Automated Trading Championship 2008

Lenar:
.....One of the main purposes of the Championship is to raise the development of Expert Advisors among traders to a higher level.....

- but not the 'main purpose' obviously, otherwise you would have included even rudimentary code-debugging tools in your platform by now - hell, 4-5 years down the road, and we still have only the Comment & Print commands to work with!!!

In fact, one could argue (persuasively) that you have zero interest in seeing EA development progress, and in fact have a vested interest in seeing that the exact opposite occurs. The other inescapable fact is that the Metatrader platform still finds itself in the very bottom tier with traders, both in terms of platform functionality and the 'calibre' of broker it seems to attract - why is that?

omelette:
- but not the 'main purpose' obviously, otherwise you would have included even rudimentary code-debugging tools in your platform by now - hell, 4-5 years down the road, and we still have only the Comment & Print commands to work with!!! In fact, one could argue (persuasively) that you have zero interest in seeing EA development progress, and in fact have a vested interest in seeing that the exact opposite occurs. The other inescapable fact is that the Metatrader platform still finds itself in the very bottom tier with traders, both in terms of platform functionality and the 'calibre' of broker it seems to attract - why is that?

You get what you pay for. MT is free.

aegis:
You get what you pay for. MT is free.

The 'free' is an illusion - you end up paying through the nose through wider spreads, higher commissions, and unscrupulous brokers, many of whom have no hesitation in robbing its customers blind, aided and abetted by a platform designed precisely with this in mind. This is an undeniable reality of the Metatrader platform...

omelette:
The 'free' is an illusion - you end up paying through the nose through wider spreads, higher commissions, and unscrupulous brokers, many of whom have no hesitation in robbing its customers blind, aided and abetted by a platform designed precisely with this in mind. This is an undeniable reality of the Metatrader platform...

Good point Omelette, but how about MT4 ECN? Such as ATC brokers offering Hotspot feed? How would you classify that?

forexmoments:
Good point Omelette, but how about MT4 ECN? Such as ATC brokers offering Hotspot feed? How would you classify that?

I'm sure you agree that ANY platform is of secondary importance to your choice of broker - the sad fact is, and I take no pleasure in saying it, most MT brokers are scumbags!

You mention Hotspot. Well, they may be decent but they are also undercapitalised, so may have difficulties surviving the recent changes in financial requirements. btw, I opened an account with Aleccohfx precisely because of the promise of an non-dealerdesk, unfiltered ECN feed - not only was the feed filtered, it transpired that there was a dealerdesk on the LP's side, not with Aleccohfx - even though both 'companies' operated out of the same building!!!

This is the type of half-truths and lies that Metatrader has become synonymous with...

MetaTrader 4 is a good software and the brokers along with the traders understand this fact. Thats why both of them choosing this platform and terminals.

About the Main Purpose: please read attentively "raise the development of Expert Advisors among traders to a higher level". There is no even a word about MQL4 IDE development. We are gust trying to tech traders to use given functionality. The development level of most traders is at begging stage and they are now trying to learn to use basic things. At the same time you offering us to enrich the functionality... And we are actually doing it (MQL5), but not in frame of ATC.

"The other inescapable fact is that the Metatrader platform still finds itself in the very bottom tier with traders, both in terms of platform functionality and the 'calibre' of broker it seems to attract - why is that?"

More than 200 brokers/banks using our soft. worldwide There are very famous and respectable companies among them. For example, the same FXCM. Are you sure that you understand what are you talking about?

omelette:

Reality of MetaTrader 4 Platform is that its a product. And one of the best products in the world in its class. Thats all.

All the rest is just your opinion. The opinion of the man/woman who even do not understand what is to develop a Trading Platform.

I think we need to differentiate between the Metatrader platform, and the Metatrader brokers.

Lenar:
Reality of MetaTrader 4 Platform is that its a product. And one of the best products in the world in its class. Thats all. All the rest is just your opinion. The opinion of the man/woman who even do not understand what is to develop a Trading Platform.

Pity, I missed your response at the time ...

As for MT being the best "in its class" - probably, but then, its in the 'give-it-away' category! But, I agree that MT is good as a charting product, but is is absolutely hopeless as a EA development platform - which was the point of my first post here! (and unsurprisingly, you failed to address...)

btw, as you brought it up - most users probably realise that Metatrader is a "product", meaning, brokers have to pay Metaquotes to use it - what many don't realise is that there is an array of plug-ins made available to Metatrader-supporting brokers that are specifically designed to cheat customers out of their money! It is hard enough to make money in forex without having Metaquotes facilitating these underhand practices. And if you feel this comment unjust, kindly explain why the Metaquotes' forum instantly bans people who raise the 'plug-ins' issue?

Finally, while I'm sure you would like to see as many big reputable brokers as possible adopt Metatrader (as would I), as it currently stands, if one were to do a head-count, the majority of MT-brokers would be found wanting in the eyes of their customers - no doubt a reflection of the type of character that certain 'features' of the Metatrader platform tends to attract...

Omelette everything you said is true. Its ok for now for me because I just have a mini account but this is the reason I decided to learn java. As I don't want to rely on Metatrader and all the bucketshops when i have a bigger account.

Reason: