How to on Linux ? - page 7

ralph.ronnquist:
Perhaps you were wrong about the general interest?

OK... I'm fair dinkum mate! The bloody moderateur put my post here after I started a new thread.

I've run a dedicated linux (debian) server for a year, with only ssh as entry point. It's a 2GHz AMD 6.10 processor with 1Gb RAM.
OK... my box qualifies
Then I run XP in vmplayer (can run a few of them), and display to an Xvnc for remote access (through ssh tunneling). I made sure the XP is pristine and afaik all nonsense turned off, and it seems to go several weeks without reboot. The linux host has been up all the time of course.

OK... whats vmplayer. My home computer is xp pro or xp home (got 2)... what is afaik?

My server is almost always up. Well... in 9 months I've never seen it down.

But what do I do to get all this to work? Cost is not an issue, I already pay $240 a month for a server that's barely used.

Some people seem to have had success running MT4 under wine, and that would probably be a better approach (esp then it's all free software). But it didn't seem reliable when I started, so I took the vmplayer route instead.

Man... I'm getting tired of the "Gotta get it for free" mentality. I don't haqve an issue with cost, infact I'm going to just get a dedicated Windows server if I can't get this up in a week.

vmware is a way to run windows as a virtual machine inside a linux installation. I have done it both ways and much prefer running MT4 under wine (faster, less overhead etc.....) AND better execution of EAs.

Better execution of EAs?

I am trying to pin that down as one individual (the owner of EA Programming) says that in his testing the Linux solution fails and uses all of the CPU..

Icons

BTW, I got all the icons in Wine - you need OpenGL to get the icons. The only free solution I could find so far was xf4vnc. Now I have icons.

dwmcqueen:
Better execution of EAs? I am trying to pin that down as one individual (the owner of EA Programming) says that in his testing the Linux solution fails and uses all of the CPU..

Sounds like he has a conflict or something wrong with his wine installation. This is not normal and I haven't experienced this in any of my installations. I been running MT4 under linux with wine for months doing live trading.

Do you just install MFC40 MFC42 and wingdings font? That is all I have done, in addition to use xf4vnc so I have the render extension to get the icons.

dwmcqueen:
Do you just install MFC40 MFC42 and wingdings font? That is all I have done, in addition to use xf4vnc so I have the render extension to get the icons.

I install all windows fonts, mfc40.dll and mfc40.dll and run wine in xp mode. I had problem with icons disappearing in I think it was wine version 0.9.35 but they reappeared in next wine version (which luckily was a week later)

I haven't done anything else to get the icons, running Ubuntu Fiesty Fawn.

OK... whats vmplayer.

vmplayer is software provided by VMWare (VMware: Virtualization, Virtual Machine & Virtual Server Consolidation - VMware) to run a virtual host as an application. Many linux distributions include vmplayer.

They use the term "virtual appliance", and in my case, I have made an XP virtual appliance, and installed MT4 on that. There is a small amount of setup required to get the appliance made; either by using the "vmware server" application, or getting an appliance of suitable virtual hardware configuration, and using vmplayer to install XP over that. (You cannot setup the virtual hardware with vmplayer but need to buy the vmware server for that).

Once you've got your virtual host built, it will reside in the vmare files, which you can copy over to your remote server, and run remotely. vmplayer needs an X environment for it to display in. Xvnc (RealVNC remote control software) is a good choice as it's already set up for remote viewing. Many linux distributions include Xvnc.

what is afaik?

abbreviation of "as far as I know"

The wine (Wine HQ) approach has less setup, but it still has some GUI glitches in MT4, which may or might not be important to you. I think it certainly runs perfectly in hands-off mode, both on the live/demo streams and in back testing. However, some dialogs refuse keyboard interactions, so setup needs to be done by loading files.

However, some dialogs refuse keyboard interactions, so setup needs to be done by loading files.

Try the F2 key

gpw797:
Try the F2 key

Thanks. Yes, it's really the double-click gesture, which should open the input field for editing, that doesn't work. But by selecting an input field, one can navigate with arrows and use F2 to open the selected field, and then edit it with the keyboard.

That's very good. So: use wine (plus a good mfc42.dll. I found mine at http://www.bomatech.com/download/Mfc42.dll).

I suppose the vmplayer approach still does give a "real" XP to run in, but who would find that an advantage?

Reason: