RSI crossover EA - page 4

Sent you a PM reply for more clarification, and my email address too! Btw, you can find the RSI Crossover Template in post #15.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for this EA. I am testing it now, but I don't seem to get the same entry and exit points, as compared to my manual testing. Like I said, BUY trades seems to be doing better than the SELL trade, so let's try to discuss this first.

April 2007 manual test results:

BUY 4/4 (00H) - 1.3335 (+34)

CLOSE 4/5 (02H) - 1.3369

BUY 4/9 (07h) - 1.3365 (+42)

4/10 (00h) - 1.3378 (+29)

CLOSE 4/10 (07H) - 1.3407

BUY 4/23 (14H) - 1.3565 (+61)

4/24 (05H) - 1.3566 (+60)

CLOSE 4/25 (00H) - 1.3626

BUY 4/26 (17H) - 1.3604 (+19)

4/27 (00H) - 1.3597 (+26)

4/27 (07H) - 1.3598 (+25)

CLOSE 4/27 (15H) - 1.3623

A total of +296 pips, subtract 16 pips (8 trades x 2 pips), for anet of +280 pips!

The reason why there are multiple open trades, is because RSI-14 did not reach 60 level, and the market ranges up and down, and then up again.

Kindly put in a STOPLOSS option of 20 pips please.

Shinigami:

RSI crossover:

1. buy when

RSI-14 < 40

RSI-14 of this bar is higher than RSI-14 of the previous bar

RSI-5 is at least 5 points higher than RSI-14

... and, RSI-5 of this bar is lower than RSI-5 of the previous bar

Like what happened on Apr 4 (0H), when the value of RSI-5 is 44, and RSI-14 is 37 (difference of at least 5 points). And the previous value at Apr 3 (23H) of RSI-5 is 22, and RSI-14 is 29, to make a RSI "cross".

The value of which are taken at the close of the candle, at the candle where the cross just happened. If it happened on the next candle, we don't open any trade at all.

Take a look at Apr 9 (18H), the RSIs did cross, but the difference is only 2 points (RSI-5 is 39, and RSI-14 is 37). On the next candle at 19H, as the trend continues, and the difference of the RSIs becomes 5 points (RSI-5 is 45, and RSI-14 is 40), but we don't open a BUY trade because the RSI CROSS happened on the "next" candle already.

2. close buy when

RSI-14 > 60

RSI-14 of this bar is lower than RSI-14 of the previous bar

RSI-5 is LOWER than RSI-14 at least 1 point

... and RSI-5 of this bar is higher than RSI-5 of the previous bar.

Like what happened on Apr 5 (2H), when the value of RSI-5 is 53, and RSI-14 is 60 (a difference of at least 1 point only is enough to close the trade). And the previous value at 1H of RSI-5 is 77, and RSI-14 is 65, to make a RSI "cross".

3. vice-versa for sell, meaning we sell when we close buy and we buy when we close sell

Not neccessarily, while closing the BUY trade, we need the difference of RSI-5 and RSI-14 at 1 point only, while to be able to open a SELL trade, the difference must at least be 5 points.

Again, backtesting this using the Strategy Tester at MT4 gives me a different result, as against my manual testing. Is it possible that we test the BUY trades only first? Then test the SELL trades, or both BUY and SELL trades simulteanously later?

Thanks!

Files:

Rsi ea

Hi all. I am new to this forum other than searching it for an EA that I'm after for the last few days.

I am also totally ignorant when it comes to EA and programming although it is something that I would like to learn eventually.

What I am after is an EA that is RSI based that will take a reversal trade when the RSI gets into overbought/sold. With other criteria of course.

I have tried to load one called RSI-TRADER1-1 that I found on one of the threads, but I cannot get it to work.

I have an Indicator that would be very close to the same criteria that I have attached.

Would be grateful if anyone could help

Cheers

Ian

Files:
rsi.zip  16 kb

Someone requested a small update and here it is for all to see and use

Small update includes:

- fixed improper max lots (now 1 means 1);

- added MaxSumOrders. Use it if you want to have, for example, maximum of 1 order, buy or sell. As long as its 0, MaxBuys and MaxSells are used.

Send me a private message if you want a personalized version of this EA or want to make a different one.

capian

So you want someone to make EA based on RSI indicator attached? Please note: it repaints its past.

If you downloaded v3, please remove it and download this file instead. MaxSumOrders now works properly.

Thanks a lot for helping m8, if I' ll ve good results to my tests I 'll share here.

Bb

Netmastro

Shinigami:

Small update includes:

- added MaxSumOrders. Use it if you want to have, for example, maximum of 1 order, buy or sell. As long as its 0, MaxBuys and MaxSells are used.

Send me a private message if you want a personalized version of this EA or want to make a different one.

capian

So you want someone to make EA based on RSI indicator attached? Please note: it repaints its past.

If you downloaded v3, please remove it and download this file instead. MaxSumOrders now works properly.

Small note: provided EA was profitable in 2006-2007. I just tested it on 2009-2010 period and its still profitable!

Feel free to let me know if you can think of a way to make it work better

Shinigami:

Small update includes:

capian

Hi Shinigami,

Sorry to sound so ignorant,but what does that mean"it repaints its past"

I think I can remember seeing an idicator called ROC that repainted the last few bar. I take it that's a bad thing for backtesting?

Thanks in advance.

capian:
Hi Shinigami,

Sorry to sound so ignorant,but what does that mean"it repaints its past"

I think I can remember seeing an idicator called ROC that repainted the last few bar. I take it that's a bad thing for backtesting?

Thanks in advance.

Basically, any indicator repaints its current bar (bar 0, the current price, open bar, till it closes high/low/close prices can change, so can indicator value). But some indicators are made to "repaint" its past bars - closed bars where prices don't change any more.

In this case we have a few problems:

- indicator values change over time depending on current price

- indicator signals can disappear and in some cases...

- new indicator signals appear several bars in the past, resulting in "perfect" signals that are impossible to reproduce while trading - the price already moved far away from respective level

- if the EA opened an order on a signal and the signal later disappeared, it would seem like EA is not working correctly. Same thing with signals appearing later in the past.

Basically: if indicator repaints heavily, its results are impossible to reproduce in real-time. If indicator repaints a small bit, some signals can vanish, others can appear in the past.

I don't recommend using indicators that repaint for EAs. Some can be used during manual trading for analysis purposes but they're dangerous for live trading.

Shinigami:
Basically, any indicator repaints its current bar (bar 0, the current price, open bar, till it closes high/low/close prices can change, so can indicator value). But some indicators are made to "repaint" its past bars - closed bars where prices don't change any more.

In this case we have a few problems:

- indicator values change over time depending on current price

- indicator signals can disappear and in some cases...

- new indicator signals appear several bars in the past, resulting in "perfect" signals that are impossible to reproduce while trading - the price already moved far away from respective level

- if the EA opened an order on a signal and the signal later disappeared, it would seem like EA is not working correctly. Same thing with signals appearing later in the past.

Basically: if indicator repaints heavily, its results are impossible to reproduce in real-time. If indicator repaints a small bit, some signals can vanish, others can appear in the past.

I don't recommend using indicators that repaint for EAs. Some can be used during manual trading for analysis purposes but they're dangerous for live trading.

Thanks for the help Shinigami,

So that EA probably won't help me.

I changed a few of the values on it to try and get it closer to what I have but then I couldn't get it to work.

I am thinking that I should really try and learn how to code an EA myself.

Could you point me in the right direction as to where I should start.

Maybe I could get a template to start on and then change whatever needs to be changed to suit my own system, but I can't seem to work out the language.

Is it similar to writing an Excel formula??

Thanks in advance

Ian

Tor 1.20 for shinigami

Files:
tor_1.20.mq4  33 kb
Reason: