R1/R2 System

I saw the url to the tradingmarkets site on the Yahoo forum and decided to code it. It is a rough take on what I understood. It may need some polish.

I am publishing this system with the understanding that the users are going to try to find good settings for it and will post their findings here. I hope the trolls don't try to sell it. It is not that great anyway.

Try it on daily bars and see what you can make out of it.

Good luck.

Files:
r1r2_v1.mq4  10 kb

R1 R2 Ea

Maji:
I saw the url to the tradingmarkets site on the Yahoo forum and decided to code it. It is a rough take on what I understood. It may need some polish.

I am publishing this system with the understanding that the users are going to try to find good settings for it and will post their findings here. I hope the trolls don't try to sell it. It is not that great anyway.

Try it on daily bars and see what you can make out of it.

Good luck.

Hi Maji,

Can you confirm that what your EA is doing is the following?:

Here are the Rules new improved r2 strategy)

The SPX is above its 200-day simple moving average (you can use any S&P 500 derivative product, including the SPYs, E-minis, etc).

Day 1 - the 2-period RSI is below 65. This tells us that the market is in a neutral to possibly oversold condition.

Day 2 - the 2-period RSI closes lower than Day 1.

Day 3 - the 2-period RSI closes lower than Day 2.

Buy the market (SPX, SPY, E-mini, etc) on the close Day 3.

Exit when the 2-period RSI closes above 75.

By visually comparing the trades of your EA with the indicators posted in the Elite forum for this strategy,it seems to me that there are some differences..

Regards

Simba

Files:

Simba,

Here are the buy and sell conditions in my EA:

Buy = Cl1>MA1 && Cl2>MA2 && Cl3>MA3 && RSI3<RSIBuy && RSI2<RSI3 && RSI1<RSI2;

Sell = RSI2RSISell;

Short = Cl1<MA1 && Cl2<MA2 && Cl3RSIShort && RSI2>RSI3 && RSI1>RSI2;

Cover = RSI2>RSICover && RSI1<RSICover;

I think it is doing more or less what is in the rules, other than the fact that I am checking that the closing values of the index for the three days being considered, are always above their 200 day MA.

Maji:
Simba,

Here are the buy and sell conditions in my EA:

Buy = Cl1>MA1 && Cl2>MA2 && Cl3>MA3 && RSI3<RSIBuy && RSI2<RSI3 && RSI1<RSI2;

Sell = RSI2RSISell;

Short = Cl1<MA1 && Cl2<MA2 && Cl3RSIShort && RSI2>RSI3 && RSI1>RSI2;

Cover = RSI2>RSICover && RSI1<RSICover;

I think it is doing more or less what is in the rules, other than the fact that I am checking that the closing values of the index for the three days being considered, are always above their 200 day MA.

Maji,

Thanks,probably I should recheck more carefully..if anything,I will let you know..

Regards

Simba

R2 Strategy With A Twist

Hi Maji,

You were right,the strategy per se is nothing to be excited about,though by tweaking the concept(MA FILTER+SHORT TERM OSCILLATOR) you can obtain promising results

I just did several fast tests with my usual mt4 platform(the one for testing with the separate data crashed yesterday..;)),so data quality is low,since we are talking d1 tf thought worth of posting,jointly with the EA developed by Malcik,that I attach..You know,we were working on it when I saw your post..after reading the relevant posts at the Elite section.

Basically with the Malcik's EA you can choose your filter,SMA,EMA,HMA,JMA,SATL..your period for the MAs..and your oscillator,choosing between RSI and JRSX,and oscillator periods and levels.

The very preliminary settings I have found for Cable are D1SATL( I am biased,I know ),JRSX 2..and changed the levels from 65/35 to ,yes it is not a typo,40 and 60(the high is 40 and the low is 60)..and 70/30 for the exits..Nice results for Cable,then i tested out of sample same settings on gbpjpy and results were a disaster..

I think that the concept is worth exploring and expanding,basically to be able to modify,independently each tf,for the filter and oscillator..and to expand the number of alternative oscillators we can use..I was thinking about the fisherized versions of cybercycle,cog,of Ehlers posted by bluto in this forum,or whatever other favourite pet indicator we may have

Would like to know your opinion

Regards

Simba

Test Results

Hi Maji,Hi Malcik

Test results..in sample optimum for cable(OF COURSE,EXCELLENT..;))..then applied "as is" to out of sample GBPJPY(VERY GOOD),USDJPY(GOOD),EURJPY(BAD),bad too for usdchf and EURUSD..Looks like there is something for the high volatility majors..probably?

D1 period and the fact that I am testing on normal platform gave low quality data,though I don`t think it affects too much on D1 tf

Regards

Simba

Hi Maji, Simba, and others,

Interesting stuff... thanks for bringing it to the public setion.

I might have a little aversion against "normal" indicators and prefer digital indicators... I guess though that it is rather an illnes which needs to be cured -- I have to learn to keep it simple, stupid

This is probably not going to make us millionaires in a month but it should be a robust system. Though when optimizing, the out-of-sample tests don't look that promising anymore. So we must be aware, still I think it has a good potential and is worth working on / bringing to lower TFs ... what do you think?

Simba and Malcik,

Thank you for your time and effort. Unlike you guys, I am a big supporter of KISS. In my opinion, all these digital filters are not any more effective than simple ones. The grand daddy of digital filters is John Ehlers. However, brokers stopped auto trading his MESA system recently because it has broken down. Remember, the beauty of MA... it has a lag and that gives time to confirm that the move is not a fake. Try to think contrarian... when everyone is trying to find the latest, try to look back in the history books... there in will success be waiting

Maji

Maji:
Simba and Malcik, Thank you for your time and effort. Unlike you guys, I am a big supporter of KISS. In my opinion, all these digital filters are not any more effective than simple ones. The grand daddy of digital filters is John Ehlers. However, brokers stopped auto trading his MESA system recently because it has broken down. Remember, the beauty of MA... it has a lag and that gives time to confirm that the move is not a fake. Try to think contrarian... when everyone is trying to find the latest, try to look back in the history books... there in will success be waiting

Hi Maji,

I wouldn`t want to enter into theological discussions with you,regarding indicators relative merits in miraculous increases in account size,everybody have their rights to believe what they want..I don`t think like you regarding mas and digital filters(BTW any moving average is a low pass digital filter..;),so the discussion would border the esoteric..),though this is my problem ..anyway I do think that Kiss is essential and i don`t understand why you have the opinion that we prefer complicated..

Nothing more basic ,at a conceptual level,than a trend filter and a single oscillator for entry/exit..the fact that we just want to test all the potential candidates for both makes us complicated??

Anyway,the intention of our posts,since we thought you were interested in further exploring the R2 system was to see if you wanted to cooperate with us ,or if you wanted us to cooperate with you..;) in achieving a simple EA that can be traded in the high tfs for a variety of currencies..

Regards

Simba

Simba,

I definitely want to cooperate. Count me in

Maji

Maji:
Simba, I definitely want to cooperate. Count me in

Maji,

Thanks..;)..what steps do you suggest we take?

Regards

Simba

Reason: