Run an EA on VPS

I just made an EA. From the back test the result quite OK. The profit approximately 5 to 10 percent per month. For me it was more than enough. I plan to run the EA from the VPS ( I will rent a VPS ). Is it safe to run the EA from VPS ? I am worried someone would steal my EA. What is the best VPS in terms of data security ? I need advice from all of you. Thanks

What advantages are you looking for by using a VPS instead of a server at home? The cheapest VPS I've seen runs $30/month. You can get yourself a brand new low-end PC (box only) from Dell for $266 - that's 9 months' worth of VPS rental.

I recently had a computer free up at home (the kids' computer) and I'm going to reformat and reinstall Windows on it this weekend to make an autotrading server. The specs on this computer are similar to the specs for a VPS - not high end, but good enough to run MetaTrader. This computer will *only* be used for running MetaTrader - no web surfing, no e-mail. It'll actually be very lightly loaded and run just as fast as a computer that's twice as fast when running MetaTrader.

The one advantage a VPS can give you is a low latency network connection to your broker's server. But unless you're implementing a scalping strategy it doesn't really get you anything.

If your network connection or electrical power are sketchy at home, then a VPS might make sense since they theoretically have backup power, etc. Otherwise, get your own UPS for home; a basic one is inexpensive.

Is it "safe" running an EA on a VPS? Probably not, strictly speaking. The server admins have full access to your storage and can see your EAs in the experts folder. An unscrupulous person could easily copy what you have. It's up to you whether you trust them or not. Even if you use just EX4 (compiled) files, they can still be decompiled back to MQ4 source code.

My $0.02

stevegee58,

Good explanation. I'm agree with you.

Bongo

A VPS is much safer than most residential set ups, commercial grade security, firewall, power back ups, multiple network connections for back up, raid systems for data backup, and much more.

Many services offer VPS free for the first 1-3 months, i would try it out first. We run EA's both from home and multiple vps and i have to say we are very satisfied with the VPS

I would go with the VPS. There are always so many things that can go wrong with letting the EA running from your home computer. Power can go out, internet connection can go down, kids, viruses, etc... If the EA makes good money then the $30-60 a month will be well worth it anyways. If you are concerned about someone stealing the EA then maybe you can get someone to protect it for you. Sure, nothing is 100% protected when you are dealing with electronic files but at least make it as hard as possible for them to steal and successfully use it.

VPS: ucvhost.com

Vps

I give you my experience with VPS.

I used 1and1 vps service.

The good: almost 100 % up time the last 2 years, fast internet connection.

The Bad: They reboot the computer once a moth to install security patches and a VPS is shared with other user and sometimes they hog the CPU and the VPS gets sloooow.

Also my Vps has 8 CPU it works great for running 8 back testings at the same time.

If you are afraid of someone stealing your Ea , then better host in a VPS, that does not have any plans for Forex traders. This way you are 99% assured that the people behind the VPS have not much idea of forex trading and EA technology.

I am running one in VPSland.com and I also use a desktop lock program , so that only me can unlock the desktop and see the applications.

Good Luck..

Reason: