Convert this MT3 into MT4 for me - very easy - page 2

Convert this MT3 into MT4 for me - very easy

I'm considering switching from MT4 to MT3.

I've just finished editing my very first expert advisor.

It took me about 4 weeks to learn enough about MT and MQL4 to finally get my strategy programmed, but now I think I might just convert the program to MQL2.

From what I've read on this forum, I don't see any advantages to MT4.

What I have read, and learned through backtesting my EA, is that the MT4 Strategy Tester does not work. For this reason alone, I think it only makes sense to spend a few more days making the switch so that I can get an accurate backtest with MT3.

I've already downloaded and installed MT3 and taken a look at the editor dictionary. I can see that there are fewer features with MT3 than with MT4, but I don't think that will be a major problem.

One feature of my MQL4 EA that I was relying on heavily, was the OrderMagicNumber for storing the original pending order's price, which can change with slippage when the order is filled.

MQL2 orders don't have OrderMagicNumber, but I did notice in the MQL2 dictionary a function called OrderValue which, in its description, says the function can retrieve an order's comment (VAL_COMMENT).

If I can use the comment to store the prefered price, I think I can make the switch to MT3. However, I was not able to find in the dictionary, how to set the order comment. The SetOrder function description does not list "comment" as one of its parameters.

Can anyone familiar with this feature of MQL2 tell me how the order comment is set?

BC Brett:

From what I've read on this forum, I don't see any advantages to MT4.

What I have read, and learned through backtesting my EA, is that the MT4 Strategy Tester does not work. For this reason alone, I think it only makes sense to spend a few more days making the switch so that I can get an accurate backtest with MT3.

So, where have you read that the MT3 backtester is more reliable than the MT4 backtester???

I think you are very mis-informed about this!

MT4 backtesting can be very reliable, but it depends on the quality of the history data that you have and your modelling quality %.

You will not be able to add "comments" or assign "MagicNumbers" to sent orders in MQL2 the way it can be done in MT4 programming. MT4 programming is more advanced than MQL2 programming, why move backwards?

You might want to read about MT4 backtesting here: http://www.strategybuilderfx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15309&page=1&pp=8

(if you can not access the page you will need to sign up as a member - it is free)

From what I've gathered here and there, people that are a bit serious about backtesting use softwares such as WealthLab, Amibroker or MetaStocks, NOT mt3 or mt4.

Maybe, mt4 backtesting can be about ok IF you don't use any intrabar data. For example, if you work with daily bars, you should use only Open and Close values of daily bars (and not even High and Low if you set StopLosses or Take Profits). Nothing else.

The reason is, despite what their "modelling quality" might say, the only mt4 backtesting method that uses REAL data is "Open prices only".

"Every tick" and "Control Points" methods are nice fairy tales. Personnally, I won't trade money based on fairy tale data backtesting.

I'm still learning mt4, but in my experience, I wouldn't use mt4 backtesting in any other way. I'm not even 100% sure the way I suggested is 100% reliable. If I want to do good backtesting, I will get a backtesting software.

About mt4 vs mt3 for trading live: from what I've gathered here and there ;-) mt4 can't be trusted. Sometimes, orders that mt4 says were not executed, are in fact executed!! This was reported by brokers. If this is true, then brokers offering mt4 live trading aren't serious. Or, they made sure mt4 bugs didn't happen on their platform, it's possible too.

On the other hand, "I ve gathered here and there" lol that trading live with mt3 is possible.

Convert this MT3 into MT4 for me - very easy

Hi guys, I would appreciate if somebody could convert this into MT4 language for me - our broker just upgraded to MT4.

Here is the code:

/*[[

Name := TTM Stoch

Author := Scott Black

Link := http://www.tradethemajors.com

Separate Window := yes

First Color := Cyan

First Draw Type := Line

Use Second Data := yes

second Color := Magenta

second Draw Type := Line

Minimum Chart Limits := 0.000000

Maximum Chart Limits := 100.000000

]]*/

Inputs : Slw(8),Pds(13),Slwsignal(9);

Variables : AA(0),bb(0),aa1(0),cnt1(0);

Variables : shift(0), cnt(0), loopbegin(0),loopbegin2(0),loopbegin3(0), first(True), prevbars(0);

Variables : sum(0), smconst(0),smconst1(0), prev(0),prev1(0),prev2(0),prev3(0), weight(0), linear(0);

Variables : MAValue(0),MAValue2(0),mavalue3(0), MAstring("");

Variables : MyHigh(0),MyLow(0),counter(0),Price(0),Price1(0);

SetLoopCount(0);

smconst = 2 / (1+SLW);

smconst1 = 2 / (1+slwsignal);

loopbegin = loopbegin+1;

For shift = 2000 Downto 0 Begin

prev = GetIndexValue2(shift+1);

AA =100* ((Close[shift] - Low[Lowest(MODE_LOW,shift+pds,Pds)]) / (High - low[Lowest(MODE_LOW,shift+pds,Pds)]));

MAValue2 = smconst * (aa-prev) + prev;

SetIndexValue2(shift,MAValue2);

loopbegin = loopbegin-1;

End;

loopbegin2 = loopbegin2+1;

For shift = 2000-pds downto 0 Begin

MyHigh = -999999;

MyLow = 99999999;

For counter = shift to pds + shift Begin

PRICE= GetIndexValue2(counter);

If Price > MyHigh Then

MyHigh = Price;

If pds <= 0 Then

MyHigh = Price;

If Price < MyLow Then

MyLow = Price;

If pds <= 0 Then

MyLow = Price;

end;

prev1 = GetIndexValue(shift+1);

aa1=GetIndexValue2(shift);

bb=100*(aa1-mylow)/(myhigh-mylow);

MAValue = smconst * (bb-prev1) + prev1;

SetIndexValue(shift,mavalue);

loopbegin2 = loopbegin2-1;

End;

loopbegin3 = loopbegin3+1;

For shift = 2000 downto 0 Begin

prev2=GetIndexValue2(shift+1);

prev3=GetIndexValue(shift);

MAValue3= smconst1 * (prev3-prev2) +Prev2;

SetIndexValue2(shift,mavalue3);

loopbegin3 = loopbegin3-1;

end;

/*[[

Thank you very much!!

scott TTM:
Hi guys, I would appreciate if somebody could convert this into MT4 language for me - our broker just upgraded to MT4.

Here is the code:

/*[[

Name := TTM Stoch

Author := Scott Black

Link := http://www.tradethemajors.com

Separate Window := yes

First Color := Cyan

First Draw Type := Line

Use Second Data := yes

second Color := Magenta

second Draw Type := Line

Minimum Chart Limits := 0.000000

Maximum Chart Limits := 100.000000

]]*/

Inputs : Slw(8),Pds(13),Slwsignal(9);

Variables : AA(0),bb(0),aa1(0),cnt1(0);

Variables : shift(0), cnt(0), loopbegin(0),loopbegin2(0),loopbegin3(0), first(True), prevbars(0);

Variables : sum(0), smconst(0),smconst1(0), prev(0),prev1(0),prev2(0),prev3(0), weight(0), linear(0);

Variables : MAValue(0),MAValue2(0),mavalue3(0), MAstring("");

Variables : MyHigh(0),MyLow(0),counter(0),Price(0),Price1(0);

SetLoopCount(0);

smconst = 2 / (1+SLW);

smconst1 = 2 / (1+slwsignal);

loopbegin = loopbegin+1;

For shift = 2000 Downto 0 Begin

prev = GetIndexValue2(shift+1);

AA =100* ((Close[shift] - Low[Lowest(MODE_LOW,shift+pds,Pds)]) / (High - low[Lowest(MODE_LOW,shift+pds,Pds)]));

MAValue2 = smconst * (aa-prev) + prev;

SetIndexValue2(shift,MAValue2);

loopbegin = loopbegin-1;

End;

loopbegin2 = loopbegin2+1;

For shift = 2000-pds downto 0 Begin

MyHigh = -999999;

MyLow = 99999999;

For counter = shift to pds + shift Begin

PRICE= GetIndexValue2(counter);

If Price > MyHigh Then

MyHigh = Price;

If pds <= 0 Then

MyHigh = Price;

If Price < MyLow Then

MyLow = Price;

If pds <= 0 Then

MyLow = Price;

end;

prev1 = GetIndexValue(shift+1);

aa1=GetIndexValue2(shift);

bb=100*(aa1-mylow)/(myhigh-mylow);

MAValue = smconst * (bb-prev1) + prev1;

SetIndexValue(shift,mavalue);

loopbegin2 = loopbegin2-1;

End;

loopbegin3 = loopbegin3+1;

For shift = 2000 downto 0 Begin

prev2=GetIndexValue2(shift+1);

prev3=GetIndexValue(shift);

MAValue3= smconst1 * (prev3-prev2) +Prev2;

SetIndexValue2(shift,mavalue3);

loopbegin3 = loopbegin3-1;

end;

/*[[

Thank you very much!!

Hi Scott...

Try this....

Files:
ttm_stoch.mq4  5 kb

Hellkas,

i'm afraid that didn't quite work out. Go to www.compoundfx.com/mt3stoch.jpg to see how it should look on the MT3 chart - i tried to upload this but it didn't work.

thanks for your efforts, perhaps this will help?

When i plot it in MT4, i only see a magenta line and not a cyan - although i do see the input is there.

scott

Hi,

First hellkas I will appreceate you keep my file header after converting the mql indicator with my tool Mql2Mq4 !!!

Then it's normal that the converted one does not work properly, if you look in Metatrade 4 in the Expert message log TabSheet (Panel) you will see "Zero Devide exception" like on this picture. In the Indicator script you use divide operator, with some times NULL :-( that's whyt this error, and I repeat, in Metatrade 3, there were no exceptions generated for that, nevertheless in Metatrade 4.

I put the converted one working like on MT 3, and you can see what type of change i've made.

Bye bye

Files:
exception.jpg  52 kb
ttmstoch.mq4  5 kb

yousky,

Thanks very much, it looks perfect! I appreciate it.

-SB

yousky,

Okay, after further review, it isn't totally there yet. It still gives me false readings on MT4, ie the lines aren't crossing where they should be. I used the code that you put here. Any ideas?

SB

Reason: