Historical data - page 5

Jhennifher: You mean the estrategie is not good or broker will deliberately do It?

Yes, the strategy is "no good"! Strategies that use Grid, same symbol Hedging or Martingale, are based on the false promise that it will always recover the loses, which is completely impossible. It has been proven over and over by experienced and knowledgeable traders.

All those strategies do is delay the inevitable, and sooner or later they will just blow-up your account and you will lose ALL your money. Unfortunately, newbie traders always fall for these "easy profit" strategies and always end up losing their money and becoming part of the "90/90/90" club!

90% of all retail traders, lose 90% of the money, within the first 90 days = "90/90/90" club!

I too, "joined" that club when I started out! Then I started to learn the proper way of trading, until I was no longer a part of it!

Jhennifher:

About avatar, I don´t want use my real photo here; this way, I´m using a blond like me :D

My EA works with hedge; It is the basic; EA executes orders based in some parameters, like bolinger and moving average.

So, what is the difference between virtual/real tp and sl?

I want backtest more real as possible; I don´t want a great performance on backtest and a poor in real trading, right?

So, for now, I´d like a experience with free options: like version lite or using data from dukascopy.

In back-tests in MT4 and MT5, Pending Orders and Stops (S/L & T/P) are triggered at the exact price they are set at, irrespective of the real market prices, so they suffer absolutely no slippage at all, even during very big gaps. This can cause the results to be "unrealistically good" in the back-test. So, in order to fix this and to be able to make them behave more like in a real market and provide more realistic results, the EA has to be changed to make use Market Orders instead and to simulate the stops (which is called Virtual/Stealth stops).

The EA has to be written so that the user can choose between using Real stops or Virtual stops, so that during back-test, virtual stops are used, and during live trading, real stops can be used!

Fernando Carreiro:

In back-tests in MT4 and MT5, Pending Orders and Stops (S/L & T/P) are triggered at the exact price they are set at, irrespective of the real market prices, so they suffer absolutely no slippage at all, even during very big gaps. This can cause the results to be "unrealistically good" in the back-test. So, in order to fix this and to be able to make them behave more like in a real market and provide more realistic results, the EA has to be changed to make use Market Orders instead and to simulate the stops (which is called Virtual/Stealth stops).

The EA has to be written so that the user can choose between using Real stops or Virtual stops, so that during back-test, virtual stops are used, and during live trading, real stops can be used!

Even has fca/ecn accounts problems with slippage and gap?

My EA doesn´t has a fixed level, tp is a value in points (I really don´t know if makes difference in this case).

So, backtest is better virtual and real account is better real?

Why not use virtual at backtest and real account?

I still didn´t understand the difference for EA using virtual or real execution. Could you give me an example to clarify it please?

I see about 90/90/90; but backtesting has good results for 6 years; I know It is not time to think I founded Sant Graal; there is a long way in my front; I already has a big broken, after that, I have another mindset. 

Jhennifher:

My EA doesn´t has a fixed level, tp is a value in points (I really don´t know if makes difference in this case).

I still didn´t understand the difference for EA using virtual or real execution. Could you give me an example to clarify it please?

I see about 90/90/90; but backtesting has good results for 6 years; I know It is not time to think I founded Sant Graal; there is a long way in my front; I already has a big broken, after that, I have another mindset. 

>> Even has fca/ecn accounts problems with slippage and gap?

Yes!

>> My EA doesn´t has a fixed level ... Why not use ... I still didn´t understand ... but backtesting has good results for 6 years ... after that, I have another mindset.

I think you need to study much more about trading, back-testing and coding, otherwise you will just continue to belong to the 90/90/90 club!

Just like a doctor, engineer, architect, carpenter or mechanic - they all need to educate themselves first for many years and then need to train for several years more to gain experience before they can start to apply their skill properly.

The same applies to trading and/or coding - you need many years to master it. You can't do it in just a few days, or weeks or even months - you need years of research and practicing!

Jhennifher:

If you ask your broker to close an order @ 1.5000, it may execute it at 1.5005. 

With virtual stop, if during the backtest the ea wants the position to be closed @ 1.5000, it may finally do it at 1.5007.

In both cases, it's approximative - I think that's what he meant by "virtual stops are better for backtest", it simulates a slippage - but it won't be neither the same slippage as your broker - it's not more realistic, in real conditions your order benefits of the best price available, and you can tell an EA to not act when the price doesn't fit your slippage policy depending on what's your broker's execution type.

The use of pending orders is also recommended. But ... all of that is very controversial.

Anyway, likely it's your first run, you're not looking for the exact will be your account's balance in 3 months, you're looking via the backtest for a magnitude order.

Fernando Carreiro:

>> Even has fca/ecn accounts problems with slippage and gap?

Yes!

>> My EA doesn´t has a fixed level ... Why not use ... I still didn´t understand ... but backtesting has good results for 6 years ... after that, I have another mindset.

I think you need to study much more about trading, back-testing and coding, otherwise you will just continue to belong to the 90/90/90 club!

Just like a doctor, engineer, architect, carpenter or mechanic - they all need to educate themselves first for many years and then need to train for several years more to gain experience before they can start to apply their skill properly.

The same applies to trading and/or coding - you need many years to master it. You can't do it in just a few days, or weeks or even months - you need years of research and practicing!

Sure, I study for last 2 years almost 24 hours each day :D. I passed by several situations: first lessons; courses; more courses; groups of whatsapp; more courses; broken real account; broken again...after that, I´d really a deep study for EA´s: firsts EA´s was a tragedy and very expensive ( I didn´t know how choose a good programer; I closed jobs cause develpers asked me and after I had no more support; I didn´t know how to make a good request; my orders were not clarify....after this, I was focus on price action (I really don´t believe in any indicators; for me, all of them are late - It is just my simple opinion...I know that there is a enormous variety of indicators and every day we have new indicators...

At this moment, I know request a robot with clarify rules and I know how make a good job, respecting all fases during the job request; I know how test a robot and find any problem faster; this way I don´t close the job if I find something suspicious; I think it is impossible have a full test of robot only in 7 days; always something can appear after a time; in this case, I just will let a good comment to developer after some days, cause if I need support after job, I will comment if developer helped me or no...

So, at this moment, I have a EA that I´m very satisfied, I had more than 6 years with a great growing in chart (45º), but I need understand better how works virtual and real stops; I know that I will understand It. I just want clarify how It works, I don´t want code it, I´m just a trader, all my attention is for that.

Icham Aidibe:

If you ask your broker to close an order @ 1.5000, it may execute it at 1.5005. 

With virtual stop, if during the backtest the ea wants the position to be closed @ 1.5000, it may finally do it at 1.5007.

In both cases, it's approximative - I think that's what he meant by "virtual stops are better for backtest", it simulates a slippage - but it won't be neither the same slippage as your broker - it's not more realistic, in real conditions your order benefits of the best price available, and you can tell an EA to not act when the price doesn't fit your slippage policy depending on what's your broker's execution type.

The use of pending orders is also recommended. But ... all of that is very controversial.

Anyway, likely it's your first run, you're not looking for the exact will be your account's balance in 3 months, you're looking via the backtest for a magnitude order.

I still didn´t understand what EA does different in execution at real or virtual stops...what is the logic for each one...how EA executes real and how EA executes virtual stops...

Jhennifher:

I still didn´t understand what EA does different in execution at real or virtual stops...what is the logic for each one...how EA executes real and how EA executes virtual stops...

Real stop are fixed, predefined, saved by the broker : if the terminal is disconnected, they remains, not hidden, legal, I use & recommend it.

Virtual stops are predefined by the EA logic, when the price is reached the EA closes it alone approximatively at the wished price (it includes : execution delay, slippage, memory etc ... a real mess) : if the terminal is disconnected you lose it, they are hidden to broker and can be used to pass thru eventuals limitations, sometimes illegal, I don't use & don't recommend it.

Icham Aidibe:

Real stop are fixed, predefined, saved by the broker : if the terminal is disconnected, they remains, not hidden, legal, I use & recommend it.

Virtual stops are predefined by the EA logic, when the price is reached the EA closes it alone approximatively at the wished price (it includes : execution delay, slippage, memory etc ... a real mess) : if the terminal is disconnected you lose it, they are hidden to broker and can be used to pass thru eventuals limitations, sometimes illegal, I don't use & don't recommend it.

Wow, now I can understand the differece; thank you; I´d really know it, but I didn´t know It as Virtual or Real : DDD

So, real stop advantage is that the bad events can not strike your price with the same force (in theory), cause they are fixed at a level price in broker server; in theory...as I said, It seem be very contoversial;

example at attached image: my long order was closed during gap and EA could close it only after gap (firs tick after EA received the information It was closed in midle of gap); but, my short was closed only 90 point after!! this cause me damage; why didn´t both closed at same level price (in this case, I know there is a difference ask/bid, but it is just 10 points, cause I used fixed spread as 10).

In this situation, virtual could be more profitable, cause Broker wouldn´t close my long in the middle of gap, right?

I´d really didn´t ever know It is ilegal :O, are you seriously about It? Whe is it ilegal? Your money is at broker and you are not doing nothing wrong! It is just a method of execution of orders, right?

I´d really must philosophize about advantages or disadvantages about real/virtual stop...

Files:
b.jpg  212 kb

Jhennifher:

Wow, now I can understand the differece; thank you; I´d really know it, but I didn´t know It as Virtual or Real : DDD

So, real stop advantage is that the bad events can not strike your price with the same force (in theory), cause they are fixed at a level price in broker server; in theory...as I said, It seem be very contoversial;

example at attached image: my long order was closed during gap and EA could close it only after gap (firs tick after EA received the information It was closed in midle of gap); but, my short was closed only 90 point after!! this cause me damage; why didn´t both closed at same level price (in this case, I know there is a difference ask/bid, but it is just 10 points, cause I used fixed spread as 10).

In this situation, virtual could be more profitable, cause Broker wouldn´t close my long in the middle of gap, right?

I´d really didn´t ever know It is ilegal :O, are you seriously about It? Whe is it ilegal? Your money is at broker and you are not doing nothing wrong! It is just a method of execution of orders, right?

I´d really must philosophize about advantages or disadvantages about real/virtual stop...

No. The virtual stop wouldn't have close it neither. Gaps happens, you may be angry because you lost that one, but it's also possible to take benefit from : there's way to avoid them, like stop trading few hour before the end of day/week, avoid some days ... it's called time filtering. 

Err .. sometimes broker use stoplimits, meaning that a stoploss can't be less far than x points of the open price : it's a manner to pass thru ... Now, how much illegal I dunno, would you be visited by the IRS because of .. I doubt but yeah .. you may be banned ! 

EDIT  : It's a daredevil method : at least I see it so, but you may like it ---> https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/178636

Strategy to discourage Stop Loss Hunting
Strategy to discourage Stop Loss Hunting
  • www.mql5.com
I had a neat idea come to me and I thought I should share it because it becomes *more effective* as more people do it...
Reason: