Is there an API for the ForEx?

Hello, I've recently been hired by a day-trader to write an application for him that will automatically trade based upon his stratagy.

What I'm wondering is, how does your application get the forex data feed? Is there a free API anywhere? Is there one that you can purchase? Basically I'm wondering where I can get a live feed into my applicaiton from.

Scorpion will answer this question more exactly, but for now I will write everything I know. Before Metatrader 4 , a trading platform from Metaquotes, there was Metatrader 3 , and they were distributing the API for it for free, now, when it`s Metatrader 4 time, the API isn`t for free anymore, and I hardly doubt they are selling it. But maybe they are, you should write them an email and ask them yourself. https://www.metaquotes.net . I heard that Dukascopy is selling their API, but as far as i remember ( I maybe wrong ) it was worth about 200k or something like that. But do you really need API to do this ? Maybe you could write him an trading expert, it is like a special thing for metatrader platform, written on metaquotes language , wich is accessible all over the net, just google it, and it will trade automatically on metatrader by the strategy you program in. I`m not a programer , so this massage may look silly for you, but I wrote all I know. But still, Scorpion is the coding guru around here, so he knows better .

To sum up:

• There's api for Metatrader 3, but it's discontinued.
  • There's no api for Metatrader 4.
  • Dukascopy.com provides API but they requires some deposit.
  • Oanda.com also provides API but they charges $600/month. (discount's available)
  • Forex.com (Gain Capital) has free API.
  • FXDD.com has API too. Not sure whether it's free.

You should email the brokers that you're interested. They will provide detail info.

Besides API, you can automate the systems by coding in script. MetaTrader has scripting engine that allows traders to automate their systems. Search for MQL4 tutorials (I doubt there's any at this time of writing). Scripting in MetaTrader 4 is popular. You can see lots of automated systems (so-called experts) in this systems forum.

Look at this one

Forex Advanced Login

All brokers have always provided an API. Nothing new.

Have a look on Apirates.com

I'm using this Forex API in my web app (flowindi.com) and it works well.

It is almost real-time forex data feed, perfect for my charts.

Ondra

Reason: