MT4 eating connection?

Greetings,

my MT4 platforms, live and demo, all display a tendency to eat connection proportionally to the time they are kept running. At start, download kb connection indicator at the lower right states less than 100kb traffic; after a day its over 1000kb, the next day over 2000kb and so on... I generally reset every demo three days in a row and I reset live one daily.

So can anyone tell me if you experienced similar stuff and how do i deal with it? Does it have anything to do with "max bars in chart/history" setting in Options? Considering the fact that this was present in build 204 and its the same in build 206, its probably not a bug (or am I wrong)?

hi

keramikus:
Greetings,

my MT4 platforms, live and demo, all display a tendency to eat connection proportionally to the time they are kept running. At start, download kb connection indicator at the lower right states less than 100kb traffic; after a day its over 1000kb, the next day over 2000kb and so on... I generally reset every demo three days in a row and I reset live one daily.

So can anyone tell me if you experienced similar stuff and how do i deal with it? Does it have anything to do with "max bars in chart/history" setting in Options? Considering the fact that this was present in build 204 and its the same in build 206, its probably not a bug (or am I wrong)?

Hi,

max bars can eat your bandwith too...how many charts open in your MT ?

===================

Forex Indicators Collection

6 on average, but problem is the same regardless of number.

I think what you talk about is normal. Right now my chart has recieved 933 KB in 6 hours.

Connection status only summarised the amount of KB Mt4 sends to and recieve from the server

Tragapips:
I think what you talk about is normal. Right now my chart has recieved 933 KB in 6 hours. Connection status only summarised the amount of KB Mt4 sends to and recieve from the server

Right, I'm pretty sure that is a cumulative total and not how much data is being transferred up/dn per second. You can always check task manager -> networking to get real-time utilization of your network adapter.

To verify this, you can delete all the tick information for a give cross/TF out of the history center and then try to run an EA on this same cross/TF, you should see the number in the lower right increase until it has all the data and then stop (I think anyway, haven't done this in a while).

True, downloading history increases first (download) number, but after download it goes to same level as before and steadily increases. Right now i have 6000/37 kb after 5 days not touching MT4 with 10 charts and EAs on it. I tried to find cap setting, but they arent apparent in the options. Maybe tweaking the config files could do the trick...

Every live tick you receive is going to cause this number to increase; if you cap this number (though I don't think that's possible) your MT4 terminals will stop receiving data altogether. Again this is a cumulative total, i.e. the total amount of data sent to your terminal since you fired it up, not the amount of data being sent to you at any given second.

I have two terminals running right now, one is at 1755/8kb and the other is 4444/16kb. This does not mean that I am receiving 6199kb at this second, but that I have received that much information since I started trading on Sunday.

My previous argument kinda conflicts with your theory: if i download history, DL goes up, and AFTER history is downloaded, it goes back down to where it was. Plus, upload number is always kinda the same - not cumulative, so i reckon the DL number reflects constant increase in traffic and UL number correctly shows constant traffic.

This DL traffic/ticks write themselves into history, but traffic should remain on the same level always (but it doesnt). So I see this increase as a bug.

Interesting, I've never seen the numbers actually go down, unless of course you restart the terminal in which case it resets both to 0/0. I must have missed that part of your earlier post. However -

If it really was a measure of kb/sec down then that would mean that I am recieveing ~6Mb down/sec right now, something which my ISP is incapable of doing (I usually get 150-200kb/sec down speeds, max has maybe been 275). Plus my network utilization would be maxed out, and right now it is at 0.01% on a 54Mbps card.

static is right, the number is cumulative and not related to throughput.

I've currently 9 instances of MT4 running and the networking usage shown in the Task Manager is around 0,03% max. I have a broadband monitor and it shows a download rate of about 3K/sec. So nothing to worry about.

Reason: