How to convert historical data for Metatrader

How do you convert data so that it can be imported into Metatrader? I have historical data but it needs to be converted so that Metatrader can read it. I'm having problems with the date. Metatrader wants it as

2004.05.31 but I have my format as 4/7/2005. How do I do an easy conversion in Excel for this?

freefly79:
How do you convert data so that it can be imported into Metatrader? I have historical data but it needs to be converted so that Metatrader can read it. I'm having problems with the date. Metatrader wants it as 2004.05.31 but I have my format as 4/7/2005. How do I do an easy conversion in Excel for this?

There is Excell program for conversion somewhere in this section https://www.mql5.com/en/forum

still can't find

Thanks for the response, but I still can't find the tool that does the conversion in that forum. Can you be more specific to where I can get this tool? Thanks

I think I found it

I think I found the software that will convert the excel data I have into readable Metatrader format. I'm trying to use it but can't figure it out. I keep getting a runtime error 9. Can I pay you to convert my data for me?

The program I'm using is

Convert HST to CSV V2_95.zip

freefly79:
I think I found the software that will convert the excel data I have into readable Metatrader format. I'm trying to use it but can't figure it out. I keep getting a runtime error 9. Can I pay you to convert my data for me?

The program I'm using is

Convert HST to CSV V2_95.zip

It is simple excel.

Use Russian version of this program and use English just for translation.

Which data are you converting? MetaStock?

There is EA to convert MetaStock to Metatrader.

I have problem with time. I may do it if it is not many files (for free of course).

But try you first.

if anyone really has solved the historical data problem I wish they would make the data available for download here somewhere.

Aaragorn:
if anyone really has solved the historical data problem I wish they would make the data available for download here somewhere.

I posted data for 4 majors since 2001 till now here https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/general

can you tell me what I need to do to this file?

Can you tell me what I need to do to this file in order to make it work with _Convert HST to CSV V2_95_eng?

All I did in convert program was enter the path of the file, the path to store it, and then I selected Metastock from the options. I am curious how the program is able to tell what rows are what in the excel file. Help please! I would actually like to learn how to use the converter instead of someone doing it for me so I can do it again when I need to.

I did change the suffix from an excel file to .txt so that I can upload it.

Files:
gbpjpy_1hour.txt  862 kb

freefly79:
Can you tell me what I need to do to this file in order to make it work with _Convert HST to CSV V2_95_eng?

All I did in convert program was enter the path of the file, the path to store it, and then I selected Metastock from the options. I am curious how the program is able to tell what rows are what in the excel file. Help please! I would actually like to learn how to use the converter instead of someone doing it for me so I can do it again when I need to.

I did change the suffix from an excel file to .txt so that I can upload it.

I tried your file with _Convert HST to CSV V2_95_eng and got runtime error (overflow). May be it is because your file is big (about 1mb)?

There is EA for conversion (attached). Place the file for conversion in /files folder (C:\Program Files\MetaTrader4\experts\files for example). Open this EA in MetaEditor and change inside the code the following:

string metastock_filename = "GBPJPY 1hour.txt"; string csv_filename = "GBPJPY60_1.csv";

where

- "GBPJPY 1hour.txt - name of your file to be converted;

- "GBPJPY60_1.csv - name the final converted file.

Then attach this EA to any chart and wat. I tried and it takes a long time.

_Convert HST to CSV V2_95_eng is much more simple and very quickly. May you zip your originalfile (the other one) but don't change the file extention. Just zip it (by Winzip).

Files:

Editing historical data

Hello,

I bit on the side for this thread, but I am wondering how to edit 1 minute data when it comes to tick volume. I have changed the volume data in five places on the 1 minute only in History Center, I then refresh the chart and it shows correct data. But after a few seconds the chart updates by itself and shows the old values again.

So my question is why does it do this? Does it have something to do with that it has to fit with the 5 and 15 minute history data also?

Thanks,

Laurus

It seems that it has to do something with some kind of protection (whatever kind of protection they thought of in this case - maybe to prevent "false chart showing", it is not a users priviledge :):)).

As a similar example : try generating offline data on weekend and you will see that same stuff working too : after a generated bar or 2 it simply reverts the state to old state. It does not happen if the chart is not opened, so it is the chart itself that does that.

Laurus12:
Hello,

I bit on the side for this thread, but I am wondering how to edit 1 minute data when it comes to tick volume. I have changed the volume data in five places on the 1 minute only in History Center, I then refresh the chart and it shows correct data. But after a few seconds the chart updates by itself and shows the old values again.

So my question is why does it do this? Does it have something to do with that it has to fit with the 5 and 15 minute history data also?

Thanks,

Laurus
Reason: