Triangular moving average (TMA) ... - page 23

Mladen i know the TMA bands repaint past history but in strategy tester is it the same as live trading? I ask because some indicators even fool you in the strategy tester and then repaint or repaint differently whilst live. So can I assume the TMA Bands act the same in the mt4 strategy tester as they would live?

I tried TMA true but with the same settings they still look different in the strategy tester..

iiCaptain:
Mladen i know the TMA bands repaint past history but in strategy tester is it the same as live trading? I ask because some indicators even fool you in the strategy tester and then repaint or repaint differently whilst live. So can I assume the TMA Bands act the same in the mt4 strategy tester as they would live? I tried TMA true but with the same settings they still look different in the strategy tester..

iiCaptain

I am not that familiar with "TMA true". It was a big hype for some time, but when I saw that they got it all wrong (that they omitted that centered TMA recalculates not the TMA) and when I saw that they failed to understand what is the nature of centered TMA, did not bother to see what were they doing with it. The basis is wrong (once I named it "something that looks like TMA" since the way it is calculated is rather odd) and I simply do not use that nor do I compare it to what it should be

mladen - so using your nice Keltner indi from post #221 with a 56 LWMA and 100 atr bands around it I'm assuming that the bands will not recalcuate/repaint after the candle is closed? Is there a possibility for the alert just to be given the first time it breaks the atr band top and bottom ?

handy148:
mladen - so using your nice Keltner indi from post #221 with a 56 LWMA and 100 atr bands around it I'm assuming that the bands will not recalcuate/repaint after the candle is closed? Is there a possibility for the alert just to be given the first time it breaks the atr band top and bottom ?

handy148

It does not repaint

As of alerts - here is a version with one options added : alertsOnlyOnOpositeBreak. If it is set to true it will work as you asked, If it is set to false, it will work as before (alert on every bands break)

mladen - in the indi price to use is set at default 5 - not sure what that is or what the options are. Also I notice that it prints a dot on every candle outside bands but presumably you only get the alert the first time?

handy148:
mladen - in the indi price to use is set at default 5 - not sure what that is or what the options are. Also I notice that it prints a dot on every candle outside bands but presumably you only get the alert the first time?

handy148

Price 5 is typical price (high+low+close)/3

And yes : it will still show dots on every candle that breaks the bands, but will only alert when the "trend" changes (when some band is broken for the first time) if the alertsOnlyOnOpositeBreak is set to true

Thanks for clarification on what price 5 is - so presumably if set to 0 then it will be close?

handy148:
Thanks for clarification on what price 5 is - so presumably if set to 0 then it will be close?

Yes

BTW: Price codes are the following

[TD]Low price.

[TR]

[TD]PRICE_MEDIAN [TD]4 [TD]Median price, (high+low)/2.

[TR]

[TD]PRICE_TYPICAL [TD]5 [TD]Typical price, (high+low+close)/3.

[TR]

[TD]PRICE_WEIGHTED [TD]6 [TD]Weighted close price, (high+low+close+close)/4.
PRICE_CLOSE

[/TD]

[/TD]

Close price.[/TD]

[/TR]

PRICE_OPEN[/TD] 1[/TD] Open price.[/TD]

[/TR]

PRICE_HIGH[/TD] 2[/TD] High price.[/TD]

[/TR]

PRICE_LOW[/TD] 3

mladen:
handy148

Price 5 is typical price (high+low+close)/3

And yes : it will still show dots on every candle that breaks the bands, but will only alert when the "trend" changes (when some band is broken for the first time) if the alertsOnlyOnOpositeBreak is set to true

You have been so so helpful and generous Mladen! I have been so blessed by your numerous contributions. Pls is it possible to create a simple EA using the Keltner channel breaks above? i.e sell when any candle pierces upper channel(doesnt have to close) and vice versa for a buy, with options to disable buy or sell depending on trend direction. And also a seting for maximum number of trades that can be open at a time per pair? Of course TP would be opposite outer band(with option to close manually if desired or trail...). Alternatively I would actually prefer coding the EA using this TMA version instead(attached). Tnx so so so much. God bless you.

Files:
fasttmaline.mq4  10 kb

Dear Mladen

Would it be possible for you to convert attached indicator using 'Triangular moving average' ?

Thanks in advance

secretcode

Files:
ma_i-ca_1.mq4  2 kb
Reason: