Home setup for serious trading

I want to run my EAs at home without using a virtual host.

Other than a computer and a power supply, is there any other component I will need?

And, generally, I would like to hear your experiences about the home setups.

attila.okcu:

Other than a computer and a power supply, is there any other component I will need?

Hi Attila,

i use a server at home and a VPS.

The home server provides much more calculating power and is already paid.

The VPS offers the better latency to the trading servers of my broker (< 2ms) as has to be paid monthly.

So it depends on your needs.

I would always prefer the local solution as long as you do have a stable internet connection and power network

The VPS is just my backup and mostly used when i'm on vacation. 

Best regards

Daniel 

Thanks a lot Daniel.

I don't have so much experience in installing and using home servers.

From the point of view of trading, what are the differences between running Metatrader - or any other trading platform - on a home server and running them on an OS like Windows or MacOS?

attila.okcu:

I have a similar setup to Daniel’s, but in my case the various VPS setups (more than one) are my main setups, while the home setup is the backup and used for development and testing.

As far as running MetaTrader on a server OS versus the usual client OS, it is practically the same, but the main reasons for preferring a server OS, has more to do with the “other” functionality that it provides, especially in the case of a VPS. This is because it can have a smaller footprint on hard disk and RAM (as you don’t need all the extra bloat and eye candy) but also allows multiple simultaneous users, better resource management, better security and several other advantages.

On a VPS, usually only server OS is used or supplied by the VPS provider. You can theoretically setup a client OS, but that is usually a disadvantage for the reasons already mentioned.

PS! Please note that I refer to 3rd party fully functional VPS setups and not the MetaTrader VPS services by MetaQuotes.

Thank you Fernando.
Reason: