Are indicators for slippage possible?

I have an indicator for spread in my charts and wondering if there are any for slippage, or if that's not possible?

I know know many eas can be programed to enter or not enter a trade if slippage is above a certain level, if set too low it may not make the trade or may result in reqotes, how is that possible? I thought you could only know slippage after it happens? so if that is possible than are there indicators for it? i looked but no luck

also Im very glad to have found this site, exactly what i was looking for and am honored to be a member now after lurking around here for a month before joining nice to be out of the shadows

Slippage is set in EA's

sobepromotions:
I have an indicator for spread in my charts and wondering if there are any for slippage, or if that's not possible? I know know many eas can be programed to enter or not enter a trade if slippage is above a certain level, if set too low it may not make the trade or may result in reqotes, how is that possible? I thought you could only know slippage after it happens? so if that is possible than are there indicators for it? i looked but no luck

Hi sobe,

Yes, the EA's can be programmed for slippage... But slippage is NOT after the fact... It is set in the EA's itself.

Slippage is actually part of the Buy/Sell conditions that says for example...if the price "slips" over 5 pips higher (lower) than my trade order...don't trade...

So you already know your slippage ahead...because YOU are setting the allowable slippage in the EA when you send your order.

Hope this helps,

Robert

Hey guys..I think is a long time, but just wanted to say that is not a bad idea. If you only think the fact that there are 2 slippages at any given moment. One for buyers and an other for sellers and they should be proportional...I mean if the slippage for buyers is high, for sellers should be lower and vice versa. The interesting thing is that we can actually collect this data and make up a chart, and let say we can see that in the last 10 minutes or so, the slippage is much higher for sellers, that would mean that is harder for them to sell, so the market would fall farther. on the other hand, if it is higher for the buyers then nobody wants to sell..so the price would rise

But to collect the data, a failed order for a buy and an other for a sell should be sent to the server as frequent as possible to read the data..not sure the brokers would like it though.. What do you think?

I do not think that you can get a slippage by trying to open orders. Apart from obvious reason (draining your account in no time with such orders) one reason is evenn more obvious : sometimes it will open one order and refuse to open the other order with the same slippage. And if the broker is a market maker no way that you will find the exact slippage

Boannerges:
I completely agree with you mladen, it would be impractical to get to this data for many reasons as you pointed out, getting only from one broker wouldn't be as useful, but I think is critical information that we don't have access to anymore like the old timers used to do in the pit, (some of them refuse to quit and get a computer, joke) for example imagine a group of buyers trying to buy but the holders refuse to sell, nobody is buying or selling, but the price would rally further just because of this delay for the buyers to find sellers. The same would be, if holders are yelling to sell, but yet, despite their desperation, they couldn't find buyers, the price will roll over, not because anybody is selling, but only because every time they make an offer at lower prices yelling with ugly red faces, the less interested the buyer become, and the market will bleed exponentially every second. But again, nobody is selling or buying, and there is when the markets move (please correct me if I'm wrong). If you only had happy buyers and happy sellers with no delay, there is not reason for the market to move, and there you get consolidation. An other good example would be a big player at the middle of the night trying to buy big in a thin market, not good idea, as you know, price would come against him, and the reason is the same, everybody refuse to sell (or they are just asleep) and there he gets a very high slippage, and the market rallies. What do you think..?

I think that we should need level 2 data for that, and, as far as I know, metatarder never had anything similar to level 2. Some other trading platforms (and brokers that are providing access as a part of their service) should be used in order to have access to level 2 data

I completely agree with you mladen, it would be unpractical to get to this data for many reasons as you pointed out, getting only from one broker wouldn't be as useful, but I think is critical information that we don't have access to anymore like the old timers used to do in the pit, (some of them refuse to quit and get a computer, joke) for example imagine a group of buyers trying to buy but the holders refuse to sell, nobody is buying or selling, but the price would rally further just because of this delay for the buyers to find sellers.

The same would be, if holders are yelling to sell, but yet, despite their desperation, they couldn't find buyers, the price will roll over, not because anybody is selling, but only because every time they make an offer at lower prices yelling with ugly red faces, the less interested the buyer become, and the market will bleed exponentially every second. But again, nobody is selling or buying, and there is when the markets move (please correct me if I'm wrong). If you only had happy buyers and happy sellers with no delay, there is not reason for the market to move, and there you get consolidation.

An other good example would be a big player at the middle of the night trying to buy big in a thin market, not good idea, as you know, price would come against him, and the reason is the same, everybody refuse to sell (or they are just asleep) and there he gets a very high slippage, and the market rallies. What do you think..?