described in great detail by the author in his book and describes each parameter and the mathematics of it, since it is based on a standard Exponential Moving Average. So, if you don't understand it, then you must dedicate some time to researching it until you understand how it works.

The same goes for the Donchian Channels and how a breakout strategy can be used with them. In this case, your indicator uses three different Donchian Channels of different depths. So, you will have to do research on that as well.

The parameters that you choose depend on many factores, such as the instrument being used and the time-frame as well as what type of strategy being used.

That is why you have to research all of these. It is impossible for me to teach you all of that in just a few lines of a post.

i may have misunderstood your intent. Anyway what am asking is not to explain what each of the inputs will ultimately do mathematically, i mean what are the inputs. like for many indicators where it says MA period, or deviation, or mode shift and all that. It seems like abbreviations and the other one seems to be in german

If i knew what the functions name is, i could configure it. That's all

ahmedk:

i may have misunderstood your intent. Anyway what am asking is not to explain what each of the inputs will ultimately do mathematically, i mean what are the inputs. like for many indicators where it says MA period, or deviation, or mode shift and all that. It seems like abbreviations and the other one seems to be in german

If i knew what the functions name is, i could configure it. That's all

As I just stated, if you read the authors' explanation, they explain what each parameter is. There is no "German" and the abbreviations are the same ones used by the authors. I don't know how more simpler I can make it for you!

Did you read Perry Kaufman's book or paper on his indicator?

Did you read Richard Donchian's notes?

Fernando Carreiro:

As I just stated, if you read the authors' explanation, they explain what each parameter is. There is no "German" and the abbreviations are the same ones used by the authors. I don't know how more simpler I can make it for you!

Did you read Perry Kaufman's book or paper on his indicator?

Did you read Richard Donchian's notes?

I see. thank you for the help

Reason: